Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navan Cinema

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

where would be the best cinema screen in the meath area (sharpest picture)?
    i dont go regularly, but some places it looks like a bad quality VHS that im watching,
    or does it just depend on the actual film itself?

been to the 3D in navan, i reckon its just a gimmick, grand for still frames/ slow moving scenes, but dosnt handle action very well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

seems its all go for the new cinema..long overdue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

Very disappointing to read that the proposed Cinema in Navan Retail Park has been refused again!

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2014/11/13/4033842-cinema-plans-shot-down-by-bord-pleanala/

The reason it's refused?....."...on the grounds that it is located on the outskirts of the town, in a location that is poorly accessible from the town centre and would conflict with retail policy"

What does "conflict with retail policy" mean? And, what do they want...for the cinema to built within the town centre, where there's already parking limitations?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

It's a joke.

There are retail units out there already..pure nonsense,,

• Advertisement

And be quite honest people should vote with their feet in regards Diamind cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭paulski999

Have to agree, surely it's ideally located, plenty of parking on the outskirts of the town, which makes more sense, in a location which will drive more passing trade for the shops already in the retail park. Makes no sense.

chrysagon wrote: »
    And be quite honest people should vote with their feet in regards Diamind cinema

Agree, haven't been in 6 years, last time was terrible and vowed not to return (funnily - it was my first date with the mrs :eek:)

The Ashbourne cinema is everything the Diamond isn't - comfortable, quality sound and picture along with free and ample parking etc, it's just a pity to have to trek to another town to see a movie.

Navan is one of those towns with some very strange planning decisions, a postoffice and multistory carpark exit on a roundabout at Scoil Mhuire, a car park on Timmons hill that made national headlines a few yrs back for all the wrong reasons, a town thats known for gridlock, yet when an idea comes to promote business to a retail park in need of it, its rejected, i find the whole planning system non transparent.

What is the point of local cllrs, have they no say? Everyone i knew was in favour of a cinema out there, plenty of parking etc, all it does is drive business to Blanchardstown, to the detriment of Navan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

chewed wrote: »
    Very disappointing to read that the proposed Cinema in Navan Retail Park has been refused again!

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2014/11/13/4033842-cinema-plans-shot-down-by-bord-pleanala/

The reason it's refused?....."...on the grounds that it is located on the outskirts of the town, in a location that is poorly accessible from the town centre and would conflict with retail policy"

What does "conflict with retail policy" mean? And, what do they want...for the cinema to built within the town centre, where there's already parking limitations?

I assume the objection is that people would have to drive to it, but given the fact that most people currently drive to Ashbourne rather than walk to the local fleapit i don't see how that argument holds water.

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »
    Agree, haven't been in 6 years, last time was terrible and vowed not to return (funnily - it was my first date with the mrs :eek:)

The Ashbourne cinema is everything the Diamond isn't - comfortable, quality sound and picture along with free and ample parking etc, it's just a pity to have to trek to another town to see a movie.

Bladespin,
    A town the size of Navan, 28k population last census, should have modern facilities to cater for the needs of the community.. but we dont, we barely have a pool, we have public parks that are almost no go areas, and lack lustre local cllrs who are only seen come election time..

Bladespin,
    A town the size of Navan, 28k population last census, should have modern facilities to cater for the needs of the community.. but we dont, we barely have a pool, we have public parks that are almost no go areas, and lack lustre local cllrs who are only seen come election time..

You only have to look at the layout of the centre of the town to realise the bad planning that took place over the last few decades!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

KFC all over again.

Herself is from Navan and in the three years with her we went to the Diamond a handful of times. It’s like a throwback from when I was growing up going into the Savoy etc in town and not in a good way. Very small seats, poor screen quality and a haphazard set up with little or no deals on tickets etc.

Then out to Showtime in a Celtic tiger ghost retail park, even the takeaway diner closed beside it (the fact they closed before the cinema finished probably didn’t help). Yes it’s a good modern cinema, but if you’re driving to Ashborune you might as well drive to Blanch. A dirty winter’s night going out back roads versus a motorway or even the old road, I know what id choose.

The same can be said for going to Drogheda, out on back roads again.

The decision has cost the area revenue and jobs... Blanch will still be getting my Euro!

Its ironic but the Navan Christmas experience is been promoted, to encourage people to shop local this Christmas.. they want u to sit in prolonged traffic, to find a car space and pay over the odds for it... Blanch is 25 mins up the motorway, free parking and all under one roof..enough said..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Yep, best of luck with getting people to spend in Navan. Won't be going to the Diamond again, can't park close to it aside from that dump of a shopping centre car park beside it which of course isn't free.

Blanch or Liffey Valley it is for me from Trim - no contest I'm afraid as long as Navan town planning continues with the stupid decision making it has up to now. Convenient free parking and modern cinemas. It's a shame as I do like to support local, but refuse to put my money into a half-arsed cinema that has nothing going for it.

Bladespin,

I have to argue this, the pool is fantastic and IMO well run, the park's brilliant too, I was there with the kids recently and can't see how it could be described as a 'no go' area, I even run it some evenings and haven't encountered anything untoward - I'm not saying it doesn't happen, there was a vandalism incident there recently.

I've already been chided here for slagging off the councilors though, glad I'm not in the minority on that one, even though (to be fair) as I understand it, they did approve the cinema.

I just struggle with the fact that there seems to be so much pandering to vested interests, the SC is killing the main street, it strangles the town and is, well, a bit rubbish really, yet we are seemingly herded to it.

I've said it before, I'd prefer to go miles out of my way than shop in town, it's such a pain and I think that's a bit sad, I like the town, I'm from it and I'll defend it but think it's run shockingly and any attempt to improve it seems to hit a wall. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

It's not what you propose, it's who you are.

The only cinema that will be allowed in this town will be the one that there is a planning permission notice for on Carraige Road, between the Pitch & Putt Club and Beechmount Garden Centre. Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

the duignan factor :D

Transparency isnt in local politics dictionary!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

A ffs, is that the last throw of the dice so?

• Advertisement

That Retail Park has been a ghost town in recent months. TK Maxx has brought some life to it, but when that novelty dies down, there'll be no reason to go there other than buy toys in Smyths at Christmas. The cinema would have been a great boost to the economy there and surely would have attracted more retailers to set up shop, thus creating more employment.

New retail park to be built behind Lidl on Trim Road in next 18 months.....

chewed wrote: »
    That Retail Park has been a ghost town in recent months. TK Maxx has brought some life to it, but when that novelty dies down, there'll be no reason to go there other than buy toys in Smyths at Christmas. The cinema would have been a great boost to the economy there and surely would have attracted more retailers to set up shop, thus creating more employment.

They're lifeless places anyway. Soulless big box stores with the same retailers, the same oul tat, and hundreds of cars. You could be in Northampton, Nenagh or any other town in the British Isles when you park up at these places. I see a burger van parked up there and doing business at the weekend. Big sign on it advertising "Burges"......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

This is beyond disappointing at this stage...

(on a side note it is actually nice to see all contributors on this thread in agreement for once about a topic! - it makes a change! :D)

Blanch and ashbourne will continue to get my business as well as my christmas shopping this year.

Im sick of the slow pace, red tape attitude of Navan town and Meath Coco... The Councillors would want to take a trip to Westport, Killarney or even Kinsale to see how a town is planned and is run properly!

Bunch of muppets.

Access wrote: »
    This is beyond disappointing at this stage...

(on a side note it is actually nice to see all contributors on this thread in agreement for once about a topic! - it makes a change! :D)

Blanch and ashbourne will continue to get my business as well as my christmas shopping this year.

Im sick of the slow pace, red tape attitude of Navan town and Meath Coco... The Councillors would want to take a trip to Westport, Killarney or even Kinsale to see how a town is planned and is run properly!

Bunch of muppets.

As far as I know the town passed the planning for the cinema its was overturned by an board pleanala on two separate occasions not sure how that can be blamed on the council / councillors....as mentioned earlier it will be built on a certain site in navan when a certain individual wants it built (not sure how he still has influence or money but he does)

That consortium not involved in NAMA land?

Navan is one of those towns where everything is deep in the town, causing even more gridlock!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

I just noticed that this thread started back in august 2012 and we still have no new cinema! - I would reckon i go to the cinema at least once a month or so...

Taking that into account and pointing out i have not gone to navan cinema in about 4 or 5 years, that means i have spent my money elsewhere (be it in blanch or ashbourne) on at least 48 different occasions and associated extra spending in those towns as well - be it a bite to eat for the family or a few extra purchases.

Money i could have spent in my own town.

The whole thing is shrounded in mystery, county council said ok... the mystery team of non natives, Board Planela said no... these guys like the guys from NAMA, shrounded in mystery , just like North Korea!!

The whole thing is shrounded in mystery, county council said ok... the mystery team of non natives, Board Planela said no... these guys like the guys from NAMA, shrounded in mystery , just like North Korea!!

yeah its weird they turned it down on an appeal from navan cinema and ashbourne cinema yet the decision was made on location and access .....yet the council can centralise their offices an equal distance out side of the town

• Advertisement

Vego wrote: »
    yeah its weird they turned it down on an appeal from navan cinema and ashbourne cinema yet the decision was made on location and access .....yet the council can centralise their offices an equal distance out side of the town

Exactly..... they bend to suit the situation presented to them!!

Advertisement