Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is really the chances of being shot in the psni

Options
  • 29-07-2014 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

hi i really wanted to join the gardi but with no language its imposable sorry now i did not study harder in school :( im from the south and wanted to know is a lot of what people say about joining BS or is there any truth in it . im not that scared of being shot but would much prefer it not to happen im more worried about when i get married and have kids what will the stroy be like in the north then ?. im 18 now and do you think the best job would be to move to england and join the met or see what is the story in the north . i know the figures are low of officer being killed but the mental side of it know you are all ways a target not no reason than wearing a badge . i know if im haveing these thoughts this job is not for me but i wanted it for years . what is the chances of the ra kicking in the door some night and things like that . can you carry your weapon to the south if you tell the gardi you are wearing it ? . plus im a prod if that makes any difference . cheers for all the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

jhon boy wrote: »
    hi i really wanted to join the gardi but with no language its imposable sorry now i did not study harder in school :( im from the south and wanted to know is a lot of what people say about joining BS or is there any truth in it . im not that scared of being shot but would much prefer it not to happen im more worried about when i get married and have kids what will the stroy be like in the north then ?. im 18 now and do you think the best job would be to move to england and join the met or see what is the story in the north . i know the figures are low of officer being killed but the mental side of it know you are all ways a target not no reason than wearing a badge . i know if im haveing these thoughts this job is not for me but i wanted it for years . what is the chances of the ra kicking in the door some night and things like that . can you carry your weapon to the south if you tell the gardi you are wearing it ? . plus im a prod if that makes any difference . cheers for all the help

I don't know what you mean about having no language? You do know there are plenty of Chinese Gardai and as far as I know, they dont study Irish in China.

As for how likely it is to get your door kicked in? There is no answer to that. How likely is it that a plane will crash on your house while you are sleeping.

With regards to carrying your firearm down south. No is the answer. Would you expect to also carry your firearm if you went on holiday to Spain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

After watching series 1 to 5 of love/hate I reckon your safer in the PSNI than being south of the border in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

bravestar wrote: »
    I don't know what you mean about having no language? You do know there are plenty of Chinese Gardai and as far as I know, they dont study Irish in China.

As for how likely it is to get your door kicked in? There is no answer to that. How likely is it that a plane will crash on your house while you are sleeping.

With regards to carrying your firearm down south. No is the answer. Would you expect to also carry your firearm if you went on holiday to Spain?

All student gardai must take Irish language classes in Templemore and have to pass an oral examination in Irish no matter where they are from or even if you have dyslexia(where you are not required to do Irish in school)

This is because every member of the public has the right to have their dealings with gardai through Irish language or the English language

D Trent wrote: »
    All student gardai must take Irish language classes in Templemore and have to pass an oral examination in Irish no matter where they are from or even if you have dyslexia(where you are not required to do Irish in school)

This is because every member of the public has the right to have their dealings with gardai through Irish language or the English language

Im well aware of the classes, I even remember some of it! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Would you expect to also carry your firearm if you went on holiday to Spain?

There are plenty of lads from Ireland who brings theirs to spain... they are just on the other side of the law :p

• Advertisement

discus wrote: »
    There are plenty of lads from Ireland who brings theirs to spain... they are just on the other side of the law :p

Touche! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Shooting at someone who is in a position to shoot back is not a favoured method of certain so called republicans. It's the sneakier stuff you'll need to worry about more.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

Your CV would be a starting point so make sure it's done properly. Spelling and grammar etc. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

He means he doesn't have a second language. He only has english.
    Chinese guards have english and chinese.

Sorry man but your post is very hard to read. The use of punctuation and paragraphs will certainly help.

If you're unsure of anything contact the depot.
    You're still only 18. You could do a course in a second language. By the time the new recruitment drive is open it could easily be 2016. You've plenty of time to do something constructive that will help.

From having lived in the North and regular trips, the PSNI have savage equipment, uniforms, vehicles, stations etc but I wouldn't do it for love nor blood money.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Your CV would be a starting point so make sure it's done properly. Spelling and grammar etc. ;)

Good starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

You're only 18. 18! Go and enjoy life before you get stuck in a job you may not actually like. Have something to fall back on. Go to college and get a degree in something, or do a trade and have that to fall back on if the police don't work out for you! Then, and only then, think about joining a police force, be it the PSNI or AGS.

Advertisement