Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Debtors Ledger help

• 07-11-2014 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi everyone,

I'm doing my Accounting Case Study for college, and I'm onto the Debtors Ledgers.

In the debtors T-Account; Sales Returns and Payments from the debtor to the business would go on the Credit side right?

What about Discounts Allowed? I'm absolutely useless at accounting, so I have no idea which side Discounts Allowed goes onto, and if it even goes into that account at all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Smartguy

Credit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 rabbit123

For Debtor's ledger learn this simple rule.

Everything that will increase debtor's balance (debtors owe you more than they did in the past) will be debited. For example credit sales

Everything that will decrease debtor's balance (debtors owe you less than they did in the past) will be credited. For example payments by debtors, discount allowed, sales returns, bad debts etc.

Hope this makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Cian__

rabbit123 wrote: »
    For Debtor's ledger learn this simple rule.

Everything that will increase debtor's balance (debtors owe you more than they did in the past) will be debited. For example credit sales

Everything that will decrease debtor's balance (debtors owe you less than they did in the past) will be credited. For example payments by debtors, discount allowed, sales returns, bad debts etc.

Hope this makes sense.

Aah thankyou! That makes sense.

I'm completely struggling with accounting (thankfully I only have to do it for another 2 weeks) but that rule will definitely help me out!

I'm guessing it's just the complete opposite with creditor accounts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 rabbit123

Cian__ wrote: »
    Aah thankyou! That makes sense.

I'm completely struggling with accounting (thankfully I only have to do it for another 2 weeks) but that rule will definitely help me out!

I'm guessing it's just the complete opposite with creditor accounts?

Yes. and examples will change accordingly as well.

Advertisement