Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

any thoughts on this extension roof

• 01-10-2014 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this extension roof
    There appears to be some sagging

I had the house surveyed by an engineer and he didn't raise it in his report .. nor did he raise the finishing around the corner window (which was originally a double door)

I suspect the roof is probably OK .. its likely more an aesthetic rather than structural.

I'm just worried that it this should be included in the structural survey what else might be missing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this extension roof
    There appears to be some sagging

I had the house surveyed by an engineer and he didn't raise it in his report .. nor did he raise the finishing around the corner window (which was originally a double door)

I suspect the roof is probably OK .. its likely more an aesthetic rather than structural.

I'm just worried that it this should be included in the structural survey what else might be missing.

What roof?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭little_monty

sorry ..just working out how to add the picture

This may help:https://imageshack.com/i/exT8QYyGj

I'll leave the explanations to you Monty

Thanks for posting the photo for me Curly ..

I'm just wondering if is a potential issue around the velux window area of the extension roof..
    and secondly at the ground level at the nearest window.

I suspect myself the roof is structurally ok .. but just not the most tidy job.

I'm wondering if the Surveying Engineer would be expected to make some reference to this in their report

Thanks for posting the photo for me Curly ..

I'm just wondering if is a potential issue around the velux window area of the extension roof..
    and secondly at the ground level at the nearest window.

I suspect myself the roof is structurally ok .. but just not the most tidy job.

I'm wondering if the Surveying Engineer would be expected to make some reference to this in their report

It looks to me that the house is well built and the shed was erected by a saturday morning gunterer.
    The roof looks rather shabby and will undoubtedly give trouble in the future.
    The pitch is low and the pressure on the wall plate must be considerable, especially if the rafters are too far apart, fitted without proper collar ties or poorly constructed at the ridge board.
    All this may be gobbly gook to you but at the end of the day I find it appalling that your surveyor or structural engineer seems to have missed it.
    I would be looking for a substantial cut in his fee, commensurate with the cost of putting the roof right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Was it the same chap, who built up where the double door used to be
    Did he not have a white window,, the wall should be level with the outside, and the cill proud of the reveal, ( like the other windows ).

Thanks for the comments ..

I have not bought the house yet just sale agreed.

I suspected myself the roof may need repair when bidding on it.. so I was somewhat surprised neither it nor the window base were highlighted in the survey.

The survey was done by a 'reputable' Chartered Surveyor.

I have queried them on this again and asked them to look at my photos but haven't received a reply yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭dathi

hopefully he said something about the position of the oil tank against the wall of the house;)

No Daithi..that wasn't mentioned either .(.by the way the small house beside the back door holds the boiler!)

I had a call with the company to raise these questions (and some more minor issues last week) Only during call did I realise I was talking to different engineer to one who did survey.
    I sent photos and they promised to ring back to discuss issues I raised ...but after calling each of the last 3 days they still haven't got back to me..and I'm frustrated.

If I proceed with the purchase anyways will I comeback against survey company..will it just need independent engineer to confirm problems?

Or what if company want to update report (should i encourage this?)to include problems they missed first time around...what does that say about confidence I can have about broader report

Thanks for all the replies!

No Daithi..that wasn't mentioned either .(.by the way the small house beside the back door holds the boiler!)

I had a call with the company to raise these questions (and some more minor issues last week) Only during call did I realise I was talking to different engineer to one who did survey.
    I sent photos and they promised to ring back to discuss issues I raised ...but after calling each of the last 3 days they still haven't got back to me..and I'm frustrated.

If I proceed with the purchase anyways will I comeback against survey company..will it just need independent engineer to confirm problems?

Or what if company want to update report (should i encourage this?)to include problems they missed first time around...what does that say about confidence I can have about broader report

Thanks for all the replies!

If you know a good builder or a good builders foreman in the area I would advise you to get him to have quick peep.
    A lot of the work is sub standard but the house could be basically sound and worth the money. And at the end of the day it is about value for money as much as anything.
    If you had a list of all the obvious and less obvious flaws you could , depending on the market in your area, use them to get the price reduced.
    If the price reduction equals or exceeds the cost of putting them as they should be, then you are on to a winner.
    I'd also, accidentally but on purpose so to speak, fall into casual conversation with some of the neighbors.
    Surprising what neighbors know sometimes.
    If there is a pub nearby pop in for a pint and chat up either the owner or some of the locals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭no1murray

A roof wouldnt sag at the ridge. If the wallplate spread in the middle it would dip at the ridge, but what I would say the problem is poor workmanship in this case.

Advertisement