Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going from Sky+ HD to Freeview/Saorview

• 24-11-2015 2:20pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I know this question has probably been asked a thousand times already, but after a lot of confused googling I'm going to have to ask again!

I currently have a dish on the roof, supplying the signal to my Sky+ HD box in the living room.
    The TV does not have a Saorview/Freeview tuner built in.
    And I currently don't have an antenna on the roof either.

We just don't use Sky, aside from cartoons and the occasional nonsense on late at night and the expense of the monthly sub is seeming more and more like a waste of money.

So, what do I need to switch to the aforementioned Saorview/Freeview lineup?
    I am living just outside Swords in North Co Dublin and I've no idea what the digital signal is like from UK stations, or does this matter if I have a dish?

Help, links to the right box, what other equipment will I need, all welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Freeview all depends on your location, I believe Swords wouldn't be close enough to the UK or the North for signal. However, you can get either Freesat or free to air from your dish.

Saorview, signal should be strong enough indoors so a simple indoor aerial might be enough.

I'd recommend a Freesat/Saorview Combo box if you don't plan on changing the TV itself. DID had one on offer lately but the link I was going to provide isn't up anymore so probably out of stock now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Hi,

So, what do I need to switch to the aforementioned Saorview/Freeview lineup?
    I am living just outside Swords in North Co Dublin and I've no idea what the digital signal is like from UK stations, or does this matter if I have a dish?

Help, links to the right box, what other equipment will I need, all welcome.

You won't get a signal from the UK via an aerial so the dish is your best option. An indoor aerial should be fine for receiving Saorview unless you're unlucky with your location.

A box like this one of these, connected to your aerial and existing Sky dish will do the job:
    http://www.freetv.ie/satellite/receivers/combo.html

There are fancier versions with Smart capabilities. built-in hard drive for recording, etc etc but that's basically it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭com1

Your dish should be pointed in the right direction to get the free to air channels available on the astra (?) satellite. If you own the SKY+ box (don't know - never had one) you should be able to tune that to the free to air channels (BBC, ITV, Channel 4 etc) then just stop paying the subscription - SKY will disable the card but the free channels should still be viewable. Other than that one of the satellite tv shops should be able to sell you a receiver for a reasonable price - get them to set it up first and then all you will have to do is swap it in for the SKY box (i.e. plug it into the satellite cable (F-Connector)) and away you go.

If you want Saorview then you really need an aerial. Again fairly simple to setup - just get a combo box (rather than a receiver) and plug the aerial into the aerial socket and satellite cable into satellite socket and away you go.

I have one of these http://www.satworld.ie/amiko-alien-2-triple-plus-tuner.html and one of these http://www.satworld.ie/revez-hdts810-combo-receiver.html (in different rooms)

Both work fine off a sky dish with a 4 port LNB and one of these for Saorview http://www.satworld.ie/mini-uhf-log-periodic-aerial-revez.html

(No affiliation to the shop mentioned - I am sure any satellite TV shop will have the same or similar items)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You won't get a signal from the UK via an aerial so the dish is your best option. An indoor aerial should be fine for receiving Saorview unless you're unlucky with your location.

A box like this one of these, connected to your aerial and existing Sky dish will do the job:
    http://www.freetv.ie/satellite/receivers/combo.html

There are fancier versions with Smart capabilities. built-in hard drive for recording, etc etc but that's basically it.

Which one of those would you recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,308 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If you want saorview then you will need an aerial of some sort, whether that be in inside or rooftop aerial will depend on your location. Check with the neighbours to see what they have or just have a look around at the rooftops.

For the FTA channels from your dish why would you buy another receiver when you have a fully functional Sky box? The combo boxes are handy but not necessary as most of the stuff you would be watching would most likely be via your satellite dish. But if you wish to spend the extra money on a combo receiver then thats fine otherwise just get a saorview approved box for the terrestrial channels. Pricewise you are probably looking at around 35 - 40 euro.

Another point to watch out for if you intend using the Sky box as a FTA receiver is that the box will keep the Irish EPG - i.e 101 RTE1, 102 RTE2 etc. As you are no longer a Sky subscriber at that point you wont be able to view those channels and you wont get the ITV channels or channel 5 etc. To overcome that have a search on Adverts.ie for a "Sky card" which you should pick up for about a fiver and when you use that you will then get the full range of the UK channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,308 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If its any help my daughter bought a little combo box from a shop seller on Adverts about a year ago just after she left sky and its working as good as the day she got it. I think it cost about €50 at the time but having looked at their items on Adverts I dont see the same model available.

However they have a lot of combo boxes on sale should you decide to go down that route. No connection with the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Which one of those would you recommend?

Sorry, can't recommend. I've ordered the first (cheapest) one from Amazon but it hasn't arrived yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

muffler wrote: »
    If you want saorview then you will need an aerial of some sort, whether that be in inside or rooftop aerial will depend on your location. Check with the neighbours to see what they have or just have a look around at the rooftops.

For the FTA channels from your dish why would you buy another receiver when you have a fully functional Sky box? The combo boxes are handy but not necessary as most of the stuff you would be watching would most likely be via your satellite dish. But if you wish to spend the extra money on a combo receiver then thats fine otherwise just get a saorview approved box for the terrestrial channels. Pricewise you are probably looking at around 35 - 40 euro.

I'll tell you, while I don't mind really, the clutter would drive my wife mad, and I want a simple all in one system that just works, hopefully from the one GUI and programme guide.
    I see some of them also add in a media player, that can read NAS storage, which would be another bonus, as I currently also have a WDTW Live box beneath the TV as well.

I'll do some looking and let you know what I end up buying and if it's sh1te or not!

Thanks for you help everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,659 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I'll tell you, while I don't mind really, the clutter would drive my wife mad, and I want a simple all in one system that just works, hopefully from the one GUI and programme guide.

The easiest clutter free solution and easily distributable around the house would be Saorview combined with Freeview from a transmitter in NI into a Freeview PVR, of course that depends on what the Freeview signal is like in Swords. Have a look around the area for aerials pointing northwards or ask a local aerial installer for advice.

Regarding the Saorview and Freesat solution, there isn't a combined receiver yet but may be on the way according to an article in a recent edition of the Sunday Times, no details announced yet (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=97656653#post97656653).

Don't need to distribute the signal around the house, I just use my NAS and stream downloaded media from there, which is the source of 9/10s of what we watch, it's for the handful of times we are too lazy and just flick on the Sky box to watch muck on one of the many channels of the stuff there.
    A combo box will do the trick nicely and save me €54 a month too boot.
    Not sure my young fella will appreciate losing Cartoon Network though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Don't need to distribute the signal around the house, I just use my NAS and stream downloaded media from there, which is the source of 9/10s of what we watch, it's for the handful of times we are too lazy and just flick on the Sky box to watch muck on one of the many channels of the stuff there.
    A combo box will do the trick nicely and save me €54 a month too boot.
    Not sure my young fella will appreciate losing Cartoon Network though :(

If you are technical enough to stream a NAS around the house then just get a Linux Combo Box running Enigma2. They can access your NAS as well. Linux boxes allow Sky like feel (even down to similar GUIs!) You can combine the Irish channel off an aerial and the free satellite channles like BBC/ITVs etc in one channel list and record etc.

Enigma2 also allows plugins like Ondemand which gives you TV3 and RTE players.

One of the cheaper ones out there is the Xtrend 8000 (2 x dvb-s, 1 x dvb-t config) 239
    scroll down to the variations and choose the Xtrend ET 8000 HD 2x DVB-S2 / 1x DVB-C/T2 Hybrid Tuner PVR Ready Linux Full HD HbbTV Receiver

https://www.hm-sat-shop.de/en/hdtv-receiver-sat/xtrend/1938/xtrend-et-8000-hd-pvr-ready-linux-full-hd-hbbtv-receiver

You can then install the base image from a variety of sources which are discussed widely here and in the Foreign Satellite forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Would you consider a telly with built in Saorview and built in Freesat? That way, you get rid of the need for a box at all and less clutter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭lertsnim

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Would you consider a telly with built in Saorview and built in Freesat? That way, you get rid of the need for a box at all and less clutter.

Not much good if you feel like recording something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭weslers

Trying to setup Freeview on Samsung smart TV if anyone has had any luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,659 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

weslers wrote: »
    Trying to setup Freeview on Samsung smart TV if anyone has had any luck

Are you in a Freeview coverage area with an aerial pointing at a UK transmitter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭weslers

The Cush wrote: »
    Are you in a Freeview coverage area with an aerial pointing at a UK transmitter?

In ballybrack with a Sky satellite and assume it's pointing the right way

Advertisement