Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Medical System

• 30-09-2014 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi, I'm looking for party or people who wants to support the following idea:

Opening of government owned polyclinics in every county of Ireland
    where people could receive same day service from doctor in any specialty for
    symbolic charge (or free)
    Get Junior Doctors to work in polyclinics on reasonable salary and keep consultants only for difficult cases ( to be referred to by Junior Doctors)
    Increase number of students on medical departments

This would allow:
    Get medical service when needed not waiting months in the queue
    Keep hospital emergency departments for emergencies only

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

newparty wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking for party or people who wants to support the following idea:

Opening of government owned polyclinics in every county of Ireland
    where people could receive same day service from doctor in any specialty for
    symbolic charge (or free)
    Get Junior Doctors to work in polyclinics on reasonable salary and keep consultants only for difficult cases ( to be referred to by Junior Doctors)
    Increase number of students on medical departments

This would allow:
    Get medical service when needed not waiting months in the queue
    Keep hospital emergency departments for emergencies only

you lost me at "every county of Ireland". Another one of the "hospital for everyone in the audience" ideas.

If you were suggesting a system of polyclinics being set up in areas where there was a sufficiently large population centre (large town) to support one, I might listen. That could well mean none in some counties depending on the required population size.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 newparty

This is exactly what you said: "hospital for everyone in the audience" idea.
    And this is not an idea. This is how medical system works in other countries. I know what I'm talking about. I just describe you how it works in Belarus (country where I'm originally from).
    You make a phone call to your local polyclinic at 8 a.m. in the morning and say:
    "I need appointment to dermatology doctor. "
    Answer: "We have 2 , 3 and 4.30 p.m. left. Which one would you like ?"
    You: "Give me please for 4.30 . My name is Mister X."

Then at 4.15 you arrive to polyclinic and wait for may 15 -30 mins to see the doctor. Done.
    Can you suggest anything better?

Yes. This is considerable investment to make polyclinics working. But this is worthwhile investment. Government is suggesting some strange ideas about universal health insurance which would benefit insurance companies and private hospitals and not general population.
    Government owned polyclinic is direct investment to Healthcare sector.
    If you are comfortable to feed "fat cats from medicine" (consultants ) charging you 140- 200 Euro per visit or wait 1.5 years on public waiting list than I'm not.
    Ireland should change its healthcare to be quick and accessible and not serve super rich only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

newparty wrote: »
    This is exactly what you said: "hospital for everyone in the audience" idea.
    And this is not an idea. This is how medical system works in other countries. I know what I'm talking about. I just describe you how it works in Belarus (country where I'm originally from).
    You make a phone call to your local polyclinic at 8 a.m. in the morning and say:
    "I need appointment to dermatology doctor. "
    Answer: "We have 2 , 3 and 4.30 p.m. left. Which one would you like ?"
    You: "Give me please for 4.30 . My name is Mister X."

Then at 4.15 you arrive to polyclinic and wait for may 15 -30 mins to see the doctor. Done.
    Can you suggest anything better?

Yes. This is considerable investment to make polyclinics working. But this is worthwhile investment. Government is suggesting some strange ideas about universal health insurance which would benefit insurance companies and private hospitals and not general population.
    Government owned polyclinic is direct investment to Healthcare sector.
    If you are comfortable to feed "fat cats from medicine" (consultants ) charging you 140- 200 Euro per visit or wait 1.5 years on public waiting list than I'm not.
    Ireland should change its healthcare to be quick and accessible and not serve super rich only.

you missed my point.

You haven't explained what population size is required to support a polyclinic.

Without knowing that, the sustainability and appropriateness of your idea is questionable

Advertisement