Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop prices : More Money Less Spec?

• 15-07-2014 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

Long story short im looking to buy a laptop for my sister, nothing over the top simple office and social media device. She seen mine and said yeah ill have one like that, mine basic enough tbh i just use it for everyday stuff.

HP Pavilion
    i5 processor
    6Gb Ram
    1TB
    Intel graphics
    15inch screen

Now i bought that not last christmas but the christmas before for 470 in currys but when i look around at the minute im struggling to match that spec and stay sub 500, am i looking in the wrong places or has the price for spec taken a nose dive?

Thanks in advance any help would be great

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

projectgtr wrote: »
    Long story short im looking to buy a laptop for my sister, nothing over the top simple office and social media device.
    If that's all it will be used for then an i3 and 4GB of RAM should be plenty. You may also find that a current generation i3 is better than your 2 year old i5.

Amazon have 240 laptops below €500 with 4+GB of RAM a 500+GB HDD and with a 13" - 16" screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Try Argos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Kavrocks wrote: »
    If that's all it will be used for then an i3 and 4GB of RAM should be plenty. You may also find that a current generation i3 is better than your 2 year old i5.

Amazon have 240 laptops below €500 with 4+GB of RAM a 500+GB HDD and with a 13" - 16" screen.

Cheers for the reply, i definitely get the spec will be enough for her, i was more so trying to understand why lower spec is running at a higher price.

I get your point about the processors but when i compare my i5-3210m against the i3 3217U im seeing in current laptops or even the i5-3337u im seeing in a couple Asus the i5 in mine still seems to come out on top in head to heads. But thats only one factor the machines im looking at also have less ram and less storage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

projectgtr wrote: »
    Cheers for the reply, i definitely get the spec will be enough for her, i was more so trying to understand why lower spec is running at a higher price.

I get your point about the processors but when i compare my i5-3210m against the i3 3217U im seeing in current laptops or even the i5-3337u im seeing in a couple Asus the i5 in mine still seems to come out on top in head to heads. But thats only one factor the machines im looking at also have less ram and less storage

I have a hp similar spec to yours, daughter has a new i3 , no comparison hers is like a snail compared to mine performance wise

have been looking on line and at harvey nornam & agree about the price , any decent spec machine seems very expensive just now

Advertisement