Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Former Waterford Cllr denies corruption charges

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Johnny Johnson

tipptom wrote: »
    I feel a little sorry for him to as he seemed in a desperate situation and did not have a penny left so he was open to what happened where as a lot of the others seemed to think it was an extra on top of their big salarys and pensions.If he gets more than 3 years it will be a disgrace considering the facts and the sentances handed down to murderers.He was probably the soft target as the develepor will use expensive lawyers to evade the same fate.

I am sorry but I cannot agree with this. To use your logic nobody would be suitably punished. He took a chance and was caught. Tough titty so some would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭deisemum

scholar007 wrote: »
    You know how Bobbit came to be in the English language, I wonder will the phrase Forseyed become mainstream as in "he left her for a young wan and the wife did a Forsey on him"????

Do you mean Bobbit and lob it? ;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Freddie got fingered is an amazing choice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Wow if he gets the full ten years for what, 80k, half the bankers that fecked this country up to the tune of millions should never see daylight again! And what about all the politicians and property developers who we heard about during the Tribunals, very few of them saw a prison cell. What he did was wrong but this country is so imbalanced when it comes to handing out sentences, it's disgraceful. Be interesting to see what he gets!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

When is this bent scumbag being sentenced?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Media999 wrote: »

I say! thats not exactly cricket old bean. I feel Mr. Forsey shouldn't get anything more than a suspended sentence purely for the amount of entertainment he has provided in the last few weeks. I wish I knew an altruistic developer.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

Media999 wrote: »

Guys he did not steal a penny from anyone.
    Bankers have blown billions on us, Bertie ahearn was found guilty of taking 200k and not a word. I cannot see how he can be sentenced if the rest of them are and have gotten away with it.
    Waterford is full of criminals walking the streets stabbing,raping,setting fire to houses with families in them. This guy is not a criminal. He just made a foolish mistake and was greedy

And as for the person that exposed this and following the trial was giving interviews on national papers and parading like a model....Don't you just love rats.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

Bankers have blown billions on us, Bertie ahearn was found guilty of taking 200k and not a word. I cannot see how he can be sentenced if the rest of them are and have gotten away with it.
    Waterford is full of criminals walking the streets stabbing,raping,setting fire to houses with families in them. This guy is not a criminal. He just made a foolish mistake and was greedy

And as for the person that exposed this and following the trial was giving interviews on national papers and parading like a model....Don't you just love rats.

Ok Fred.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I see Cllr. Carey thinks forsey was hard done by, didnt do anything wrong and hopes he doesnt get jail.

Says it all really about the quality of the local reps out there.

Oh yes. Damn that person who exposed this bribe taking official. For someone who likes to go on about banking officials and so on you are being a wee bit of a hypocrite.

I now choose to ignore rants like yours about banking and Bertie Ahern in threads like this. They have absolutely nothing to do with corrupt Mr Forsey.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I saw the picture and wondered how they got it, but in the text she refused to give an interview but gave a small comment anyway. She was going to make headlines for reporting him after he was found cheating on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Wow if he gets the full ten years for what, 80k, half the bankers that fecked this country up to the tune of millions should never see daylight again! And what about all the politicians and property developers who we heard about during the Tribunals, very few of them saw a prison cell. What he did was wrong but this country is so imbalanced when it comes to handing out sentences, it's disgraceful. Be interesting to see what he gets!

Sentences which are available to the judge are there for a reason - they are seen as a fair punishment for the crime committed.

Everyone who was found by the recent tribunals to have committed fraud and accepted corrupt payments should also be tried in similar fashion - but at this stage they probably won't.

The best outsome is that there will be a line drawn in the sand from this point onwards, abuse your position of power and face the consequences.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I agree with hardbuck. Yes it's tough on the chap and I feel for him being in the financial strife that he was in. In fact it's fair to say if I was in the same situation I very well may have done the same.

However, other people committing the same crime with No punishment is not a defence. He broke the law and he obviously lied about it being a loan.

Hopefully getting tough across the board now will stop things like this happening in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

Oh yes. Damn that person who exposed this bribe taking official. For someone who likes to go on about banking officials and so on you are being a wee bit of a hypocrite.

I now choose to ignore rants like yours about banking and Bertie Ahern in threads like this. They have absolutely nothing to do with corrupt Mr Forsey.

The person was happy for him to take it at the time...!! But then done the dirt. Not correct?

I have NO time for anyone that rats on people. He took a bribe and he DID NOT rob anyone....jesus. This country is so F***** up. I'd take it.. would you not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

I am sorry but I cannot agree with this. To use your logic nobody would be suitably punished. He took a chance and was caught. Tough titty so some would say.
    He did take a desperate chance and was caught and i am saying he should get a suitable punishment but people screaming for the full 10 years is hysterical,i personally think 3 years is more than enough considering the sentances handed out to murderers and rapists.I hope his wife feels good when she watches the inevitable tv shots of him being led in handcuffs in to the prison van while explaining to her childern what she has achieved and will she pay back the ill gotten money that she knew she was receiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Would agree that a three year jail term, and another three or so suspended would be appropriate.

Does anyone know what became of the rezoned land?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭Speak Now

hardybuck wrote: »
    Does anyone know what became of the rezoned land?

Don't think it was ever rezoned!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Paddysboys

[/QUOTE]
    He did take a desperate chance and was caught and i am saying he should get a suitable punishment but people screaming for the full 10 years is hysterical,i personally think 3 years is more than enough considering the sentances handed out to murderers and rapists.I hope his wife feels good when she watches the inevitable tv shots of him being led in handcuffs in to the prison van while explaining to her childern what she has achieved and will she pay back the ill gotten money that she knew she was receiving.[/Quote]

I agree and bet most us in the same situation would do what ever it would take to provide for our family well I know I would.
    And for the media coverage what a loud of crap. It was like a bitch off between ex wife and new lover I even saw in one paper the his 26 year old lover was warring a coat from the something range in dunnes, do people really care what fashion is going on in our courts?
    Ya give him 3 yrs for leaving the wife
    And 3 yrs for having a 26 yr old lover
    And feck it 4 for taking the money
    And the gf should be bared from dunnes

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Don't think it was ever rezoned!

It was, but the government stepped in and repelled it.

And for the media coverage what a loud of crap. It was like a bitch off between ex wife and new lover I even saw in one paper the his 26 year old lover was warring a coat from the something range in dunnes, do people really care what fashion is going on in our courts?
    [/QUOTE]

In fairness the girlfriend upped her game when she saw how much of an effort the ex wife was making and definitely started to look hotter as the trial wore on - I bet the wife was a looker in her day too. I don't know how many times I read that his "young lover" was a younger version of his wife. Normally when you trade in something to move to a newer version, you would have to put a few bob with it but this guy managed to trade to a younger model and got a few bob into his hand as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

hardybuck wrote: »

Sentences which are available to the judge are there for a reason - they are seen as a fair punishment for the crime committed.

Everyone who was found by the recent tribunals to have committed fraud and accepted corrupt payments should also be tried in similar fashion - but at this stage they probably won't.

The best outsome is that there will be a line drawn in the sand from this point onwards, abuse your position of power and face the consequences.

That's the point I was making, people commit the same crime, some don't get prosecuted at all, some get put away for years, that shouldn't be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

Show the investors what we do to bent scum. Give him 10 years and get some confidence back in the system.

People like this have 1000s unemployed to line there own pockets. Absolutely hang the bastard. Imagine the smile on his face when he was handed 60k in cash. Plenty of people with same smile on there faces in this country after taking an envelope. Bent scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭deisemum

Sentencing has been defered to late June due to a death.

deisemum wrote: »
    Sentencing has been defered to late June due to a death.

Oh well - If Freddie is going to the slammer, at least he will have a tan!

I have NO time for anyone that rats on people. He took a bribe and he DID NOT rob anyone....jesus. This country is so F***** up. I'd take it.. would you not?

No time for a "rat" eh but you will defend someone who broke the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Did I hear right on the news just now, sentence of 6 years with 2 suspended handed down to Forsey? Judge said something about the sentence being a 'deterrent' to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If anyone ever sees me on PI saying I have an opportunity to cheat on the wife link to this thread.

Jesus, I didn't think in a million years he'd serve time. Let alone fairly serious time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Didnt read the whole article, he got 6 years with last 2 suspended, great, i hope he serves those 4 and has any public payment entitlements stripped also. (I know, i know, 'stripped' while talking about prisons, no pun intended)

Now hopefully, they can lock up a few more, Lowry, P Flynn, Ahearne, Sean Fitzpatrick, Mick Wallace, Quinn and his sons, Clallely, O'Donoghue, etc etc and gain some sort of credibility in our legal/political system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Good. Its about time public figures who practise corruption were made to pay. Its actions like those that have the country the way its in.

This shows that the justice system does work, but only IF/WHEN the cases are taken by the Gardai/DPP. Instead we have other law-breakers in public life against whom no action is taken, inexplicably.

(q.v. Mick Wallace. Admits to breaking the law but no prosecution looking likely yet).

In a way I feel a little sorry for Forsey though, he must be wondering why he's in jail and not countless other public figures who had their hand in the cookie jar.

A.

Advertisement