Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not entitled / Massive delay

• 01-04-2011 8:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I was laid off before Christmas. I moved in my bf of a few months in November into a rented house. When I was laid off I went to the dole to apply for jobseekers benefit. They asked me for my bfs payslips. He didn't want to give them but they said that if he didnt provide them my claim couldn't be processed, so he provided them under protest. I was then rejected for welfare based on his income. He doesn't give me any money to live on, for the last 3 months I have lived off money from my parents (I've borrowed just over 4k including my rent money). My parents can no longer afford to support me like this. It took 6 weeks to get that rejections and then I have put in appeal and haven't heard anything. I've been applying for jobs like crazy but haven't got a single interview. The bills are all in my name and my bf won't pay his half until I can prove I have the money for my half cuz he doesn't want to be paying for me.

Does anyone know what I can do? I have absolutely no money, I can't afford to pay these bills. I can't afford a deposit on another place. I literally don't have money for food. I went to the community welfare officer and they are means tested too so they can't help me.

Any advice appreciated, I've sold everything I have that's worth anything - I don't know what more I can do.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

OP - looks like a bit of a pickle all right, but can I ask?

Is your boyfriend paying his share of the rent? And why, knowing you're not working and having trouble with the Social is he insisting you have the money to pay 'your' share of the bills, as he 'doesn't want to pay for you'?

Seems to me he's not being the loving supportive partner you need and deserve at a time like this. Frankly, he sounds like a freeloader.

I would tell him to leave, then re-start your claim with the Social TBH. I don't see any other way, unless you can get a job PDQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Hi,

I was laid off before Christmas. I moved in my bf of a few months in November into a rented house. When I was laid off I went to the dole to apply for jobseekers benefit. They asked me for my bfs payslips. He didn't want to give them but they said that if he didnt provide them my claim couldn't be processed, so he provided them under protest. I was then rejected for welfare based on his income. He doesn't give me any money to live on, for the last 3 months I have lived off money from my parents (I've borrowed just over 4k including my rent money). My parents can no longer afford to support me like this. It took 6 weeks to get that rejections and then I have put in appeal and haven't heard anything. I've been applying for jobs like crazy but haven't got a single interview. The bills are all in my name and my bf won't pay his half until I can prove I have the money for my half cuz he doesn't want to be paying for me.

Does anyone know what I can do? I have absolutely no money, I can't afford to pay these bills. I can't afford a deposit on another place. I literally don't have money for food. I went to the community welfare officer and they are means tested too so they can't help me.

Any advice appreciated, I've sold everything I have that's worth anything - I don't know what more I can do.

Thanks

Ok number one it was not jobseekers benefit you applied for as you would have been entitled to payment whether or not you were living with someone. It must have been Jobseekers Allowance which is means tested and as you are co-habiting your partners earnings would be taken into account. I wont comment on your relationship. My best advice to you is to move home (oops commenting on your relationship now... drop partner seeing as he is not willing to support you in the bad times) and re-apply for Jobseekers Allowance.

OP - I've just read my post to you, and it sounded a bit harsh which I truly didn't mean for it to come out that way.

But my original advice still stands. You need to tell your partner to leave the home and re-start your claim.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

OP - I've just read my post to you, and it sounded a bit harsh which I truly didn't mean for it to come out that way.

But my original advice still stands. You need to tell your partner to leave the home and re-start your claim.

Good luck!
    i think it was his home to begin with, so she needs to do the moving. anyway hes not her boyfriend, hes not even her friend.this kind of thing bothers me. its practically an abusive situation...... this is not the forum for this, though, just to add she will not get any JSA while living with this creature.

Hi,

I was laid off before Christmas. I moved in my bf of a few months in November into a rented house.
    The bills are all in my name and my bf won't pay his half until I can prove I have the money for my half cuz he doesn't want to be paying for me.

These are the bits that stood out to me mrsbyrne. I thought from reading this that the OP moved the boyfriend into HER home. The bills are in HER name, which is why I suggested HE move!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

These are the bits that stood out to me mrsbyrne. I thought from reading this that the OP moved the boyfriend into HER home. The bills are in HER name, which is why I suggested HE move!:)
    your absolutely right! i stand corrected! she still needs to put a couple of oceans between himself and herself.freeloading leech:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey!

Thanks for all your help, that's pretty much what everyone has told me. Looks like I'll be looking for a new house (it's a rented house and we moved in at the same time, so I guess it'll be me moving out - the bf does pay his own part of the rent and the bills are in my name because we just organised it that way). Only thing is, if I move out I'll have to pay ALL the bills (they're around €800 and theres more on the way) as i don't think he'll be forwarding me on any money if I leave.

I did apply for Jobseekers benefit, I don't understand why I'm being means assessed then - I should have all the stamps paid up? Can anyone give me any guidance on this?

The whole things just been really stressful - I've never been out of work this long in my life and I think I'm starting to panic.

Thanks again for your help - I'll let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

To qualify for Jobseekers Benefit you need to have 104 contributions paid overall since starting work. You also need 39 contributions in 2009 - either paid or credited - so can be from work or claiming social welfare (13 must be paid). If you do not have 39 in 2009, you can also qualify by having 26 paid in 2009 and 26 paid in 2008.
    If you are confused why you do not qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit you will have to ask at your local office what you do have.

OP - I don't understand.

I realise the bills are in your name, but why can't your BF pay half? He lives there after all...

I think you need to sort this out and fast. Have a talk with him, show him the bills and tell him he's liable for half. It's only fair. Why should YOU have to shoulder the bills yourself?

Then, like I say get his arse out of there on the double!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Hi OP, I would go to your local Tax office and ask for a statement of PRSI contributions paid since the start of your employment. This is invaluable to you.

Once you have this you can appeal the decision not to award you JSB, if you have enough contributions. I applied somewhere online for a statement but it will take too long.

See if you have the contributions as posted above.

If you are very close, appeal anyway you never know.

If you are way off, check each date or each job and make sure they are correct. Also make sure you got a credit for time spent in full time education.

Don't let the social welfare office close your claim for JSB.

If they do you will not get a backdated payment if it is found you are entitled to JSB after all. If you claim is closed start a new claim with the PRSI statement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement