Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home Server/NAS build

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Intel ES/QS is great. Ive got 40PICE lanes and up to a TB of RAM if I want to populate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Coyler wrote: »
    I'm planning out my 3 GPU build. Not going to happen that soon but soon enough I'd hope. So, I want 3 separate desktops for the kids as well as various containers running plex and other items. The kids are at LEGO game and Minecraft level so 4 cores for them would be loads but perhaps budget for higher. If I want hardware transcoding for plex, I'm really looking at another GPU like the 1050 so that's 4 full PCI-E slots. Take for granted I've considered all the usuals like usb controllers, and cache drives.

So, is Threadripper my only real option here if I don't want to spend eye watering money? And do I hold out for the next gen? Discuss.

Bear in mind that consumer GPUs have a limited imposed by NVIDIA of 2 transcodes at once. If you want full hardware transcoding, a Quadro P2000 is your minimum, which is €4-500. It is more power efficient than the equivalent CPU though.

3 GPU passthrough will be a doable, but it means you'll need 4 GPUs in your system. (5, if you do end up going for a P2000). If we say you want a minimum of x8 for the gaming GPUs, then that limits your board choices a little.

Something like this could work: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Pro-WS-X570-ACE/
    It's X570, so you could throw a 3900X in there (and for reference, that's a +50% improvement over my server's 1950X, in single and multi-threaded perf. It's got your 3 x8 PCIE slots, and an x1 for the unRAID GPU, and IPMI which is a god-send for remote management.

If you want to look at older stuff, 1st/2nd gen TR is massively discounted (and probably will be more so in the next month or two with TR3), or a ED says you can look at older Xeon stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Coyler

ED E wrote: »
    Intel ES/QS is great. Ive got 40PICE lanes and up to a TB of RAM if I want to populate it.

Have you got some examples I can gander?

Serephucus wrote: »
    Bear in mind that consumer GPUs have a limited imposed by NVIDIA of 2 transcodes at once. If you want full hardware transcoding, a Quadro P2000 is your minimum, which is €4-500. It is more power efficient than the equivalent CPU though.

3 GPU passthrough will be a doable, but it means you'll need 4 GPUs in your system. (5, if you do end up going for a P2000). If we say you want a minimum of x8 for the gaming GPUs, then that limits your board choices a little.

Something like this could work: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Pro-WS-X570-ACE/
    It's X570, so you could throw a 3900X in there (and for reference, that's a +50% improvement over my server's 1950X, in single and multi-threaded perf. It's got your 3 x8 PCIE slots, and an x1 for the unRAID GPU, and IPMI which is a god-send for remote management.

If you want to look at older stuff, 1st/2nd gen TR is massively discounted (and probably will be more so in the next month or two with TR3), or a ED says you can look at older Xeon stuff.

Surely my best bet is X399 or whatever (X599?) the boards will be for TR3?

Are you suggesting a P2000 for the unlimited streams alone? I’m aware of the limitations of the consumer cards but not sure I’ll ever need more than 2 for the foreseeable. Even at that, I can hack that limit. But sell it to me.

IPMI is a nice to have but this is a box sitting out on the floor with three monitors attached to it. One more cable and a quick source change on one of the monitors gives me the same. I love new toys but couldn’t justify it if it was an extra cost.

Coyler wrote: »
    Surely my best bet is X399 or whatever (X599?) the boards will be for TR3?

Are you suggesting a P2000 for the unlimited streams alone? I’m aware of the limitations of the consumer cards but not sure I’ll ever need more than 2 for the foreseeable. Even at that, I can hack that limit. But sell it to me.

IPMI is a nice to have but this is a box sitting out on the floor with three monitors attached to it. One more cable and a quick source change on one of the monitors gives me the same. I love new toys but couldn’t justify it if it was an extra cost.

X399 should support TR3, yeah. It's up to you though; there should be more than enough CPU power in a 3900X to fulfil your needs, so if you can get by with the PCIE limitations, then you're good.

P2000 is for unlimited, yeah. If you're only doing a couple then a few cores from your CPU will be loads.

Fair enough on IPMI. It sounds like X570, X399 or Xeons would all work for you. Depends on where it's going to be and WAF then as well I guess.

As a point of comparison, my 1950X gets almost the same MC Passmark score, but quite a bit higher in single-thread. The 3700X would be your newest option, and get very similar performance to both, but with even faster single-thread perf. and much lower power consumption (but costs a good bit more, about €350).

So, we could extrapolate that TR3 would be similar performance, but power consumption would be a bit higher, as the IO die, interconnect, and chipset will pull more.

Depends what you're looking for with this, in terms of the single/multi/efficiency balance.

Your 1950 is a single processor. Im suggesting buying TWO. No PCIE chokepoint :pac:

RE PCIE, I was talking X570. Obviously C610 won't have any issues. :P

• Advertisement

What this boils down to is if I’m doing software transcoding are a few cores from a 3900X going to be as efficient as a GTX 1050. Or at least efficient enough to rule out a X399/599 board and a another GPU.

Thinking about it, most of my media doesn’t require much transcoding. And if swap the my 360 for a One that should reduce the need even more. I’m losing streaming services anyway through basic functionality so I’d kill a few birds with that move.

I just don’t want to go the X570 route and need a PCIE slot in the future but I may never need it. Of course if I do I could just sell the part I have and upgrade. Decisions, decisions.

Make all of your clients HEVC compatible. If you dont need to stream over the internet then you wont need any transcoding, could run plex on an rPi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

12 to 8 seems like such a downgrade. Or 9 if you wanna call it that.
    The X570 chipset is actually capable of supporting up to 12 SATA ports. Would make for a great home server - M.2 hanging off the CPU for the OS, and 12 SATA drives with no need for an add in card.

I don't know if we'll ever see a board that implements all 12 though, most of the board manufacturers are going down the route of multiple M.2s instead.

We've somewhat confused this thread with Coyler's request.

X570 doesn apply to what we were originally discussing, NAS style boxes, as its way up the TDP tier. Xeon D/EPYC 35xx is the name of the game.

Might be time for a fork.

We've somewhat confused this thread with Coyler's request.

X570 doesn apply to what we were originally discussing, NAS style boxes, as its way up the TDP tier. Xeon D/EPYC 35xx is the name of the game.

Might be time for a fork.

Yeah, I’ll fork this to discuss multi-GPU boxen and how best to do it. I’ve since found some interesting options.

Massive quote post ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement