Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cracks in external plaster

• 25-09-2014 11:19am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    I have a job to do but I am stuck looking for options,
    It's a new house, built with the insulated walls,ie the insulation on inside and out,with the centre piece filled with concrete,

and on the external the plasterer, instead of using the spray on plaster or the acrylic, used rib lath and sand and cement

Needless to say the whole exterior is cracked all over due to the expanding metal expanding and contracting

My question is, is their any other options to fixing this, other than taking off the plaster and expanding metal, has anyone come across any material that will cover up the whole wall making it look like new and covering all visible cracks thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 trevdahead

I'm presuming you mean insulated concrete form(Icf)

I believe you would be better off hacking the whole lot off if possible,but could be tricky especially if the metal is fixed through the insulation.
    To try and coat over could still leave you with the original problem.

A polymer modified base coat with fibreglass mesh cloth bedded in should have been used,with either an acrylic or polymer modified powder render to finish.

the house is only new,can you contact the builder or the plasterers.
    This is a shocking case of bad and inexperienced tradespeople.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

trevdahead wrote: »
    I'm presuming you mean insulated concrete form(Icf)

I believe you would be better off hacking the whole lot off if possible,but could be tricky especially if the metal is fixed through the insulation.
    To try and coat over could still leave you with the original problem.

A polymer modified base coat with fibreglass mesh cloth bedded in should have been used,with either an acrylic or polymer modified powder render to finish.

the house is only new,can you contact the builder or the plasterers.
    This is a shocking case of bad and inexperienced tradespeople.

Ya its the I c f system

It was a self build and the plasterer was only doing as he was told, the house owner doesn't allocate any blame to the plasterer and was the one giving instructions to him, they both should have known better in fairness, but I have the job of trying to repair it, I think along with you, that the only job would be to go back to the insulation and start afresh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 trevdahead

whupdedo wrote: »
    Ya its the I c f system

It was a self build and the plasterer was only doing as he was told, the house owner doesn't allocate any blame to the plasterer and was the one giving instructions to him, they both should have known better in fairness, but I have the job of trying to repair it, I think along with you, that the only job would be to go back to the insulation and start afresh

Yes I think it would be best,but as I said just be careful as more than likely the hi-rib has been secured through the insulation into the concrete and taking it off could damage the insulation,creating more problems

Try and find a plasterer who is experienced with EWI

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

I think the owner will probably just settle for the way it is,as doing the whole house would be financially prohibitive

Advertisement