Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Special late train for Ireland match tonight

• 05-03-2014 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

There is a special service being put on today from Limerick to Dublin for the Ireland match, leaving at 22:30 tonight. When I try to buy the return ticket on the Irish rail website, it only gives one departure time which doesn't suit me. Could I buy a return leaving at a different time and still get the 22:30 train back?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

You may be, but you will need to pay €10 at the station to change it.

I'd contact them directly, as it is a special fare.

Remember that the train back leaves from Dublin Connolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭21 Schump Street

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

How did you get on? Was there any problems with getting the earlier train.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭21 Schump Street

lxflyer wrote: »
    You may be, but you will need to pay €10 at the station to change it.

I'd contact them directly, as it is a special fare.

Remember that the train back leaves from Dublin Connolly.

I wish everyone getting the train read this as the train left Connolly, stopped and went back to Heuston to pick up people who went to the wrong station!
    roundymac wrote: »
    How did you get on? Was there any problems with getting the earlier train.

I actually was able to get the train at the correct time so I don't know if there would have been problems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

I wish everyone getting the train read this as the train left Connolly, stopped and went back to Heuston to pick up people who went to the wrong station!

via a rail line/tunnel which Irish Rail claims has no real use for...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

I actually was able to get the train at the correct time so I don't know if there would have been problems.

It was supposed to stop on platform 10 to change drivers but did passengers get on there or did it make its way into the main station. From what i heard there was only around 50 tickets sold for the Cork train and about the same number with tickets got on at Connolly. Less people booked on the Galway train and those that had booked got on at Connolly.
    I can't see it being put on again.

ClovenHoof wrote: »

When did they ever say that?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    It was supposed to stop on platform 10 to change drivers but did passengers get on there or did it make its way into the main station. From what i heard there was only around 50 tickets sold for the Cork train and about the same number with tickets got on at Connolly. Less people booked on the Galway train and those that had booked got on at Connolly.
    I can't see it being put on again.

It was a friendly played by slightly above mediocre teams :) Was Lansdowne sold out? I very much doubt the demand for this game is anywhere near what it would be for a full international!

Part time supporters :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

Part time supporters :)

More like work full time and can't make a Wednesday evening KO from the provinces supporters ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Tunnel in regular use, just only rarely for passengers. This is pretty much as it has always ben, although timetabled trains did once use it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

I have always said that IE need a Cork-Dublin-Belfast Premier express service with Cork trains by-passing Hueston and serving Connolly instead.

no one would use it...I assume there are flights for that....

edit...seems I was wrong! can't see much demand though for a through train

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Lots of times and you know it!

corktina wrote: »
    Tunnel in regular use, just only rarely for passengers. This is pretty much as it has always ben, although timetabled trains did once use it.

Hilly Bill knows damn well the point being made.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

ClovenHoof wrote: »

Did they use the tunnel via the Phoenix Park?
    no one would use it...I assume there are flights for that....

edit...seems I was wrong! can't see much demand though for a through train

Can't either, the Cork to Dublin train is a horror of a journey as it is, can't imagine having to then endure the Entreprise

It was supposed to stop on platform 10 to change drivers

Why?

route knowledge maybe?

route knowledge maybe?

Can't be that simple. A driver takes it from Connolly to Platform 10 and a new driver takes over to Limerick or whatever? Seems bonkers. Who drove the train to Connolly in the first place? Or did it only go to Heuston originally and why?

I'd say it was exactly that - route knowledge.

The train would have worked a normal service into Heuston (there were no specials to Dublin), so a Connolly or Heuston driver would have then taken it to Connolly, and then presumably the same driver brought it back to Heuston, and a Cork driver then took it south.

I doubt any Cork drivers have route knowledge of that section of track.

• Advertisement

I'd say it was exactly that - route knowledge.

The train would have worked a normal service into Heuston (there were no specials to Dublin), so a Connolly or Heuston driver would have then taken it to Connolly, and then presumably the same driver brought it back to Heuston, and a Cork driver then took it south.

I doubt any Cork drivers have route knowledge of that section of track.

Is this the whole seperation of "sheds". It seems inconceivable that all drivers can't drive a train between Heuston and Connolly. What about the Galway and Limerick specials? Same story? What about ITG, IRRS specials departing Connolly for Cork etc.? Honestly, why is the PPT route so special that it requires these driver changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Rootsblower

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Is this the whole seperation of "sheds". It seems inconceivable that all drivers can't drive a train between Heuston and Connolly. What about the Galway and Limerick specials? Same story? What about ITG, IRRS specials departing Connolly for Cork etc.? Honestly, why is the PPT route so special that it requires these driver changes?

Since a driver must operate over a route at least once every six months to maintain route knowledge and there being no regular services through PPT from Cork/Limerick/Galway drivers in those depots wouldn't have route knowledge from Heuston to Connolly

Lots of times and you know it!

Show me
    Hilly Bill knows damn well the point being made.
    Do i??
    Stheno wrote: »

/QUOTE]

Yes they did
    Why?
    The clue is in the post.

There is nothing special about this - it is common practice with railways all over the world.

The IRRS/ITG specials would have been driven by a Heuston driver throughout as they would have the relevant route knowledge.

But if a Heuston driver were to drive the Cork special through to Cork last night, how does he then get back home to Dublin, given it wouldn't have arrived there until near 2am? Taxi? The train presumably would return attached to one of the regular ICR services this morning (they may have shortened an earlier service).

Doing it the way they did, presumably the Cork driver came up as a passenger on one of the trains during the early evening, and then drove the train back to Cork thus negating any additional transport costs.

Cork drivers wouldn't normally have any cause to drive to Connolly, so why would you expect them to have route knowledge?

Can't either, the Cork to Dublin train is a horror of a journey as it is, can't imagine having to then endure the Entreprise
    There is nothing special about this - it is common practice with railways all over the world.

The IRRS/ITG specials would have been driven by a Heuston driver throughout as they would have the relevant route knowledge.

But if a Heuston driver were to drive the Cork special through to Cork last night, how does he then get back home to Dublin, given it wouldn't have arrived there until near 2am? Taxi? The train presumably would return attached to one of the regular ICR services this morning (they may have shortened an earlier service).

Doing it the way they did, presumably the Cork driver came up as a passenger on one of the trains during the early evening, and then drove the train back to Cork thus negating any additional transport costs.

Cork drivers wouldn't normally have any cause to drive to Connolly, so why would you expect them to have route knowledge?

It came straight back empty.

Well in that case perhaps driver hours came into play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,154 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

because its one more excuse for them not to open it to full time passenger service like they should

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

The only thing that confuses me about sheds is the presence of three driver depots on the Northern line, Connolly, Drogheda and Dundalk, and how commuter/Enterprise route knowledge and links are shared between them.

because its one more excuse for them not to open it to full time passenger service like they should

Why should they? Its ok as it is.

• Advertisement

Why should they? Its ok as it is.
    because it opens up a link between both dublins terminus stations and could offer more travel opportunities for people and when dart underground comes itself and the phoenix park tunnel could complament each other, so no its not okay as it is

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

It also adds extra traffic through Connolly. Whats wrong with using the Luas.

It also adds extra traffic through Connolly. Whats wrong with using the Luas.
    use of the tunnel could offer up more traveling opportunities to the public, so a train from newbridge to maynooth for example, nothing wrong with using the luas all though i do find it slow and i'd rather just walk over to another platform and jump on a train to hueston rather then walking all the way out to the luas and winding slowly through the streets of dublin stopping at traffic lights along the way, luas is no excuse not to open up this vital piece of infrastructure for the people of ireland to allow more travel opportunities to everyone via rail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Can't either, the Cork to Dublin train is a horror of a journey as it is

Whyso? I get it regularly (in fact I'm on it right now) and it's grand.

use of the tunnel could offer up more traveling opportunities to the public, so a train from newbridge to maynooth for example, nothing wrong with using the luas all though i do find it slow and i'd rather just walk over to another platform and jump on a train to hueston rather then walking all the way out to the luas and winding slowly through the streets of dublin stopping at traffic lights along the way, luas is no excuse not to open up this vital piece of infrastructure for the people of ireland to allow more travel opportunities to everyone via rail.

How will you get to Maynooth via the tunnel?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Its a bit messy.

Advertisement