Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Jaysus,2 defeats in a row and the "Wenger Out" brigade shows up already,madness.

People can criticise Wenger without saying they want him to leave.

No way in hell I want him gone but he's managed pretty much every one of the last six transfer windows woefully. He continuously goes for the cheapest possible option that will do just enough instead of going out, spending some real money and turning us into actual contenders. And now having done that year after year we now need to go blow a wad of cash just to have a go at fourth place as opposed to the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Galvasean wrote: »
    In the spirit of the times let my first post here say....

WE'RE DOOMED!!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Wenger certainly deserves a large proportion of blame for the lack of signings needed (and quality) but an equal amount of the blame needs to be directed towards the board imo.

It seems like the board have restricted spending and let Wenger out on his own to an extent to deal with the ire of fans. Certainly this is the impression I get from the opinions of journalists who cover Arsenal and other people who have close dealing with the club.

The wage bill is quite high as some have mentioned but is Wenger even involved in that side of things anymore? And even if the wage bill is as high as our competitors, the actual transfer spending is far and away lower than any of our rivals. There should be plenty of money there to spend on transfers, so basically it comes down to why it's not being spent, and what will it take for us to spend it? (probably the fear of missing 4th)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Ill admit I have been one of Wengers biggest critic in recent times, but its only because I dont see fourth place in the league as being satisfactory for a club of Arsenals stature, we should be aiming for 1st. Now we can all speculate on whos responsible for our transfer policy be it Wenger or the board well never know for sure until someone speaks out, but either way we can all agree theres a problem there.

My biggest gripe with Wenger is for the last few years we have not lived by his footballing philosophy and played attractive football, weve become flat and predictable in our style of play to the point were many a team now has us figured out and we have no plan b when it doesnt work.

Also were is the drive from the players he puts out onto the pitch we go behind all you see is heads dropping no fighting spirit at all no passion for the club, only one player springs to mind really from the current crop and thats Szczesny, were are the the days of Martin Keown in Van Nistelrooys face after missing a peno, the like of Vieira who never gave up and would do his best to get the team going again.

Its a managers job to pick the tactics and implement them, and to motivate his players so they have a desire to win at all costs, thats were he has failed Arsenal and the supporters. Yes you could say we havent got them type of players anymore leaders but that still falls on Wengers door.

Now im hoping he can turn it around and prove me wrong in fact id be delighted if he could but ive lost faith at this stage in his ability to do so. But if he does ill hold my hands up and say fair play. I say give him till the end of the season and see what happens no point calling for his head mid season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Frisbee wrote: »
    We need two more players before the window closes or we'll be playing on Thursdays next season.

And of course the worst thing about that is that we could no longer call them Spursdays :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Have to agree with bulmers above about the lack drive and determination been shown by the players. Heads drop far to easily. The players are responsible for this but wenger has to take blame also. He just doesnt seem to be able to motivate them. Part of the problem i reckon is players seeing arsenal as a stepping stone to barca, city and other clubs like them and dont really give two ****s about arsenal in the long run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

jonny666 wrote: »
    Have to agree with bulmers above about the lack drive and determination been shown by the players. Heads drop far to easily. The players are responsible for this but wenger has to take blame also. He just doesnt seem to be able to motivate them. Part of the problem i reckon is players seeing arsenal as a stepping stone to barca, city and other clubs like them and dont really give two ****s about arsenal in the long run

This is a fair point. Too many players that just seem to accept it if they're losing. The only players that I can think of that aren't like that are szczesny, vermaelen, jack, Koscielny and RVP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

This whole 'club of Arsenal's stature' stuff is something I don't fully get. You do realize that over the course of Arsenal's history they've had some successful periods, and some not so successful periods. And on average the wait between successful periods is around 7 seasons*.

Arsenal are only a big club in the modern sense because Wenger made them into one. Could have easily gone the way of the other sleeping giants i.e. Leeds, Villa etc. Fair enough we might do better with a new face but don't bite the hand that feeds and all that.

*: the wait between major trophies when we've gone 2 seasons or more without winning one, that's adjusted for WWII btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

This whole 'club of Arsenal's stature' stuff is something I don't fully get. You do realize that over the course of Arsenal's history they've had some successful periods, and some not so successful periods. And on average the wait between successful periods is around 7 seasons*.

Arsenal are only a big club in the modern sense because Wenger made them into one. Could have easily gone the way of the other sleeping giants i.e. Leeds, Villa etc. Fair enough we might do better with a new face but don't bite the hand that feeds and all that.

*: the wait between major trophies when we've gone 2 seasons or more without winning one, that's adjusted for WWII btw.

I think he's been a victim of his own success - both in how you describe above and in that when he came to England he revolutionised so much thinking in football. Before too long though clubs were copying his regimes and his scouting networks and its become harder and harder for him to keep his competitive edge. It hurts me to say this but maybe things do need freshening up a bit and Arsene should be moved upstairs to let a fresher face with new ideas take over.

Having said that the board will need to freshen up their ideas too and loosen those purse strings a little. I'm not talking Man City levels but surely if they'd been a bit bolder we'd be in a much better position now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

a club that charges the most expensive ticket prices and has one of the biggest staduims in England should aspire to more then scraping a CL place each year. Especially with our most successfuly manager still in charge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

a club that charges the most expensive ticket prices and has one of the biggest staduims in England should aspire to more then scraping a CL place each year. Especially with our most successfuly manager still in charge

One of the reasons the ticket prices are so expensive though is because they overpaid massively for the land in order to stay in Islington (not only did they have to over pay the council for land used by a refuse centre, but they had to fund the acquisition and construction of a replacement location). I know that wont mean much to your average oversea fan like me, but the extent to which the club overstretched themselves to accomodate their local fan base has to be acknowledged.

All I'm trying to point out btw is that things are never as black and white as the average fan likes to think. An awful lot more tends to go into those decisions than the whims of an invidual.

I'm beginning to think we do all our shopping at Poundland or the local second hand shop

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2086419/Saad-Al-Mukhaini-arrives-Arsenal-trial.html

Here's some better news though. Wilshere could be back early Feb and Vermaelen and Sagna could be back for Man U. Sagna wouldn't start though, would he ? Not after 4 months out.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2087559/Arsenals-Jack-Wilshere-return-February-4-EXCLUSIVE.html

Could be losing Botelho though - thanks to his own stupidity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

greendom wrote: »
    Could be losing Botelho though - thanks to his own stupidity

This is his 5th season on loan, he's hardly up to much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Looks like we're offering van Persie trials to prove his worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Christ Samba hands in transfer request.

I'm not a massive fan of Samba, think he's been overhyped but he'd defo add to the squad. I know people will say you don't need another CB but in reality we could always use one.

Verm will see more time on the left wing in the near future methinks and we can't always rely on both Mert and Kos to be fit. I mean, he probably would have played yesterday if we had him.

Also, he'd be our second best striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,198 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That comes from lack of success. If they experienced success they would want more and fight harder a la Man Utd and Chelsea. Their players don't lie down and accept defeat like ours do. Their manager won't accept that kind of mentality so when they do lose they nearly always bounce back straight away. Arsenal need to win something but to do that you need a good panel of players who are prepared to knuckle down and fight when up against it. We don't have those players because our great manager and Board are happy with mediocrity it seems. As long as profits are being made who cares about the fans.

gosplan wrote: »

I'm not a massive fan of Samba, think he's been overhyped but he'd defo add to the squad. I know people will say you don't need another CB but in reality we could always use one.

Verm will see more time on the left wing in the near future methinks and we can't always rely on both Mert and Kos to be fit. I mean, he probably would have played yesterday if we had him.

Would have preferred him to Metersacker, truth be told. He certainly would have been more effective when he has to go in the opposing penalty area. It's a possibility I suppose if Squillaci does clear off to Monaco and they are mad enough to pay money for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

greendom wrote: »
    I'm beginning to think we do all our shopping at Poundland or the local second hand shop

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2086419/Saad-Al-Mukhaini-arrives-Arsenal-trial.html

Wow, a player so obscure it was easier to find a picture of the guy who scouted him! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Underground

Frisbee wrote: »
    People can criticise Wenger without saying they want him to leave.

No way in hell I want him gone but he's managed pretty much every one of the last six transfer windows woefully. He continuously goes for the cheapest possible option that will do just enough instead of going out, spending some real money and turning us into actual contenders. And now having done that year after year we now need to go blow a wad of cash just to have a go at fourth place as opposed to the title.

Not saying he's above criticism or anything like that, of course he deserves a fair share of criticism for his part in what has been a disappointing season thus far.

Just can't see how we could get someone better, who could do any better given the financial restraints. I can understand his reluctance to spend as pretty much everyone decent is overpriced in January and the 2 record signings in Arshavin and Reyes both turned out to be disappointing.
    Plus,he's hardly helped by some lacklustre performances á la Arshavin and Ramsey yesterday.

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    Book those tickets!
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/16567387.stm

edit: Perhaps Kanu will be the next arsenal old boy to be brought back?

Actually, anyone else think Wenger responded to one of those 'Rich king of Nigeria' emails? :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Mike Dean refereeing on Sunday ffs
    Awful referee, loves United. Never forget that game where he sent Wenger off for kicking the water bottle. He also booked 8 of our players when we hadnt a bad foul and let Fletcher make 10 fouls and no booking. Was seething after.

Always Mike Dean, Dowd or Webb when we play United. The 3 most pro United referees. UGH UGH UGH

On another note I think we will beat United Sunday. Whats that you say Mr Negative being positive?

Well it reminds me exactly of the game last season against them. We were in such a terrible run, chaos and most importantly played them at home, that it was bound to happen.

We will beat them but sadly don't be surprised if we lose to Spurs and/or Bolton in the next few games. Thats the way we roll, thats why its the most frustrating team to support, one step forward ten backwards.

Anyway even with the injuries, Wenger off his rocker, the team playing ****e, the fans baying for blood, and United hammering us with 8 goals a few months back and with their no 12 Mike Dean togging out, WE WILL WIN.

Well DB10, if we don't win I am holding you personally responsible!

DB10, Have you been on the Sherry? :P

Wait and see lads! :pac:

None of us thought we would win against Chelsea but we really turned the predictions on their head there.

I think in alot of these big games it comes down to on the day and what luck you get. United are comfortably better than us but they were last season also, and we won the match.

I just have that feeling again, surely the players have to have some pride or dignity in the jersey, we just lost two shockers against Fulham and Swansea, nevermind the humiliation United already gave us.

If the players aren't motivated for this game then I give up, but I just think they will be. We are capable of winning this game one off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Rosicky has to start against United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

amacachi wrote: »

Never thought you'd say that ay?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

gosplan wrote: »

We could do with some divine intervention alright :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

amacachi wrote: »

do you mean

Gah, rosicky has to start :mad:

or...

look lads, Rosicky has to start vrs united

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement