Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trail Running Glen of Aherlow

• 17-04-2015 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi folks.

Just dropping by to let you know about a new trail running group in Tipperary. We are casual runners who like to run the tracks and trails of the Glen of Aherlow in County Tipperary. We run on Sliabhnamuc which is the home of the Glen of Aherlow loop the loop race every September. We also run in the Galtee mountains usually to different lakes but if the weather is clear we go run across the whole range for about 30k.
    We are a casual group and everyone is welcome. We take it nice and easy and is enjoyable for everyone, plenty time for chats, take photos, enjoy the views etc.
    We go for a long run on Sunday mornings for between 20k to 30k or so and we also do shorter runs during the week.
    If you are interested please comment here or check out Tipperary Trail Runners on Facebook.

Comments

Sorry, but have to ask as I see messages from this group pop up on Facebook a lot.

I get the whole meet up and train together thing, a group of us further into the SW do it too.

But why the charge? Do ye get a bus or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Agreed. I've seen messages from this group on the IMRA Facebook page and the same question occurred to me. Why the five euro charge? If it's pay-per-run it's commercial, not casual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I presume it's for sandwiches and fizzy pop after the run. Or maybe insurance, while on the trail. Or perhaps it's for some form of fund-raiser for the preservation of the Glen of Aherlow trails. Or maintenance and upkeep of the Facebook page. Hardly for profit?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Love2run

Hi folks, thanks for replies and messages. The main question and comments is about why there is a charge for running with us. I said we are a casual group, as in we are relaxed about our running. We dont run flat out and leave people to fend for themselves. We all pretty much stick together and go at a relaxed steady pace.

For me the number one reason for a charge is this. Where we run in the Sliabhnamuc hills there are only one or two waymarked trails. These trails are for walking really and for where we want to run and where we park etc. the layout of these trails doesn't really work. For anyone who knows the area there are no waymarked trails at all from the Bansha woods side at all, even thought there are some smashing trails over that side.
    Many of the old fireroads/tracks are not mapped out but do connect together to make some smashing running areas with great views and technical trail running routes.

On the Galtees side there are two walks. One goes from the car park to Lough Curra and the other one goes to Lake Muskry from the other car park. If you want to go to the top of the mountain you are pretty much on your own. Without map and compass skills you cant really go up there. There are no waymarked trails or routes at all on this side of the Glen but there are loads of old tracks and fireroads etc. which would make for some nice runs.
    I see lots of photos from the Wicklow mountains and how the mountains have waymarked tracks and sleepers on the mountain.

It is my hope to build some proper new trails, connect old trails and tracks and to get some signage made and erected. There is probably at least 60k of tracks, trails and fireroads that could be connected to make a great facility for runners, walkers, bikers etc.

Of course all this would cost some money to do. I contacted local tourist groups but they are not interested. I am awaiting a response from Coilte outdoors to see if there is anything they can do or would be willing to do.

no.2 is to pay towards flyers and posters to be designed and printed.

no.3 I hope to build a website but need money for design, domain and hosting.

no.4 I have done runs with MMRA and there was always a charge for running these.

no.5 I hope to start a trail running club in the future and again, finances is the major thing here too.

Thanks again, if anyone wants to come along any time just let me know. We can go for a run or I can go for a stroll and have a chat about what I hope to do in the future with the trails. Look up Tipperary Trail Runners on facebook to see details and photos of where we run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Its interesting to see this developing in this way.

I have been involved personally in trying to develop trail running in the Galway area and one of the things I was told was that with a commercial venture IMRA would not sanction it or any events that we would organise.

As a result any group runs that we have done have been without charge and publicised through a standalone website www.chillr.org as much as possible. There was an issue with the website having been paid for through the shop hosting, this has led to a split in the group unfortunately, but ultimately my goal is similar to yours so I wish you the best of luck with it.

I fully understand the cover charge but I would suspect you would be better to form a club now so that you can lay out a mandate for the money and be indemnified rather than be seen to 'pocket' the cash. If nothing comes of the project longer term people will have a grievance with you over what happens to the money.

• Advertisement

Love2run wrote: »
    It is my hope to build some proper new trails, connect old trails and tracks and to get some signage made and erected. There is probably at least 60k of tracks, trails and fireroads that could be connected to make a great facility for runners, walkers, bikers etc.

Of course all this would cost some money to do. I contacted local tourist groups but they are not interested. I am awaiting a response from Coilte outdoors to see if there is anything they can do or would be willing to do.

Um.

If the money is for new trails, would you not contact the landowner first? They might quickly decline the prospect of new routes across their land.
    no.2 is to pay towards flyers and posters to be designed and printed.

no.3 I hope to build a website but need money for design, domain and hosting.

no.4 I have done runs with MMRA and there was always a charge for running these.

no.5 I hope to start a trail running club in the future and again, finances is the major thing here too.

I have to say I'm puzzled. It kinda almost sounds like a private business plan or venture, developing trails, building up a group, flyers and websites (for training runs, what's wrong with Facebook?), collecting money to start a club etc. etc. The money MMRA collects is, presumably, largely spent on prizes, the food afterwards and insurance.
    AKW wrote: »
    I fully understand the cover charge but I would suspect you would be better to form a club now so that you can lay out a mandate for the money and be indemnified rather than be seen to 'pocket' the cash. If nothing comes of the project longer term people will have a grievance with you over what happens to the money.

Agree. The good thing about a club is the AGM where accounts are usually read out and questions can be raised so members are satisfied and know where their money is going.

Conor,

Can I just ask, what exactly is it about what we do that troubles you. If somebody wants to pay to run with us then fine, if they dont then thats no problem. People can go when ever and where ever they want.

Conor,

Can I just ask, what exactly is it about what we do that troubles you. If somebody wants to pay to run with us then fine, if they dont then thats no problem. People can go when ever and where ever they want.

Oh nothing at all troubles me. Just was puzzled as the prospect of paying made it sound like a private venture (which again is fine). Just not sure that it would be a valid comparison with MMRA.

Sure I may have helped you. If you ask the landowners, and (as I suspect) they reject the prospect of new trails over their land, won't I have saved you all that effort and the need to raise funds at all?

Plus, I note from the Facebook page that it's not really something that just "troubles me". In fact the latest status update on that page acknowledges that "why the charge" is "the main concern people seem to have"!

Hi all, I am back again. Good news this time.

After reading replies here and from messages and chats to other runners I have decided that all runs with Tipperary Trail Runners from now on will be free of charge.

I think if I am honest I was putting the cart before the horse as regards my vision for the group. I should have been concentrating on building up the group rather than planning websites, signs, trails etc.

Thanks again for helping to open my eyes to what I was doing wrong and please if any of you are in the Glen of Aherlow anytime please join us for a run FREE OF CHARGE.

Keep an eye on our facebook page Tipperary Trail Runners for details of our runs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Good stuff Love2run - seems like a much healthier approach. Build a community first, then, if required, build a club, build an environment and build a presence. I think everybody appreciates the fact that these things are run on the basis of goodwill and volunteering. Over time, costs may arise or fundraising opportunities to better the environment, but it's better to seek funding for a specific goal or purpose and keep it voluntary, rather than talk of charges. Anyway, good luck and will look your group up if I'm back in that part of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Swinefluproof

Sorry for hijacking the thread but is there any database of trails suitable for running with maps/directions etc.? Have been looking online and I can't find much to be honest. Run a few trails locally but would love to be able to hit a few further away ones every now and again just to mix things up

Run Sunday 24th May

Our run Sunday morning is going to be our longest group run yet.
    The plan is to go from Aherlow House car park at 7am.

We will try to cover as much of the trails as we can without repeating a section. There will be plenty of places where you can end your run if you like and return to the car. A rough guide of what we will be doing looks like this;

Start Aherlow House.
    Down by Ballinacourty.
    Up by the mast.
    On up Heartbreak Hill (the long drag towards the Dolmen).
    Down left by the hill route.
    Follow bottom fireroad to barrier.
    Follow centre trail back up to dolmen.
    Down the hill, follow red trail back down by back of Aherlow House.
    Turn down into nature park.
    Take lower trail out of park.
    In by statue to Bansha Woods back out on to Horse hill and on to Rock an Taorbh car park.
    Back in by lower road from car park.
    Follow road to millenium stone and back in.
    Follow other trail back out to nature park.
    Take higher nature trail out onto main road and the turn down to Aherlow house for finish.

I am not sure exactly how long this will be but I reckon at least 50k in total. Pace will be nice and handy. We can drop some items in various places beforehand so it will lighten the load. This is more about time on the feet so some walking should be expected.

Please be sure to have enough food and water to last you and bring suitable clothing. The hotel will be open after the run where you can get soup or a meal if you like.

Any questions, or if you are interested please comment here, pm me or phone/text me, Paul on 086 2107603. Runs are free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ron Gomall

I ran the Glen of Aherlow marathon last year, was a great trail (quite tough), beautiful scenery & great hospitality/ craic, will definitely give you a shout for a run in the coming months before this september, best of luck with the new group

Ron Gomall wrote: »
    I ran the Glen of Aherlow marathon last year, was a great trail (quite tough), beautiful scenery & great hospitality/ craic, will definitely give you a shout for a run in the coming months before this september, best of luck with the new group

No problem Ron, we will do a few runs of the route before for sure. I will post here at the time.

Ron Gomall wrote: »

No problem Ron, we will do a few runs of the route before for sure. I will post here at the time.

Advertisement