Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banshee

Options
  • 07-08-2014 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭

Are there any modern known cases of the Banshee the foreteller of the eminent death of a family member? I heard that certain family names in Ireland are meant to be tied to Banshee folklore.Some 'warnings' are shrill Cries (foxes in the country side or indeed in suburbs) or the sound of a women crying. I think I saw a book on this topic in Ireland cases on the shelves but havent seen it again for sale.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Not2Good

In my own family the story was when someone was dying a hanging picture would move crooked (excuse my bad grammer and spelling) At a death a few years ago the exact moment a relative died his family heard 'pebbles' being thrown at the window of the room where he died. Presumably this is not tied to the Banshee legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Ive heard quite a few modern stories of the banshee. I did find it interesting that there were nuances of the various stories that were quite similar. Not things that happened etc, but how the person felt etc. there is an irish produced book on it for sale online but not in bookshops. google 'banshee barry fitzgerald' and you'll find it or go to http://cormacsbooks.com/?page_id=60 .

Im not a believer in the idea the banshee follows certain families as reports of the banshee go right back before clan and family names existed. I think that idea came in with wealthy people employing wailers for funerals.

maccored wrote: »
    Ive heard quite a few modern stories of the banshee. I did find it interesting that there were nuances of the various stories that were quite similar. Not things that happened etc, but how the person felt etc. there is an irish produced book on it for sale online but not in bookshops. google 'banshee barry fitzgerald' and you'll find it or go to ] .

Im not a believer in the idea the banshee follows certain families as reports of the banshee go right back before clan and family names existed. I think that idea came in with wealthy people employing wailers for funerals.

Cheers, thanks for that. That might be one to read! Not2Good (previously 'Johnny Be Goode')

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

aha! i thought it was a bit weird one username with 'good' ended and a new one started!
    Not2Good wrote: »
    Cheers, thanks for that. I'd say that was the book that I saw. That might be the next one to read! Not2Good (previously 'Johnny Be Goode')

Yeah, busted! And here was me thinking I was being cryptic!

• Advertisement

I remember in Laytown the farmers' stories about the banshee heard in the fields ( foxes cries no doubt). Brother (of the farmer) found dead in the field next morning. The death I believe was true but another layer added in the story to scare the cr#p out of us 10 year olds! Will check out the book as suggested.

Advertisement