Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I whitewash directly onto stone?

Options
  • 10-09-2014 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hello ,

I renovated a stone wall cottage and have sorted out most of the usual issues of insulation etc. I am left with a pebble dash on the outside but I can live with that, except on one wall. This side of the cottage was built into a bank of earth. They basically stripped off the topsoil, dug out the floor level and then just built on the subsoil. The result is the wall at that side of the house started two feet above floor level.

We have now excavated outside to below the floor and built up the stone from the floor up inside and the ground up outside. That's fine, but now I'm left with a wall that was part dashed and part bare stone. I have stripped off the dash to the base coat which I think is lime based. Can I just whitewash this wall or do I have to render over the stone first? Will the white wash act as a weather barrier? It's a very sheltered wall since we built the extension.

I have no knowledge of whitewashing so any advice would be welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

a lime render before lime-washing would be best

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭banjolin

Sorry about not replying. Got completely sidetracked on googling larch for cladding and forgot I posted this. Was hoping to avoid the dark arts of lime render, but fortune favours the brave.

Advertisement