Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heat Recovery Ventilation

• 15-06-2014 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

We are building a new home in the south east. Has anyone installed a heat recovery ventilation system and, if so, please advise on how it is working for you, pros and cons etc. Thanks

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Best thing I put in. Clean, dry air, no draughts, house keeps the heat and costs feck all to run. Clothes dry indoors very quickly too on rainy days.

Cons are yet to be seen. Cost of filters maybe. Buy a couple of spare packs from your supplier before they finish up.

Worth noting the HRV is only as good as your house's air-tightness allows it to be. Don't bother with a HRV unless you're going to design and build the house to suit it. We also got the same crowd who installed the HRV to install a centralised vaccuum cleaner for feck all more (500 quid odd) as a bundle.

The central vac is the second best thing I put in my house and earned it's place the first week we moved in and hoovered up a ton of dust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Yes , pretty much as ShiverinEskimo says. Installed properly, you do not notice it. Home fresh and dry, nasty smells removed quickly and easy to use. Airtight home essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Katherine1

Thanks for the replies....If anyone could recommend a supplier I would really appreciate a pm. How does it work if windows / doors are open a lot?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,860 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Katherine1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies....If anyone could recommend a supplier I would really appreciate a pm. How does it work if windows / doors are open a lot?

id suggest you do a lot of in-depth research into MHRV systems.

They require an understanding which can be at odds with out "irish" upbringings ie that houses are draughty, that windows have to be left open during the day to 'air the house out' etc

you do not have a need to "open windows a lot" with a HRV system.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Top Corner

unless your building your house to passive hauss standards a heat recovery system is pointless as the are only 75 to 85 % efficient in a passive build. if its a regular build your talking 50% efficient at best. there s plenty of new passive hauss certified builders and tradesmen in ireland currently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

Top Corner wrote: »
    unless your building your house to passive hauss standards a heat recovery system is pointless as the are only 75 to 85 % efficient in a passive build. if its a regular build your talking 50% efficient at best. there s plenty of new passive hauss certified builders and tradesmen in ireland currently

My understanding is they work well in anything under 3 m3? Ie less air tight than passive but more than the regs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭893bet

Pretty much impossible to meet current regs with one I am being lead to understand (still looking for a supplier and installer so PMs welcome.)

893bet wrote: »
    Pretty much impossible to meet current regs with one I am being lead to understand (still looking for a supplier and installer so PMs welcome.)

Without

Its possible but difficult

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

We also got the same crowd who installed the HRV to install a centralised vaccuum cleaner for feck all more (500 quid odd) as a bundle.

That seems like amazing value! Can you please PM me the name of your supplier please? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

unless your building your house to passive hauss standards a heat recovery system is pointless as the are only 75 to 85 % efficient in a passive build. if its a regular build your talking 50% efficient at best.

Not true. MHVR effectiveness will depend on the air tightness, whether its a PH or not is irrelevant. If installed in a building with poor air tightness the MHVR becomes pointless as infiltration load inceases.

Very happy user of MHVR system, but still a battle (after 4 years) with Mrs B to keep windows shut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭893bet

Borzoi wrote: »

Very happy user of MHVR system, but still a battle (after 4 years) with Mrs B to keep windows shut.

This is my big fear aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

It really depends why the windows are opened. Sure with the windows closed the HRV system works as it was designed to and at the it best efficiency as the air flow in the home is through the system.

However, in the late spring, summer and early autumn we have the windows open now and again. Not only are kids in and out, but we need to let heat out of the house (we have a lot of solar gain), so rarely do we need to heat recovery element. We do not have a summer by-pass. During the colder months and night the windows are closed and the system works a treat. At night regardless of the weather we have the windows closed to eliminate traffic noise.

Now if you are having the windows open during that day to cool the house and the heat on in the evening that is another matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

So you can't switch the system off in summer?

What is the annual running cost btw?

kennyb3 wrote: »

no

a 'summer by pass' means the extracted air doesnt have its heat recovered in warm summer days. in this way the system can act like an air conditioning system by inputting cooler fresh air (although not chemically cooled)

the system can be turned off at any time, ive yet to see one which cant.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jiminho

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can zonal heating/cooling be accomplished with a MHRV system? Say I wanted the bedrooms to be cooler than the living room - how can that be accomplished? Solar gain differences...
    2) In the summer time I would have the big double doors open at the weekend because kids and dogs would be running in an out. Could I have circuit that switches the ventilation off within that room when the doors are open? Is MHRV an all on or all off system - could I have bedroom vents shut, living room vents open at the same time?

For the above to work i would probably need to have airtight rooms and self closing doors :)

How much kwh does the MHRV use in your home?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

kennyb3 wrote: »

jiminho wrote: »
    Couple of quick questions:

2) In the summer time I would have the big double doors open at the weekend because kids and dogs would be running in an out. Could I have circuit that switches the ventilation off within that room when the doors are open? Is MHRV an all on or all off system - could I have bedroom vents shut, living room vents open at the same time?

For the above to work i would probably need to have airtight rooms and self closing doors :)

How much kwh does the MHRV use in your home?

Thanks

We switch our mvhr off and use our windows during the summer as during this time of the year ventilation isn't required (in the sense of removal of moisture). Other people do not switch their system off / open their windows but use the summer bypass instead (from a security point of view. Thankfully, this isn't an issue for us.)

Electricity running costs are negligible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Top Corner

Borzoi wrote: »
    Not true. MHVR effectiveness will depend on the air tightness, whether its a PH or not is irrelevant. If installed in a building with poor air tightness the MHVR becomes pointless as infiltration load inceases.

So you have disagreed and agreed with me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Possibly ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Darbre18

We always have windows and doors opened during summer months,it just gets to hot with all the solar gain.
    At first I was manually switching our mvhr system off in the moring then on in the nights to use summer by pass to keep rooms cool.
    Last month I set it up to come on when the alarm is armed by using a output on the alarm panel,so during summer months it comes on while setting the alarm going to bed and if we are out during the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭DeeJunFan

Possibly the disagreement is with the terms used.

The unit efficiency will always be what it is depending on the fan speed etc. Not really dependant being in a passive or non house.

The air-tightness of the house will dictate the units effectiveness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Belle2014

has anyone got a VIking ductless /fliterless HRV system installed?

Advertisement