Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Seiko Watch - Good Jewellers To Have Links Removed?

• 22-08-2007 11:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

I bought a nice Seiko watch from eBay and I need to have some links removed. Can anyone reccomend a good jewellers to have this done properly in the city centre? Any idea of how much it would be likely to cost?

This is the watch I bought.
    SNA411.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

eo980 wrote:
    Hey Folks,

I bought a nice Seiko watch from eBay and I need to have some links removed. Can anyone reccomend a good jewellers to have this done properly in the city centre? Any idea of how much it would be likely to cost?

SNA411.jpg

shouldnt cost more than 10 euro . any jewellers worth their salt should be able to do it in 5 minutes.
    Nice watch..never seen as much writing on a watch in my life!
    Heres mine (its real, not a replica, just got the image from google)

omega-planet-ocean-swiss-04.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Nice watch Kaizer! I've always fancied an Omega watch and maybe I'll have one someday, but damnit they are expensive.
    I've always liked Seiko watches and I quite like the Flightmaster. It originated from PanAm needing a watch for their pilots and I received a manual with the watch on operating the Slide Rule................... :eek: :eek: :eek: I think you need a degree in Mathematics to use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

omega's are really nice watches, especially seamasters, i even have one myself.

in keeping with the thread i'll post the one i have :D
    my one is the 2000 model and the one below is the 2006 model, not much difference except the one below is co-axial.

2220.80.00.jpg

due to the metal strap expanding ever so slightly in winter i have to get links put into it, then in summer i have to get links taken out.

i get weir's to do it for me as since i bought it there all i do is i bring in my warranty card and go get a starbucks in dundrum and then collect the watch in 10 minutes, it's free which is not what i'd expect really but it's nice of them to offer the service.

It's amazing the variation in service you can get:

I went into Field's Jeweller's in the Jervis Centre with my new watch and an old Seiko of 30+ years. I needed links taken out of the new watch and that was done in a few minutes and was just €10.
    The 'bar' that connects the strap to the watch was broken on the old one and a bit of it was stuck in the 'hole'. She lookd at it immediately and told me 'No, you'll have to go to a watchmaker'. She gave me the name of a place to go and then I told her that was the place that had fitted the new strap to the old watch.

So I decided to be brave and try John Brereton's on Capel Street. It's a little posh and I ain't. I showed it to the young guy there and he gave me considerably more information than I had gotten in the Jervis Centre. He told me it was a non-standard design and wasn't a current thing (the watch is 30+ years old). He told me they could send it back to Seiko and see if they could fix it and that it wouldn't cost much so he wouldn't bother to ring me with an estimate. So I left it with them.

A much better service. Not a flat out no, more information and the ability to send it back to the manufacturer. I wonder why Fields couldn't reccomend that?

BTW Cremo- I have seen some very nice Seamaster's about the place. What kinda price do they sell for in a Jeweller's?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's the one maker I always wanted an example of, but never got around or had the money to buy. Being me I'd be going vintage.
    rx2209.jpg
    This lad is the pre moon speedmaster with the original movement that was actually tested by NASA. I'd love one. 2000 dollars kind of area, pricewise. NOt bad for the real deal.
    Or this one from the 1930's for a grand;

rxr0130.jpg

This watch thing is an addiction :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Hey Wibbs. Like yourself I generally prefer vintage watches, but as you say they can be pricey. Hmnnn I feel a bit common liking Seiko with all you fancy pants owning/wanting Omega's!

I'd like an authentic old Soviet watch, but it's difficult to find anything nice/genuine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

I'd recommend bridge Jewellers in Ballsbridge - They'll do literally anything for you.

I've had jewellry custom made there and everything!

Thanks Orlee, I'll remember that, but I got it sorted already and will be sticking with John Brereton's if all works out well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

eo980 wrote:
    Hey Wibbs. Like yourself I generally prefer vintage watches, but as you say they can be pricey.
    Funny enough I would actuallu say the opposite. If you think about it you can get an original speedmaster moonwatch for less than a new one. This goes for a lot of the replica watches that are coming out of the main makers now. You also can get watches with better quality in house movements and more history than the modern copy for much less money.
    Hmnnn I feel a bit common liking Seiko with all you fancy pants owning/wanting Omega's!
    You're lucky we even deign to speak with you, you dreadful oik...... :D
    I'd like an authentic old Soviet watch, but it's difficult to find anything nice/genuine.
    Yea they can be hard to get. A lot of fake sturmanskies and the like on the market.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

eo980 wrote:
    BTW Cremo- I have seen some very nice Seamaster's about the place. What kinda price do they sell for in a Jeweller's?

seamasters really vary in price a lot, but they are all pretty much over the 1000 euro mark with i think the ladies quartz being about 800 euros and the gents quartz being 1000. these quartz models are a complete waste of money as the innards would only cost about 20 euros.

the self-winding seasmasters are where it's at. My one that i posted in my previous thread costs around €1800 in weir's, but you can knock off 10% if you pay by cash if you haggle.

i'll have to send my watch off for a service now in january and at that time i might think about getting a new bracelet and the one i have now is very scratched though the watch face and bezel are perfect. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

eo980 wrote:
    Hey Folks,

SNA411.jpg

are you a pilot or why exactly do u need a watch with an E6B on it?

electric69 wrote:
    are you a pilot or why exactly do u need a watch with an E6B on it?

Nope I'm not a pilot. I like Seiko and I like the design.

Advertisement