Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheque from CWO lodge/cash query..

Options
  • 29-03-2011 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all,
    new to this forum so excuse my ignorance. I had to apply to CWO today for emergency Supplementary welfare payment to cover a wait until my new allowance kicks in in 3 weeks (my JSB credits just ran out). now it was approved, thank goodness..the CWO said that a cheque will be sent to my address (phew)- my question is this- is it a cheque that i will have to wait 5 days to clear in bank or will the bank allow me to cash it as it is a benefit cheque and not a personal cheque? just obviously to wait 5 days to clear will mean no money til end of next week...

thanks
    aft

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Most banks will not cash a cheque for you nowadays. You will have to lodge it to an account in that bank and then withdraw. The possible exception is PTSB, but look what happened to them today:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ahfeckted

thanks Kristopherus....gosh yes- another one bites the dust..:eek:

might have to put my dog to work ..."here girl put this brush and duster on- we are going to hijack cars at traffic light with cleaning products and inconveniently dirty water on the windscreen- she can valet while the driver is trying to get rid of me"
    :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

You could try your local Post Office. No guarantees but if you have a Social Services Card and ID they may cash the cheque for you.

thanks cee-jay- its worth a try! they are used to me in there now paying bills etc.. so never know.

bright side is that whilst i may have to wait i am at least getting some payment, so "phew" and thank "insert appropriate deity here" for that.

ta folks! appreciate the time you have taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭naughto

if you are lodging it in to a bank of ireland bank it will go straight in to you account so u should be able to get in out of the atm shortly after as far as i know

• Advertisement

*fingers crossed*

hope so naughto. thank u

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

ahfeckted wrote: »
    my question is this- is it a cheque that i will have to wait 5 days to clear in bank or will the bank allow me to cash it as it is a benefit cheque and not a personal cheque?
    I'm not saying this from experience, but I think any post office will cash one of those social welfare cheques.

Check back here later when people with more knowledge on the subject may have seen the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

If it is a cheque from boi and its from your swo postoffice will do pay cheque
    Dont forget your social services card otherwise they wont pay

hey civis and cross..

thanks cheque in post i hope will arrive tomorrow.. will keep u guys posted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Granger13

ahfeckted wrote: »
    Hi all,
    new to this forum so excuse my ignorance. I had to apply to CWO today for emergency Supplementary welfare payment to cover a wait until my new allowance kicks in in 3 weeks (my JSB credits just ran out). now it was approved, thank goodness..the CWO said that a cheque will be sent to my address (phew)- my question is this- is it a cheque that i will have to wait 5 days to clear in bank or will the bank allow me to cash it as it is a benefit cheque and not a personal cheque? just obviously to wait 5 days to clear will mean no money til end of next week...

thanks
    aft

Unfortunatley, these cheques in most banks take 5 working days, and per tsb is one of the banks which take the 5 days if you are a member of that one, as the other post say, Post office change them if you pay a bill, also and i know up till last year they done this, the Credit Union will except these cheques, so if you want to say log only €10 of the cheque into your account, they will give the rest back to you in cash. But as i said, this was last year the last time i know of them doing this.

• Advertisement

thanks granger- still waiting on cheque but will let u all know what worked.

hi folks- the post office along with my pps card cashed the cheque- so for future reference- let it be noted @_

thanks folks

• Registered Users Posts: 16 laurencmc

It depends on the branch you go to. I get the social welfare cheques and get them cleared straight away but only at some branches. They should all do though if you sign your name and address on the back of the cheque. I'm with tsb so I can't really tell you about the other banks though.

Advertisement