Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Piano or Stage Piano - Advice needed

Options
  • 31-07-2014 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all,
    sorry if this has been asked before but really confused.

I want to buy a Digital Piano for my 9 year old who's starting off. I have no musical knowledge and have been googling to try and figure out what to get. A mate of mine said to get a stage piano (Thomann own brand).
    What's the difference between a Digital Piano and a Stage Piano - which would be better for beginner ?
    I've read about 64 polyphonics and weighted keys but are there any other must-haves for a piano at this level ?

Also, any recommendations for Irish on-line music shops ?

Any advice would be really appreciated,

regards,
    derm58.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

Stage pianos are geared towards gigging/live performance. Nothing stopping you using one at home though.

If the idea is to learn the piano, a DP would be more useful, as they're designed as substitutes for acoustic pianos. Not only will they generally have better speakers (many stage pianos have no onboard amplification - they're designed for PAs etc), the stand and pedals are integrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 derm58

Thanks for the reply rurs.

I guess to start off with the DP sounds like the best option. He's 9, mightn't stick with it and if further down the line he wants to perform with local youth orchestra, they might provide a stage piano.

thanks again for the reply.

derm58.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

A DP will also have a headphone socket
    A feature you may come to love over time

• Registered Users Posts: 20 derm58

Headphones ? I'm sure I won't need them - don't the little cherubs all sound like Chopin after a few months ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Catriona54

Won't be playing Chopin but for your comfort get the headphones. Teach piano and the beginning can be equally as painful for parents as when you child gets good.... Best of luck with it

• Advertisement
Advertisement