Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rig built 2 years ago

• 30-09-2014 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

I built this rig in Sept 2012.
    • 8GB Kit Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
    • ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Socket 1155, ATX
    • Corsair Carbide Series 400R ATX
    • EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2048MB DDR5
    • Intel Core i5-3570K (Overclocked to 4.2 GHz)
    • Samsung SH-222BB (DVD RW)
    • Samsung SSD 128GB SATA 6GB's
    • Super Flower Amazon 650W 80Plus
    • Thermalright HR-02 Macho
    • WD Caviar Green 1TB SATA 6Gb / s

I've been playing @1080p averaging between 80-100 FPS on most games. Is there anything in there that would require an upgrade to keep this rig fresh and up to date???

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Add another 8GB of RAM if you really have to upgrade but other than that if its all good for you as it stands then don't bother investing in anything just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

If you're getting 80-100 fps on most games I'd be weighing up the importance of those games and how old they are before spending money upgrading what appears to be an already good system.

You might consider getting a new hdd or ssd if you find your drives almost full. I've got a 2tb hdd and a 120gb ssd and my 2tb is just over half full at the moment. Albeit because of my area of study and numerous game I have on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

80-100fps with a 670? You must be playing some old games or using low graphics settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭TheTacticsGuy

BloodBath wrote: »
    80-100fps with a 670? You must be playing some old games or using low graphics settings.

Usually playing from medium to high.

BF4 on high 80 - 120 FPS
    War Thunder on high 150 - 220 FPS
    Arma 3 on high is just about 60 FPS
    Metro Last Light was between 70 - 90 FPS

I don't play anything on low settings.

Other games I play are:

Payday 2
    DayZ Standalone
    Warframe
    Borderlands 2
    Just bought Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The only thing I would upgrade is the card. No way you're getting 80-100fps on modern titles at high settings at 1080p!

Get a GTX970, it's the only thing I'd change to that machine everything else is fine.

Bigger SSD if you really wanted to spend.

• Advertisement

The only thing I would upgrade is the card. No way you're getting 80-100fps on modern titles at high settings at 1080p!

Get a GTX970, it's the only thing I'd change to that machine everything else is fine.

Bigger SSD if you really wanted to spend.

I have some settings turned down like motion blur, AA down 4x or 2x depending, but generally get pretty good FPS on most titles and by good I mean well over 60 FPS

Looked at the 970 and it gets some pretty good reviews. has anyone bought one recently and where?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

I wouldn't bother upgrading just yet if I was you. Prices of new cards may drop after x mass. And you are in no real rush.

But if you really insist guess the 970 be the way to go.

I wouldn't bother upgrading just yet if I was you. Prices of new cards may drop after x mass. And you are in no real rush.

But if you really insist guess the 970 be the way to go.

Would you expect much of a drop for the 970???

970's aren't going to drop in price anytime soon. They are already very well priced.

Your fps is way off, I have a 7970 overclocked which outperforms the 670 by a fair bit and I don't get those frame rates in those games.

Are you sure your monitor is 1080p?

• Advertisement

Ok captured these just to point out that I'm not off with my fps. Images attached

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

War thunder is a very light game comparatively, not a good one to use as a benchmark.

Either way my fps is not off.

I was talking more about metro, arma 3 and bf4 which are pigs to run well on full settings.

Go for the 970 if you want to run them maxed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I'd hold off upgrading for a while, if push came to shove the GPU could be upgraded but if you're getting 60+ FPS at max settings now then there's little to be gained by spending 300+ on a new GPU.

Unless you were thinking of moving to 1440p that is, in that case a 970 would do very nicely IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

I have almost the same rig as the OP, only differences are I have 16gb RAM, 256GB SSD & a gigabyte 670 instead of EVGA.
    Not much time for games right now, so I may be looking to get a 970 in December. Anyone know how much you could flog a 2 year old 670 for at this stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

How important is eye candy to you OP? Personally I don't give a **** how pretty stuff is before I blow it up. I built my rig 4 years ago and its the same since then, still running any games I want to play on high settings without issue. I've a 1GB HD5870 GPU. Performs more than well enough for me still.

Advertisement