Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time for a GPU upgrade.... EDIT: Possibly got a 980 for £300!

• 25-09-2014 6:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭

Been thinking about doing this for some time but I'm going to do this in the next month or so.
    Currently running a GTX 660 OC atm and want to get something quite beefy that'll do me for some time. Been looking at the GTX 970 since the 980 is just way too expensive for my budget.
    Seems to be around the £300 mark or so.

My current build is
    8GB-Kit G-Skill RipJaws PC3-12800U CL9
    be quiet! SYSTEM POWER 7 700W
    FRACTAL DESIGN Define R4
    Intel Core i5-4670K Box,
    MSI Z87-G45 Gaming, ATX, Sockel 1150
    Samsung SSD 840 EVO Basic 120GB SATA 6Gb/s

Cardreader, DVD drive and a couple of extra HDs.

So is this solid buy? Mostly been an Nvidia user in recent times but am open to having an ATI card. Anything comparable or better for the same money out there.
    Any suggestions?

Should my build be OK connection/cable/power-wise?

How much do you recon I'd get for my KFA2 GTX 660 OC?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I just saw that Amazon have and out of stock GTX 980 for £300. Went and ordered it in the hope that they honour it when it finally does come back in stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If you get a 980 for £300 you've gotten the bargain of the year.

Yeah. Looks like it's probably be a misprice but you never know...Amazon have been known to honour misprices before and have also never shied away from cancelling other misprices.
    Tis the MSI GTX 980.
    Finger crossed.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Have you got a link or has the price changed already? I don't see it.

It's this one. Saw it on HUKD first. It was out of stock at first, allowing you to order/preorder it. After about an hour of it selling they stopped it as they probably got tipped off from the increased numbers etc. Hoping they honour it.

• Advertisement

And..... It got cancelled. Oh well. Is the 970 the best bang for your buck at the moment given my budget of around 200-300 quid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Yep but it will cost a little more. I'd grab the gigabyte g1 gaming.

Decided to go for the MSI GTX 970 gaming. Cost me £280. Yikes!!!

Just a quick q about connectors. The card requires both an 8 pin and a 6 pin connector. MY PSU should have these shouldn't it?
    www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/331

Turns out it comes with a connector that will allow me to connect it to the current cables.

Here's a review of the MSI one against and EVGA and ASUS model. MSI gets the thumbs up, mostly due to the overclocking capability.

Advertisement