Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big steel bumper, insurance modification?

• 25-09-2014 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

I am currently finishing a trip around Africa in a 1995 Landcruiser, I'm about to enter Morocco and am trying to get insurance to cover me as I drive there and back to Ireland through Europe.

The car has the following mods:

1) big steel front bumper with high lift jack points (removable) and winch
    2) intercooler
    3) 2" suspension lift and 33" tyres (bigger than stock)
    4) Rear dual wheel carrier bumper

Along with this the car is a UK reg, is not taxed and has no MOT as it has been out of Europe for a few years.

Which of these things must be declared to an insurance company? I've heard that you only need to declare perfomance mods which would mean only the intercooler?

Any advice appreciated

《This may be more suited to the Upgrades and Audio forum?? I guess the moderators will move it if required?》

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

If they class an intercooler as an perfomance mod I dont know what to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Stoned Hippy

If they class an intercooler as an perfomance mod I dont know what to say.

It increased power by 10% when tested on a dyno, but even regardless of the actual results I figured the insurance companies would just use any excuse to either raise your quote (if you told them before) or not pay out (if you kept quiet)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,513 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You might run in to problems getting insurance outside Europe at all with Irish providers, they normally only cover you for driving around Europe. Have a look at this website, some lads driving from Dublin to Sydney...

http://www.dublintosydney.com/

I'm only looking for insurance for Spain, France and Ireland - Morocco is often covered under the European green card system also which would be a bonus but not absolutely required for me. Nearly all companies seem to offer at least a month of cover in the EU included in their basic insurance deal.

So far the mods are the least of my problems with 9 companies refusing me either for the age of the car or it being a 4.2l engine combined with me being under 30 (I'm 27). Pointing out that my 3ton landcruiser couldn't out drag a 1l Polo did nothing to change their minds.

Looks like a nice trip to Sydney, not surprised that the Australian insurance companies looked a lot more accommodating than the irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Having no test might be your problem, apart from being outside of Ireland when arranging insurance. Afaik it invalidates your policy .. as for the mods, I wouldn't be too concerned. Have you tried the likes of Carroll Nash, they do older vehicles too.

Ps I'd love to see pics of your 80!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

As said above, without a DOE test its hard to have 'valid' insurance from any Irish provider as the definition of a roadworthy vehicle is often whether it has a test or not. Might be no harm to run it through a test, and sure if your preparing it for Morocco it's surely pretty decent anyway.

Would not worry about (or mention) the upgrades you have made, through personal experience I have found it just creates problems, and when its all over it doesn't even make any difference anyway. (and I'm sure someone will contradict me by bringing up 'utmost good faith' and all that, but it's up to you what you say in the end)

Also, insurance companies in Ireland are legally obliged to inform revenue if they are insuring a vehicle which is not Irish registered (from 1987 onwards), so I would be careful there, if you are not planning on VRT'ing it and getting it on an Irish reg, it could end up a biggish bill you weren't expecting

You could try and ask for commercial insurance, that way being a 4.2 wouldn't make a difference (I have an Amazon commercial myself insured for less than €500). I know your machine may not be registered commercial, but you can try, the worst they can say is no.

Thank you all for the replies.

To cut a long story short it seems as if I just can't get insurance from an irish company, and not because of the modifications either.

Most said no because of the age of the vehicle or my lack of irish no claims bonus (I live abroad and only have one years ncb in Ireland as a result) and one said no because it's a 4.2l engine and I'm under 30. I didn't ask for commercial insurance because I didn't know about it at the time.

All the companies who asked about mods I was honest with and none seemed to raise it as an issue. One nice guy on the phone pointedly asked "your intercooler is to help with the hot weather and is NOT put on explicitly for performance reasons... right... RIGHT?!"

To cut a long story short I also have south Sudanese plates for the car and it seems that if I switch to these I can get month by month green card insurance no problem apart from the relatively high cost of 180euro a month - only for non European cars. Madness.

P.s. Some photos added, bad ones but the only ones I have on hand.

Advertisement