Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You're probably up to no good!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

What about when the HSE sent out a mailshot... with everybody's national insurance number on the envelope :eek:

Or all those health records that were found in a dump in Cork.

http://www.wired.com/politics/onlinerights/news/2009/03/sunshine

For example, when California's Proposition 8 passed last November banning gay marriage, an opponent of the measure created a website to expose donors who financed the ban. The site culled donor names, ZIP codes and, in some cases, employer names, from data the state collects under campaign finance disclosure laws. Then it combined that data with Google Maps to show donors' approximate locations, and in some cases identify their employers. Gay marriage opponents were appalled and complained that they received harassment and death threats

At the root of these anti-disclosure rulings is a 1989 Supreme Court case that pitted the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press against the Justice Department. The RCFP sought the rap sheet for a businessman suspected of mob ties and an improper relationship with a congressman. Much of the information was already accessible in bits and pieces in various public records, but the reporters wanted the data as it was compiled in the FBI's NCIC database. The Supreme Court unanimously held that adding computers to the mix made the privacy risks greater.

"Plainly there is a vast difference between the public records that might be found after a diligent search of courthouse files, county archives and local police stations throughout the country and a computerized summary located in a single clearinghouse of information," wrote Justice John Paul Stevens for the court.

As a result, Davis says, it's inordinately hard to get access to public records that might prove government wrongdoing when privacy exemptions protect a private citizen mentioned in the file. That is, unless there's already proof of the wrongdoing before the records are sought.

"Then you might be able to overcome the privacy protection," Davis says. "If you have proof of the conspiracy, then we'll give you access to the records that might prove your conspiracy."
    That would be a good argument not to have everybodies details stored on random computers and files all over the country, but rather have them in a centralised location where access can be monitored and controlled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Heineken Helen

humanji wrote: »
    That would be a good argument not to have everybodies details stored on random computers and files all over the country, but rather have them in a centralised location where access can be monitored and controlled.

but it will be accessed from random computers all over the country :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I'd hardly say random.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

As 6th says, it's not random. And it's controlled. the admins would know who is accessing what information and what they are doing with it. It'd be a hell of a lot safer than the current systems companies are using where they seem the best thing to do is leave all the info on park benches and trains. :D

As 6th says, it's not random. And it's controlled. the admins would know who is accessing what information and what they are doing with it. It'd be a hell of a lot safer than the current systems companies are using where they seem the best thing to do is leave all the info on park benches and trains. :D

:D good point... anyway we're derailing a bit... I'm still not up to no good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It's not the ONLY possible option... doesn't mean it's not A possible option. The less info they have on a person the less they can abuse this data.

Stop posting on the Conspiracy forum on Boards.ie. They'll track you down and log it.

Flippant? Yes.

However Boards have said if the Guards request info of them in relation to illegal activity they will pass on the info.

Very relevant to this thread.
    Boards.ie can track your activity and what you post and if requested, pass it on to the Guards.

1,000's still post.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Stop posting on the Conspiracy forum on Boards.ie. They'll track you down and log it.

Flippant? Yes.

However Boards have said if the Guards request info of them in relation to illegal activity they will pass on the info.

Very relevant to this thread.
    Boards.ie can track your activity and what you post and if requested, pass it on to the Guards.

1,000's still post.

I know all that... and thanks for the heads up... but I haven't said anything wrong have I?:o

I haven't done anything illegal!!!!!!!!!!!!! Which brings us back to the topic... why stop posting here when I'm doing nothing wrong and just discussing my opinions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I haven't done anything illegal!!!!!!!!!!!!! Which brings us back to the topic... why stop posting here when I'm doing nothing wrong and just discussing my opinions?

Exactly. You haven't done anything illegal so you've nothing to worry about.

Does the same not apply to CCTV etc.?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I know all that... and thanks for the heads up... but I haven't said anything wrong have I?:o

How many people on boards.ie do we know have been tracked down and hassled for what they've said? Well as far I can say it's a total of zero. Sure people have been stopped for saying certain things as boards.ie could be held liable for it.

How many people in the UK have been wrongly convicted using these new technologies? Is there any proof at all?

Many of these new technologies would stop someone being wrongly convicted not the other way around.

• Advertisement

meglome wrote: »
    How many people on boards.ie do we know have been tracked down and hassled for what they've said? Well as far I can say it's a total of zero. Sure people have been stopped for saying certain things as boards.ie could be held liable for it.

How many people in the UK have been wrongly convicted using these new technologies? Is there any proof at all?

Many of these new technologies would stop someone being wrongly convicted not the other way around.

ahhh, I can see the defense:

'so as you can see your honour, I couldn't possibly have committed the crime as I was throwing a sheep at my sister and then went on to make a few lists of the 5 best everything and then proceeded to kill 5 zombies and slay 3 vampires, when the crime was allegedly committed'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭jackiebrown

Not for the first time your statement is contradictory.

Not for the first time your statement is contradictory.

Oh... maybe you can explain why?

There's a certain music promoter that's current taking court action against boards.ie because of what other people said, people like us. So if people were allowed to say whatever they like all the time then there could easily be other court actions and a number of people have threatened to do this. So boards.ie walk a fine line between letting people say what they want and getting sued. All that aside people still make an awful lot of serious claims in here and as far as we know not one of them has had the slightest problem afterwards. Do you know otherwise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Toiletroll

robtri wrote: »
    I was going to say the same your analogy is misleading and purposely walking people downt he apth you want them...

currently cctv, google camera's, police survelience camera's, toll camera's, anpr camera's, ect.. all operate in the public domain,
    none of these items are looking in your window watching what you are doing..

Here would be my example..you notice some stock going mising, somebody is shoplifiting from you...

Say Heineken helen, you own your retail shop selling clothes.... over the course of a few months
    So you decide to put up CCTV to monitor your shop, should customers be able to insist that you take the camera's down because you are recording them???? if a customer did ask this, I know I would be very suspicious of them being up to no good...

You go into a shop knowing there are cameras there. Big difference .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭briktop

Where exactly does it say that all government employees have access to it? Also, Royal Mail is a PLC and not a government agency.

the royal mail , like an post , has machines ( which I have seen in action )
    that can wind a letter out of a sealed envelope and replace it after copying , and youd never knew it happend.

would a PLC need to do this ?

briktop wrote: »
    the royal mail , like an post , has machines ( which I have seen in action )
    that can wind a letter out of a sealed envelope and replace it after copying , and youd never knew it happend.

would a PLC need to do this ?

I suppose there's some proof?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭BertrandMeyer

As the databases expand, the problem will only get worse. Much of the methods thought to exist are described as horrifically violent. The Gardaí have been up to their elbows for quite a while in trying to exploit the information.

Forget about who's been making unauthorised searches on you -- they still make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Toiletroll wrote: »
    You go into a shop knowing there are cameras there. Big difference .

and you go onto the internet knowing it is monitored, you go out in puiblic knowing their is CCTV around, you drive your car accross toll bridges knowing that their are anpr camera's.....

I am not seeing your point???

I suppose there's some proof?

does " machines that i have seen in action " not do it for you ?

briktop wrote: »
    does " machines that i have seen in action " not do it for you ?

As much as I love to believe anything some random stranger on the internet tells me I'd like more than just your word for it.

all i can say is i have seen them in action, all postal processors have mail intercept sections , for lawful ( and sometimes unlawful ) mail intercept.

the machine in question is just one tool used in this area.

it uses a thin rigid wire with slots in it to slide in the slightly open gap at the top of an envelope , or force a small gap - roll up the letter , pull it out and roll and place it back when finished.

letter is then pressed flat , and no ones the wiser.

• Advertisement
Advertisement