Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brennanstown

Options
  • 17-02-2015 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Not sure how accurate this is, but just been informed about the sale of 140ish acres of land with full planning permission, facing Carrickmines Castle area.

From memory is there not a Dolmen in that area?
    Surely this would disqualify any building work within the set distance allowed from a monument?
    Or do Dolmens not qualify as of historical importance?

Hopefully it is incorrect.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Hey folks,

Not sure how accurate this is, but just been informed about the sale of 140ish acres of land with full planning permission, facing Carrickmines Castle area.

From memory is there not a Dolmen in that area?
    Surely this would disqualify any building work within the set distance allowed from a monument?
    Or do Dolmens not qualify as of historical importance?

Hopefully it is incorrect.

They certainly are designated sites that receive protection. I guess the thing to do is assess if the houses come near the precise spot of the tomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Hey,

Not entirely sure what any future plans are, but they would need to stay beyond the minimum distance from a monument surely.
    Also of concern would be the effects any heavy machinery would have regarding the stability of such a monument.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭mocmo

I would assume (admittedly dangerous ;) ) that any planning application for land around there will come with stringent archaeological conditions along the lines of pre-development testing, monitoring of all groundworks and full excavation. It would be unlikely, although not completely unheard of, for a known upstanding monument to be removed for a development, rather I would think they will work around it like the example in the link below.

http://www.megalithicireland.com/Ballybrack%20Dolmen.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

mocmo wrote: »
    I would assume (admittedly dangerous ;) ) that any planning application for land around there will come with stringent archaeological conditions along the lines of pre-development testing, monitoring of all groundworks and full excavation. It would be unlikely, although not completely unheard of, for a known upstanding monument to be removed for a development, rather I would think they will work around it like the example in the link below.

http://www.megalithicireland.com/Ballybrack%20Dolmen.htm

.........or it could be incorporated into the development (Fr. Ted style) like this example in Sligo

http://www.megalithomania.com/show/site/988/abbeyquarter_north_passage_tomb.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭mocmo

:eek:

While I think it is possible to sensitively incorporate monuments into modern developments, that looks pretty grim, especially the cross in the middle!

Excavated by Wood-Martin in 1888 according to this piece

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/news/megalithic-tomb-at-home-in-estate-29623928.html

• Advertisement

Latest update is the Planning Permission is for approximately 140+ houses!!

Large development for that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

I know this monument fairly well.in this particular case the site is safe (for the moment)..there's a luas line between the monument and the proposed housing development..

Hi Maudi,

The developement is on the other side of the Luas Line, The Cabinteely side from what I saw of the plans.
    Approximately where the monument is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Hi Maudi,

The developement is on the other side of the Luas Line, The Cabinteely side from what I saw of the plans.
    Approximately where the monument is.

Yikes!!! Really..can you send /show the pp. Or where does one view it?

• Advertisement

Going by the aerial photo in the Irish Times and the planning file on Dun Laoighre-Rathdown County Council's website The megalithic tomb isn't located on that development site. It's about 100-150m to the east.

You can look up the planning application (ref no.D07A/0161/E) for the development here..
    http://planning.dlrcoco.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/wphappcriteria.display

The exact location of the tomb can be found here...
    http://webgis.archaeology.ie/NationalMonuments/FlexViewer/

Just saw that now,

Primary issue is would any works traffic disturb the monument?

I wouldn't think so as the monument isn't on the actual site.

When there is a monument on a development site a buffer zone of about 20m is often left around the monument in which no development works occur. However, this varies greatly depending on the type of monument, the size and location of the development site, access to the site etc.

If the Brennanstown tomb had been within the boundaries of this development site it would usually be protected from accidental damage from site traffic by having an exclusion zone marked out around it with orange net fencing or something similar.

I can't seem to find the planning conditions attached to this development, but I presume there will be some archaeological works required by the developer. There are three reasons for this-
    • proximity to the megalithic tomb
    • large number of archaeological sites excavated in the surrounding area
    • the relatively large size of the development site and the fact that it is mostly green field

Advertisement