Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What does a Fund Accountant do?

• 10-01-2014 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi, I am in the race for a role as a trainee fund accountant and was hoping someone could shed the light on the average day as a FA? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭loveacca

I worked at this for a while, not the most exciting job in the world. You would be just reporting on the performance of various funds, looking at bank recs, preparing Profit and Loss accounts and Balance Sheets

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Cablah

Thanks very much for the info! Would you recommend it as a good start though? And in terms of difficulty where would you rate it?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Roxirose

It can be difficult as its technical. Over all its a good start in a thriving industry

A good start is exactly what I am hoping for. There has been some posts on here that really slam fund accountancy so I was just hoping to see a positive perspective on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Ardeehey

Most negative perspectives come from those who got unlucky in the industry or just didn't like it at all or maybe just got stuck in a rut. You could be unlucky and end up in a large group doing the same work for many different funds and not really get the chance to move on and progress....or you could end up in a group where you get a rounded exposure to the full spectrum of work involved in a fund, each company has it's own individual approach to processes depending on their size. At the end of the day it's your own approach and mentality that will make most of an impact, if you are positive and proactive and show enthusiasim then it will be spotted and used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭loveacca

Ardeehey wrote: »
    Most negative perspectives come from those who got unlucky in the industry or just didn't like it at all or maybe just got stuck in a rut. You could be unlucky and end up in a large group doing the same work for many different funds and not really get the chance to move on and progress....or you could end up in a group where you get a rounded exposure to the full spectrum of work involved in a fund, each company has it's own individual approach to processes depending on their size. At the end of the day it's your own approach and mentality that will make most of an impact, if you are positive and proactive and show enthusiasim then it will be spotted and used.

I would agree, I didnt mean to sound to negative in my earlier post. It can be a good starting job and people have gone on to very rewarding and successful careers in that industry ..................................... but not me

loveacca wrote: »
    I would agree, I didnt mean to sound to negative in my earlier post. It can be a good starting job and people have gone on to very rewarding and successful careers in that industry ..................................... but not me

Oh no it wasn't negative its exactly the type of answer I was hoping for. Another question if you don't mind. When you decided to get out, did you find it easy or hard to change the path of your career?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 realthbr

Just about to take a fund accounting role myself. I've spent the last while going through all the threads mentioning fund accounting. The negativity is amazing in some of the posts. I guess you have to start somewhere in life though. I'm pretty impressed with the starting salary on offer to me and the interviewers where pretty sound and seemed like people I'd get on well with so I'm just happy to have a job at the moment. All this talk about the long hours and eating lunch at your desk does bother me though. In a few months time I'll have my own valid opinion on the job so I'll be sure to give here on boards ;)

Advertisement