Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheapest way to Mullingar

• 15-07-2013 6:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12

Anyone know of the best way to get there from Galway city, either by Bus or train? I'm looking to save. It seems there is no train from Galway to Mullingar. I must go to Heuston first and then onwards. Or maybe I am wrong.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

No train from Heuston either.

Trains serving Mullingar depart from Connolly.

The handiest way from Galway to Mullingar using public transport is by Bus Éireann route 70 from Galway to Dundalk. Departs Galway at 12.30 weekdays and involves a change in Athlone. It gets into Mullingar around 15.35.

Another way is Bus Éireann Route 20 to Kinnegad.

Change at Kinnegad and cross the street to get the 115 service towards Longford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

€20.14 single or €27.55 return with Bus Eireann

€36.60 single online and €46.10 online return with Irish Rail via Dublin and excluding €3 online fees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

You can get the train to Tullamore and the local Tullamore to Mullingar bus service. Try journey planner on Transport for Ireland. App available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

efb wrote: »
    You can get the train to Tullamore and the local Tullamore to Mullingar bus service. Try journey planner on Transport for Ireland. App available
    it is operated by Slieve bloom coaches. http://www.slievebloomcoaches.ie/mullingar_19.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 thirteentwenty

okay thanks for that. I'll just get the bus then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,934 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Easiest option is Bus Eireann who will sell you a through ticket from Galway to Mullingar.

As posted above you can go via Athlone or via Kinnegad.

Times from Galway to Athlone and Kinnegad are here:
    http://buseireann.ie/pdf/1360752896-020X.pdf

Services from Athlone to Mullingar are here:
    http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1360753126-070.pdf

Services from Kinnegad to Mullingar are here:
    http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1349780398-115.pdf

Use the journey planner on the Bus Eireann website to plan it as any journey using a combination of other modes/operators that comes up on the NTA journey planner will end up costing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭SeanW

Anyone know of the best way to get there from Galway city, either by Bus or train? I'm looking to save. It seems there is no train from Galway to Mullingar. I must go to Heuston first and then onwards. Or maybe I am wrong.
    Damdest thing is that I'm fairly sure you are not the only one that would appreciate a direct Galway-Mullingar(-Connolly) train service - there is actually an old train line that links Athlone and Mullingar directly, but our national railway and government in their infinite wisdom closed it in 1986 and allowed it to decay rapidly since 2003.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭SeanW

If you're stuck you could always take a bus to Enfield and a train from there to Mullingar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I would get the Citylink bus from Galway to Kilbeggan.
    You can see the times on citylink.ie look under the commuter service.

If you get this bus at 7.30 in Galway, you will arrive in Kilbeggan at apox 9.40.
    When you get off at the bus stop in Kilbeggan, walk away from the square up to John Carroll Car sales on the Dublin Road.
    At 10.20 you can take the townlink bus service from Kilbeggan to Mullingar at the cost of €6 single.

If you look up the citylink timetable you can find out the later time.

The townlink going to Mullingar stops in Kilbeggan at 7.35 (not sat),10.20, 2.20pm and 5.35

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Walk?

• Advertisement
Advertisement