Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

James McClean

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

MD1990 wrote: »
    James Mc Clean @JMcC_23 absolutely buzzin and honoured to be called up to represent my country... best feeling there is #ROI

twitter is good for something afterall - my cup genuinely runeth over for the young lad :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Makes no difference he's probably 4th choice left winger in the squad anyway, shouldn't be the case but he is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Trap is a lazy manager who wont even attend a Premiership game.
    That is just a blatant lie. Himself and Tardelli have watched several Premier League games, I believe they have watched McClean at least twice in person since the start of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

That is just a blatant lie. Himself and Tardelli have watched several Premier League games, I believe they have watched McClean at least twice in person since the start of the year.

True.

Him and Tardelli were at Chelsea V Sunderland and Tardelli was at Middlesbrough V Sunderland (where ironically McClean had his worst game for us by far). That's more than Capello did when he was England manager and Darren Bent was flying.

The thing that will appeal most to Trap about McClean is that he constantly works back. He's a fantastic winger to have in the sense that he can beat a man, but he's also a good defender. That's a luxury these days, usually you get someone who can beat a man or a bit of a clogger, rarely do you get both which is what McClean provides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

This is all great and everything but barring injury McClean is not going to Poland/Ukraine, so there is no doubt that the Trap-bashers who are celebrating McClean's call up now will be out in force again come late May

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

cgpg5 wrote: »
    This is all great and everything but barring injury McClean is not going to Poland/Ukraine, so there is no doubt that the Trap-bashers who are celebrating McClean's call up now will be out in force again come late May

At least the lad will have spent some time with the squad, and that Trap will have a better look at him.

His only hope is injury, not many doubt that, but I'm happy Trap looks willing to prepare for that introducing a form player to the mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭briany

Looking at his twitter, he's not shying away from giving it back to his detractors giving him stick over his choice to play for Ireland. Fair enough that he has give some back but I wouldn't want to be getting too entrenched in a dialogue either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

briany wrote: »
    Looking at his twitter, he's not shying away from giving it back to his detractors giving him stick over his choice to play for Ireland. Fair enough that he has give some back but I wouldn't want to be getting too entrenched in a dialogue either.

Dont blame him when people are calling him a rebel **** and hoping he breaks his leg tbh

bizmark wrote: »
    Dont blame him when people are calling him a rebel **** and hoping he breaks his leg tbh

Yeah but he doesn't want to get into a pointless hate match with the shower either. Best not to feed the trolls and maintain his dignity. Also, he doesn't need to entertain such thoughts with an important opportunity like this coming up.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Yeah but he doesn't want to get into a pointless hate match with the shower either. Best not to feed the trolls and maintain his dignity. Also, he doesn't need to entertain such thoughts with an important opportunity like this coming up.:)

Thats true enough just i can see how it would be hard for a young fella to just ignore it when hes clearly quite proud and happy but your right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,484 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Hope he has a great game and shows Trap why he should be going to the Euros congrats to him anyways

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Good to see him get the call up. Haven't really been able to see him too much this season but looks top notch in the games I have seen him in. Hopefully he'll actually get a run out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Delighted he has been called up. There has been a lot of speculation that he would not be called up until World Cup qualification but he is playing so well for Sunderland at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Someone should tell the lad to ignore the ****s. It shouldn't even be questioned if a player from the island of Ireland decides to play for the ROI team. There's a few characters in the North who need to get that into their heads, that Murray fella who works for the BBC among them. The existence of the NI soccer team is what should be under question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Hope he does well, as for unionists moaning about him switching, well, you reap what you sow.

Someone should tell the lad to ignore the ****s. It shouldn't even be questioned if a player from the island of Ireland decides to play for the ROI team. There's a few characters in the North who need to get that into their heads, that Murray fella who works for the BBC among them. The existence of the NI soccer team is what should be under question.

Yeah, it's a bit of a catch 22 for the IFA in that I think they do have a right to feel hard done by, monetarily, if they put money into training a player from a young lad up to his teens at least only for him to declare for Ireland but what can they really do? Ask young children to pick their international allegiance on their first day of training with their under 10s team? Ask the parents to choose for them? Pull facilities and money away from predominantly nationalist/catholic areas? Strike a deal with the FAI? Ultimately any deal with the FAI would have to hinge on the fact that players from Northern Ireland are entitled to declare for ROI if they so wish as that right is given to them through Irish citizenship and it's not worth it to reopen old wounds and stir up a still contentious socio-political issue over something as ultimately trivial as football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Yeah, it's a bit of a catch 22 for the IFA in that I think they do have a right to feel hard done by, monetarily, if they put money into training a player from a young lad up to his teens at least only for him to declare for Ireland but what can they really do? Ask young children to pick their international allegiance on their first day of training with their under 10s team? Ask the parents to choose for them? Pull facilities and money away from predominantly nationalist/catholic areas? Strike a deal with the FAI? Ultimately any deal with the FAI would have to hinge on the fact that players from Northern Ireland are entitled to declare for ROI if they so wish as that right is given to them through Irish citizenship and it's not worth it to reopen old wounds and stir up a still contentious socio-political issue over something as ultimately trivial as football.

As a peace offering,when Paul Green came knocking on the FAI's door with his Irish passport,he should have been told that Windsor Park is that way >>>>>>>>>>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ddogsbollix

every northern ireland player has the choice of playing for the republic and thats the way it should stay! Mc Clean is a fantastic player and it is in his right to play for the republic!! its such a shame that some people from the north will have a new opinion of him being a traitor. lets hope he has a great career!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

I am happy he is in but he prob wont get on the pitch in the friendly, trap has done similar with Coleman and Mccarthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭Old Gill

Shows the bigotry of large sections of the northenr support. Personally I think "Norn Iron" is a makey up country and no different to the likes of half of Leinster trying to field an international team. But thats only my opinion and I recognose that northern protestants believe the 6 counties is a "nation" and so no problem if they want a national football team. Live and let live I say. However its quite obvious the same feelings dont come the other way with the NI support demanding northern players play for a team they have no allegiance to, a "country" they dont recognise and a national anthem they abhore. Just live and let live and stop people trying to force their views onto others.

BTW I would also speculate that the "money invested" in under age players is minimal and most likely covered in grants from uefa anyway so to use this as an excuse is petty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Old Gill wrote: »
    Shows the bigotry of large sections of the northenr support. Personally I think "Norn Iron" is a makey up country and no different to the likes of half of Leinster trying to field an international team. But thats only my opinion and I recognose that northern protestants believe the 6 counties is a "nation" and so no problem if they want a national football team. Live and let live I say. However its quite obvious the same feelings dont come the other way with the NI support demanding northern players play for a team they have no allegiance to, a "country" they dont recognise and a national anthem they abhore. Just live and let live and stop people trying to force their views onto others.

BTW I would also speculate that the "money invested" in under age players is minimal and most likely covered in grants from uefa anyway so to use this as an excuse is petty

Well as I said before he went to school in the North so had to play school boy football in the North which is run by the IFA.

Its a bit like Ryan Giggs he went to School in England hence why he played for the England school boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

McClean should just focus in on his playing on the field.
    I haven't seen his twitter account...but if he is repeatedly replying to people who are giving him stick for leaving the Northernn Ireland set-up it shows a bit of immaturity on his part.

Old Gill wrote: »

I am certainly no bigot just because I support Northern Ireland. And I would say a large percentage of our support is not bigoted.
    But there are bigots in Northern Ireland...some of which who support Norn Iron and others who support the Republic.
    As for Northern Ireland is a "makey up country"...you are hilarious! :D...and definitely seem to have a few issues with Irish history.
    Hopefully the Northern Ireland football team does not resort to being composed of only protestants players and protestants fans. Sports should bring different people and communities together...not separate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,392 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

If you read your history you will see that a team run by the IFA has just a much ligitmiacy as one run by the FAI.

Where there every to be a single Irish team (hopefully not) then Belfast would have a better claim to being it's headquarters than Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Paul4As wrote: »
    I am certainly no bigot just because I support Northern Ireland. And I would say a large percentage of our support is not bigoted.
    But there are bigots in Northern Ireland...some of which who support Norn Iron and others who support the Republic.
    As for Northern Ireland is a "makey up country"...you are hilarious! :D...and definitely seem to have a few issues with Irish history.
    Hopefully the Northern Ireland football team does not resort to being composed of only protestants players and protestants fans. Sports should bring different people and communities together...not separate.

For a start Northern Ireland need to get a national anthem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

How much did the IFA directly spend on James McLean's development out of curiousity?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

For a start Northern Ireland need to get a national anthem.

OWC needs to be black listed from all IFA sanctioned events for starters. One look at their website shows where thier loyalties lie.

Look to be honest I hope the IFA and OWC and every other Northern Irish football entity stay entrenched in their beliefs. They operate for the betterment of Irish soccer. It is only a matter of time before they players are moving to play for Ireland irrespective of their religious background. The IFA and all it's associations will be the vestigal tail of Irish football within twenty years.

OWC needs to be black listed from all IFA sanctioned events for starters. One look at their website shows where thier loyalties lie.

Look to be honest I hope the IFA and OWC and every other Northern Irish football entity stay entrenched in their beliefs. They operate for the betterment of Irish soccer. It is only a matter of time before they players are moving to play for Ireland irrespective of their religious background. The IFA and all it's associations will be the vestigal tail of Irish football within twenty years.

The OurWeeCountry website has the Red Hand of Ulster centre to their homepage. That is the flag flown at Northern Ireland games. There is nothing wrong with that! What do you want a tri-colour? :)
    As I have said before...players play for their country not to look for success...it is to represent the country they were born or their family have roots. That fact will never change.
    Club football is about playing for a team that wins all the time or who pays you the more money.
    The IFA will still be present and functioning perfectly well in 20 years time. We may still have a pretty poor team...but we will still be there...probably still talked about with venom by people like you. :D
    Concentrate on your own international team and your own organisation which interferes with our kids...and stop abusing the GAWA! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

As a peace offering,when Paul Green came knocking on the FAI's door with his Irish passport,he should have been told that Windsor Park is that way >>>>>>>>>>>>

Paul Green is not from Northern Ireland. Anyway he's one of the worst players to ever pull on an Irish jersey so the North can have him if they want.

Where there every to be a single Irish team (hopefully not) then Belfast would have a better claim to being it's headquarters than Dublin.

And why would that be now? Methinks you are just trolling with that statement.

• Advertisement

Paul4As wrote: »
    The OurWeeCountry website has the Red Hand of Ulster centre to their homepage. That is the flag flown at Northern Ireland games. There is nothing wrong with that! What do you want a tri-colour? :)
    As I have said before...players play for their country not to look for success...it is to represent the country they were born or their family have roots. That fact will never change.
    Club football is about playing for a team that wins all the time or who pays you the more money.
    The IFA will still be present and functioning perfectly well in 20 years time. We may still have a pretty poor team...but we will still be there...probably still talked about with venom by people like you. :D
    Concentrate on your own international team and your own organisation which interferes with our kids...and stop abusing the GAWA! :p

I think it's better to have the Red Hand than a Union Jack but it's a perfectly valid for football fans there to wave that flag if they feel that represents them as it would be for others to wave the ROI flag. However, I believe neither should be flown in an official capacity because they would both serve to undermine the attempts to fashion a cross community team and ideally could be left out of occasions where both sets of fans come together.

I don't know what's in McClean's heart, and I don't think anyone but those close to him could. If it's a cynical thing, that he just wants to go with the team that's doing better then I don't agree with it. No international team really wants those kinds of players even if they need them but if it's out of a true sense of affiliation then he has every right to declare for Ireland and I will always view it as a perfectly valid thing to do so. Trying to keep people apart is often what drives them together and so it is for the IFA in that rather than trying to block players from switching, rather than trying to deny them that, they should be showing or attempting to show players at every level in their system and from all communities why it is better to go with NI in the first place and providing every impetus they can to make that so.

Advertisement