Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving a training contract

Options
  • 29-10-2014 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Is it really the worst thing in the world and will always be looked at unfavourably for years to come to change employers during a training contract? Or is it justifiable if you have a legitimate reason for wanting to switch, such as not getting the experience you need for the next step of your career?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well the first question to ask is will you be allowed to change training firms??? Training firms need to satisfy the Institute that they are in a position to provide the required experience necessary for a student to qualify as a professional account. That fact that you are not getting the experiences you think you need for your future career is neither here nor there.

As for how future employers would view it, I guess it will all depend on the industry and the individual's perspective on professional behavior. It really depends on who you interview with at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 GAC999

It's actually common enough I think. I switched training firms after only a few months with first training firm. I realised it wasn't what I wanted, wasn't the experience I wanted to gain. Much happier in newer firm. It was never that much of an issue when interviewing for a new position as long as you can explain and justify why you wanted to leave the first firm.

Good luck with it and I hope it works out for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭iwishihadaname

There hasn't been problems in the past with other people leaving training contracts where I work now so I doubt they're going to stop me from moving. I know they have the option to not sign off on my CA diary but I doubt they're going to do that.

I assume if industry companies advertise for part qualified ACA that they are registered with CAI as a training firm?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 rabbit123

There hasn't been problems in the past with other people leaving training contracts where I work now so I doubt they're going to stop me from moving. I know they have the option to not sign off on my CA diary but I doubt they're going to do that.

I assume if industry companies advertise for part qualified ACA that they are registered with CAI as a training firm?

I was let go by my firm after one year (for not getting exams). I am having a tough time getting job in practice or industry so I would say first secure job with another firm and then leave.

It has been one month and I have applied to more than 20 firms and I am in touch with some recruiters as well but nothing as yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

You can leave your contract and go and work in industry under the elevation / flexible route - you don't need a training contract. I know a guy who came from PWC and did that and he was able to just pick up where he left off. Of course, he had permission from PWC so there was no problem. I've heard other stories of firms looking for the fees back, so just be very careful and check if they are happy to let you go.

Companies in industry don't need to be register as training companies if you aren't going into another contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Jakel

There is no problem at all. I have a friend who did similar. Follow your heart

• Registered Users Posts: 33 JM_2009

Is it really the worst thing in the world and will always be looked at unfavourably for years to come to change employers during a training contract? Or is it justifiable if you have a legitimate reason for wanting to switch, such as not getting the experience you need for the next step of your career?

I did it - best decision I ever made. I left a Big 4 firm to move to industry. I now earn as much or if not more money than all my peers.

Be positive about it and you will be fine

Advertisement