Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Torque wrench

• 25-04-2014 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I recently took the plunge a bought myslef a new bike, its carbon so i was wondering do i need to purchase a torque wrench?

Just wondering what peoples opinions are, so far i have just been tightening to the same number of revolutions as i have loosened.

Any links to any cheap wrenches that will torque to the very low torques required for a bike?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭damo80

I got my BBB one on ribble or winstanely have it too. Best thing I ever got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Any links to any cheap wrenches that will torque to the very low torques required for a bike?
    Cheap wrenches do not usually go low. Their being cheap usually implies inaccuracy.

What ranges of Torques do you want?

I needed a wrench for precision work at low values and bought the FAT wrech. Have a look, nice piece of kit, and works well. Ranges from 10-in.-lbs. to 65-in.-lbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

You buy a torque wrench because you don't want to damage expensive bike parts, so you need to trust in its accuracy and reliability. It is tough to balance accuracy and reliability with "cheap" when it comes to tools. You might be lucky, or you might not.

One compromise you can make reasonably safely is on versatility. Here are a couple of options which are limited by the fact they are set to a specific torque only, but they should be fairly accurate and reliable:

* Ritchey 4nm Torque key and bit set - I have one with a single hex head only (the head is permanently attached, unlike the linked version), and I've been happy with it.

* Bontrager 4mm 5nm key - fixed torque, fixed head, so like my Ritchey one, but I've never used the Bontrager brand in tools so can't comment on its likely quality.

Other variations exists too, in terms of torque the key is set to, the one(s) best suited to your purposes obviously depends on what torque is required for the carbon parts on your bike you expect to have to maintain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭C3PO

I've had the BBB one for years - can't go wrong with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

This Sealey torque wrench fulfils my requirements. I should warn you however, that it's not bike-specific. You should probably put a Park Tool sticker on it to prevent any compatibility issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭greenrocket

thanks for the replies, "cheap" was probably the wrong word. I have bought ones in work that have been very expensive but they do not do the bike specific ranges. I meant a wrench that i could afford. thanks again for the info much appreciated.

Advertisement