Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Signing of the season so far?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Somewhere somehow at a club far far away Emmanual Heskey is been spoken in these same kind words :eek:

5in6 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,898 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Michu
    Leiva wrote: »
    Somewhere somehow at a club far far away Emile Heskey is been spoken in these same kind words :eek:

5in6 now.

FYP

Now, RVP was a great signing for United but its not like they wouldnt be able to score goals without him. I think the biggest impact has come from Berbatov at Fulham, its like hes back in his prime at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭theavenger

Christian Benteke? Good player in a poor team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

G.K. wrote: »
    Mis-judgement, I guess. Felt I had to get a CB and acted on that.

Would have taken both Caulker and Yacob were both still available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Eirebear wrote: »
    I assume this is a PL thread, but forgive me for branching out.

Fraser Forster signing permanently for Celtic has been massive, figuratively and literally.

Definitely, in the 2 years on loan he went from an awkward looking lad with poor distribution to having great reflexes, no issues getting down for low shots, comfortably able to kick off both feet. He kept 21 clean sheet in his first year and kept 23 of Celtic's 25 SPL clean sheets, 26 CS's in total, last year, which was a new SPL record and a large part of Celtic best defensive record in 90 years.

He should have been in the England squad for the Euros, it was disgraceful that he wasnt involved and I thought that was going to be the reason that he wouldnt sign a deal with Celtic. Everyone had been saying that English players dont get call ups playing in the SPL and I thought he was going to by into that thinking because the deal dragged out until the last week of his loan deal. To get him for £2m was daylight robbery! Delighted when he signed and his displays in Europe this year are no surprise to anyone that have seen him regularly play in the SPL and Europa League.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Oscar
    Carroll to West Ham - did LFC a great favour :P

but seriously, if LFC shift Cole in the jan window, easily transfer of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Vertongen should be on that list. I would say Hazard from those options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Blatter wrote: »
    I've seen Richard Hillman post about United and other PL clubs before, he's grand imo.

I don't agree with his stance on Rooney but it's a genuine opinion that he's entitled to hold. No need to be paranoid and assume somebody is a ABU just because they hold an opinion that you don't agree with.

fair enough, sounded like an ABU to me, happy to hold up my hands and say I got it wrong

Michu
    I'm thinking all things considered, it's Berbatov. Not just because of recent performances, but also because of the cost, I mean Man Utd still pay part of his wages and he only cost Fulham about 4-5 mil!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Michu
    I think Berbatov too, value for money n'all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,884 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Hazard
    Sacramento wrote: »
    I'm thinking all things considered, it's Berbatov. Not just because of recent performances, but also because of the cost, I mean Man Utd still pay part of his wages and he only cost Fulham about 4-5 mil!

I didn't know utd were still paying any of his wages? All reports say that Fulham smashed their wage structure to get him (£110kpw)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Cazorla
    Blatter wrote: »
    I've seen Richard Hillman post about United and other PL clubs before, he's grand imo.

I don't agree with his stance on Rooney but it's a genuine opinion that he's entitled to hold. No need to be paranoid and assume somebody is a ABU just because they hold an opinion that you don't agree with.

Ever since he said Real Madrid are ethnically superior to Barcelona it's hard to take anything he says seriously.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Michu
    Evan McMillan, centre half and striker extraordinaire..

Or Berbatov.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

Steve Clarke

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Hazard
    A less obvious one IMO would be De Guzman for Swansea. Michu has obviously been grabbing all the headlines with his goals but De Guzman has been very good for them. Shame he's only on loan with them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Cazorla
    How can Van Persie be the signing of the season?

As great as he is, he was always going to be. (barring injury)
    Last seasons player of the season and he cost £20 million plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hazard
    eugeneious wrote: »
    A less obvious one IMO would be De Guzman for Swansea. Michu has obviously been grabbing all the headlines with his goals but De Guzman has been very good for them. Shame he's only on loan with them though.

Good outsider there. Been very impressed with him.

Know few Swansea fans who think he has been main man even ahead of Michu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Hazard
    Pro. F wrote: »
    Ever since he said Real Madrid are ethnically superior to Barcelona it's hard to take anything he says seriously.

He's a bit of a messer when it comes to Barca alright but I've found him grand otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Hazard
    JPA wrote: »
    How can Van Persie be the signing of the season?

As great as he is, he was always going to be. (barring injury)
    Last seasons player of the season and he cost £20 million plus.
    Bit of a contradiction there no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Cazorla
    cambo2008 wrote: »
    Bit of a contradiction there no?

Dunno, I think the signing of the season should be about value and shrewdness in the market as well as actually signing a good player!

• Advertisement

Hazard
    JPA wrote: »
    Dunno, I think the signing of the season should be about value and shrewdness in the market as well as actually signing a good player!
    Suppose everybody has their own criteria. For me it's the player who has had the biggest impact at the club they joined.
    There was no guarantee that van Persie would have the impact he's had so far.
    Look at Torres, Shevchenko, Veron etc.
    Doesn't always work out.

I would have expected Sahin to be in this thread even though it's only a loan but he's been terrible so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Hazard
    Looks like it's between Van Persie and Michu at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Diame should be on that list. An absolute beast of a player, and he was bleedin free!!

Pity he's now out for the bones of 3 months, but he'll be snapped up by a bigger club soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

Michu easily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,734 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

So far it has to be Michu. No brainer.

He only cost £2m and already has bagged 13 goals this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Pogba.

For a compansation payment only, is becoming a beast of a player in Italy

Hazard
    I think yesterday only strengthens RvPs case here. That's Chelsea, Liverpool, City and Arsenal he's scored against in his short time at United. Big game players like that are not so common.

The first 3 mentioned were all away from home too and a set of fixtures where we picked up a measly single point from last season as opposed to maximum points in this.
    An invaluable addition to the squad.
    Michu the best of the rest for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Dante

Hazard
    Jordan Rhodes, he scores when he wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Berbatov
    RvP for me, he'll win United the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Bit early days yet no? Surely end of season dictates this?

Van Persie
    Has already had a massive impact, and if it stays the same, paying around 20mill for this sort of top quality return will be a bargain considering the money thats being touted around for strikers.

Michu
    Anyone who watched a bit of La Liga already knew about this guy, but now operating up front is quiet dangerous. His return so far is excellent, but I'd hold off to see how he copes with the xmas rush, might drop off. so far a big bargain.

Hazard
    Being touted around here as a bargain. Had a bright start but has fallen of a far bit, and for the money spent, would hardly label a bargain. A good signing yes, but not some revelation.

We all knew what and who he was, hence why big money was spent.

End of season, could well see Berbatov and Dembele in there too

Advertisement