Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭batistuta9

dfbemt wrote: »
    Would generally disagree with that as the high transfer fee players are generally the highest wage earners

at clubs like city, chelsea, anzhi etc. yes & probably in general your right

but you said arsenal are fifth yet their record transfer fee is ~£15mil for arshavin or nasri. liverpool just ahead of arsenal broke their record transfer fee twice that season with suarez & carroll, before it was torres for ~£20mil. Not massive amounts of money if you don't consider the carroll fee yet their them clubs are the 4/5 highest wages in the league.

but your original point "does spending the money on the big names guarantee anything?"
    It does, but what it guarantees is not certain & i don't mean just a once off big name/big money signing. chelsea & city even man united, barca, real, inter spent and won trophies, malaga spent and got CL qualification, anzhi got EL qualification, PSG got CL qualification.

the reason their big money/big names is because their good players and the better your players are the more chance you have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭cson

Diddy Kong wrote: »
    With Jussi Jaaskelainen leaving Bolton, wouldnt mind him as backup for a year, knows the league, and can step in when needed.

Jaaskeleinen is exactly the #2 we should be after.

You'd get him for half what we paid Lolmunia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭cson

I will point out again you are wrong - we couldnt loan him out under FIFA rules because players are not allowed to represent three teams in one season and we havent paid 20 million for him, we paid 13 million rising to 18

I'd like to think that even you could agree that paying £13m to leave a player more or less in the reserves for the season is absolute madness.

I don't dislike your club per se Sgt Pepper, but I absolutely abhorr whats going on there and has gone on there for the past 8 years or so. And I hope you'd understand why I hope it all comes crashing down around you at some stage in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

cson wrote: »
    I'd like to think that even you could agree that paying £13m to leave a player more or less in the reserves for the season is absolute madness.

I don't dislike your club per se Sgt Pepper, but I absolutely abhorr whats going on there and has gone on there for the past 8 years or so. And I hope you'd understand why I hope it all comes crashing down around you at some stage in the near future.

I and many others do agree with you about many things we see wrong at Chelsea.
    The buying of players (and paying high prices) only to ship them out on loan - never to return, is one of them.
    The absense of a manager - especially one who has just won the one trophy that Roman wants is staggering.
    The way they lied to us about the SB shares as well
    But at the end of the day we really have no control over these as you do at your club, so you can only support them cant you?

I dont think it will come crashing down on us, as that was a question put to them very early and it has been allowed for. At the moment, Roman is a rare beast in that he is fully commited to Chelsea and continues to pump money into them.

At the moment Chelsea on the up, but then I was a ticket holde rin the dark days - saw them relegated, electric fenses etc etc so I'm enjoying the ride whilst it lasts. But things do go in cycles so watch this space!

Vermaelen has said he will never leave Arsenal in an interview.what a boost for us fans.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,198 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Vermaelen has said he will never leave Arsenal in an interview.what a boost for us fans.:)

He needs to recover his form though. Only had a very average year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

batistuta9 wrote: »

but your original point "does spending the money on the big names guarantee anything?"
    It does, but what it guarantees is not certain & i don't mean just a once off big name/big money signing.

I think a guarantee is always certain by its definition.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,391 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

38m for Hulk is insanity. I've only really seen him play in the CL but he's never struck me as world class, not familiar with his domestic form though.

I think a guarantee is always certain by its definition.

well if he originally said "guarantee anything?" well what is anything? O wise one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Mickeroo wrote: »
    38m for Hulk is insanity. I've only really seen him play in the CL but he's never struck me as world class, not familiar with his domestic form though.

His domestic form is... pretty awesome to be fair. 96 apps - 52goals and 42 assists.

BUT its the portuguese league, playing for a team that never lose and score for fun against fairly crap opposition.

He seems like he has the right attributes to do well in the PL. But €38mill is just madness.

I remember seeing him in the Europa League final in Dublin and thinking he was an overrated, lazy, greedy diving bollix :pac:

• Advertisement

it's a bargain considering his buy-out clause is >£80mil :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

maximoose wrote: »
    I remember seeing him in the Europa League final in Dublin and thinking he was an overrated, lazy, greedy diving bollix :pac:

That was my impression from that game. I have seen him play great in other matches though. Perhaps he will be the new Baptista?

Hopefully they will find oil at the old Highbury site and we can splash the cash too.

Only by his own standards, he is still way better than Djourou, Silvestre, Cygan, Senderos.....quality players only lose form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

maximoose wrote: »

Should be a perfect replacement for Drogba so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

He was very lucky to have Kos alongside him. Hopefully they'll be as good as each other next season

dfbemt wrote: »
    Should be a perfect replacement for Drogba so

Whether you love or hate Drog as a person, there is no doubting the man is a phenomenal player. Hulk looks dangerous but I haven't seen him enough to know if he is as good. He doesn't look as Athletic or mobile.

While i feel sorry for M'Vila, it would greatly keep his valuation down if he was to miss the Euros. Is this Marvin Martin the same sort of player?

Whether you love or hate Drog as a person, there is no doubting the man is a phenomenal player. Hulk looks dangerous but I haven't seen him enough to know if he is as good. He doesn't look as Athletic or mobile.

While i feel sorry for M'Vila, it would greatly keep his valuation down if he was to miss the Euros. Is this Marvin Martin the same sort of player?

The injury to M'Vila is not so serious. Touch and go whether he'd be ready for the England game but he's going to the Euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Marvin Martin is an AM.

G.K. wrote: »
    Marvin Martin is an AM.

I thought as much. Hopefully AW has a few deals tied up in advance of the Euros. though it will probably be for 15 primary school kids. Perhaps the Half Irish/half Cameroon young lad with relatives from Mayo is on his way from Real Madrid on the donkey and trap :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭djan

Hulk is a Phenomenal player and only hasnt been snapped up because of his massive buy out clause, he is as strong as drogba and much more mobile, with a rocket left foot. Pity Arsenal cant afford such sort of quality :(

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    The injury to M'Vila is not so serious[/B]. Touch and go whether he'd be ready for the England game but he's going to the Euros.

Good for him but we might find competition could get a lot stiffer after the Euros unless France implode like 2010 even though good old Raymond is not around this time to oversee an implosion. :)

djan wrote: »
    Hulk is a Phenomenal player and only hasnt been snapped up because of his massive buy out clause, he is as strong as drogba and much more mobile, with a rocket left foot. Pity Arsenal cant afford such sort of quality :(

To be fair i havent seen an awful lot of him to make a proper judgement but if he is better or even as good as Drogba then i think he must be a serious player. I rate Drog highly as a footballer but not so much as a human being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Pogrebnyak has been released by Fulham. 6 goals in 12 games. Wouldnt be a bad back up if his wages were low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Notice how Koscielny played the full 0 minutes for France against Serbia and they keep a clean sheet. He didn't feature against Iceland and they shipped two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Celtic have offically parted company with Darren O'Dea.

I hope nobody gets any ideas !!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Galvasean wrote: »
    Notice how Koscielny played the full 0 minutes for France against Serbia and they keep a clean sheet. He didn't feature against Iceland and they shipped two.

The two probably aren't connected tbh. I'd never use a players international form as an indicator of what his form will be like in the coming season (in friendlies anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

dorgasm wrote: »
    The two probably aren't connected tbh. I'd never use a players international form as an indicator of what his form will be like in the coming season (in friendlies anyway).

Friendly form I always feel they are red herrings. If he delivers at the finals though it can only be a confidence booster for the man going into the new season.

Himself and RvP coming out of the finals without injury would be top of my wish list for this championship.

he really impressed against Serbia though and he could well displace the usual centre back pairing of Mexes and Rami. Over the 2 games he was the best centre-back. Not surprising as he is the best of the 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,198 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

G.K. wrote: »
    Marvin Martin is an AM.

Never heard of him before.
    With a name like that I thought he might be a rock-star or a gunslinger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Never heard of him before.
    With a name like that I thought he might be a rock-star or a gunslinger.

He's very well known in Football Manager.

Thats the problem, when people recommend players - have they actually watched them properly or just a youtube highlights clip, or just played FM?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement