Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freesat Setup with Samsung Smart Hub

• 25-11-2014 8:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a Samsung Smart TV F8000 and recently got a Freesat and Saorview setup working using the on board tuners.

I wanted to try out the Smart Hub "On TV" feature and had a small problem with the Freesat part.

The image below explains what screen I'm looking to configure.

k9ypt0.jpg

Main pciture (Top Left) shows what channel is currently being viewed.
    The 6 boxes to the right of this are the list of other stations.
    And below 6 boxes show what is upcoming.

At the moment the stations for the 12 boxes are Saorview Stations - this is fine and working.

But I wanted to try to use the FreeSat channel for this area and can't seem to get it working.

When I go into the Smart Features Menu --> ON TV
    There is a setup for what input I want. I select Freesat and then it comes up with the Irish counties and any county I choose gives an error that the service is not available.

For tuning the Freesat and Saorview I set the TV up for UK - this give the Irish stations (under Freeview icon) in the 800 range of channels.

Does anyone know where to change these setting to get this "on TV" area working with Freesat.

I realise that I might not be making a whole pile of sense but any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Hi quazzy, I unfortunately dont have an answer for you but I'm looking for help...how do you switch between saoeview and freesat?! I see on boards here other Samsung models and people saying to press channel list then the red button snd choose whether you want air or freesat bur my f8000 doesnt have that option...does that work for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It can be done, but it's very tricky. Samsung assume Freesat is UK only - which is why you can't select it.

Smart Hub actually uses your IP to detect what region it should be. But you can force it to change with a hidden menu. Note that doing this will remove RTE and TV3 players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

Hi quazzy, I unfortunately dont have an answer for you but I'm looking for help...how do you switch between saoeview and freesat?! I see on boards here other Samsung models and people saying to press channel list then the red button snd choose whether you want air or freesat bur my f8000 doesnt have that option...does that work for you?

I don't use Red button to switch between Freesat and Saorview
    I use Select Channel List and then press on press Right Arrow to Select from Air, Cable, Freesat etc...

Air = Saorview and Freesat is obviously Freesat.

Don't have a screenshot but can get one if you are stuck.

JDxtra wrote: »
    It can be done, but it's very tricky. Samsung assume Freesat is UK only - which is why you can't select it.

Smart Hub actually uses your IP to detect what region it should be. But you can force it to change with a hidden menu. Note that doing this will remove RTE and TV3 players.

hmmmm...

I've never used the TV3 Player but do use the RTE player.

If you make the change is it possible to download the RTE app again from the Samsung App Store or is the RTE app somehow pre-configured via the setup menus and not via App store?

quazzy wrote: »
    I don't use Red button to switch between Freesat and Saorview
    I use Select Channel List and then press on press Right Arrow to Select from Air, Cable, Freesat etc...

Air = Saorview and Freesat is obviously Freesat.

Don't have a screenshot but can get one if you are stuck.

Thanks a million for that quazzy, I couldn't find how to switch in the manual - I really appreciate the reply! In realtion to your question above I think that if you change your IP address as suggested by JDxtra to pretend you are in the UK, then the RTE player isn't availabe to you at all - but I could stand corrected on that! I think that you can only download it from the app store if you have an Irish IP address

• Advertisement

Found this video that demos the process on an F7000 (looks the same to me)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWE3GcyoE6Y

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭lertsnim

hmmmm...

I've never used the TV3 Player but do use the RTE player.

If you make the change is it possible to download the RTE app again from the Samsung App Store or is the RTE app somehow pre-configured via the setup menus and not via App store?

There are different versions of the App Store for different countries. If you setup the TV for the UK so as to access Freesat you will be using the UK App Store.

I put my Smart hub into UK mode last night again to try it. Noticed they get a games tab, and we don't. Of the players only 40D player worked, the others didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I put my Smart hub into UK mode last night again to try it. Noticed they get a games tab, and we don't. Of the players only 40D player worked, the others didn't.

Using compatible DNS numbers will allow them to work. BBC iPlayer is probably my most used app on the tv after Netflix.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Using compatible DNS numbers will allow them to work. BBC iPlayer is probably my most used app on the tv after Netflix.

Do you get different Netflix content also then lertsnim?

• Advertisement

Is it easy to revert back to the IRish version using the method you mentioned?

Also, Do you need to re-calibrate the display settings when you do this?

Same method to roll back. It didn't affect my display settings.

Same method to roll back. It didn't affect my display settings.

Would you be able to share the method that you used to Switch to UK mode.

I might give it a shot and see.

Thanks,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

there is no discussing circumventing regional restrictions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

Is there a quick method of switching from the saorview tuner over to the freesat tuner without having to go through the channel list button and then clicking to the left for the options.

I think it would be handy if there was a way of programming a shortcut on the remote. Can this be done?

Does anybody have a link for some good display settings for this tv.

There are shortcuts on the 2014 Smart Hub. They appear on the bottom of the screen and allow you to flip between Saorview/Freesat channels.

See demo of both methods here:

My Smart Hub doesn't have that option. I'm assuming its not a standard upgrade but a purchased one via the Evolution kit.

Yes. That's what the 2014 Smart Hub looks like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭WHL

Did you get two remotes with your Samsung TV. I did and the smaller one has a "Recommended" function if you touch the bottom left side of the touchpad. This gives you a list of recommended channels at the bottom of the screen but if you sweep left you move from "Recommended" to "History". This should give you a choice of both Saorview and freesat channels

How can I set the shortcuts in smart hub

• Advertisement

WHL wrote: »
    Did you get two remotes with your Samsung TV. I did and the smaller one has a "Recommended" function if you touch the bottom left side of the touchpad. This gives you a list of recommended channels at the bottom of the screen but if you sweep left you move from "Recommended" to "History". This should give you a choice of both Saorview and freesat channels
    Yep. I got 2 remotes. I'll check out the history option and see if it works.

The history option worked for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭WHL

Good to hear it. My teenage daughter taught her technical dad how to do that. Shows that I am getting old 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭kyeev

I also had to do the switch to UK IP mode to get the ON Tv suggestion thing working for freesat. Then it tells you what films/kids/recommended_to_you are on at the moment etc.
    We actually use this function more than anything else.
    Otherwise, if you stay on Ireland mode, it just tells you whats on for saorview which is a bit pointless for 8 channels.
    (If you have a sky/upc box, you don't need to do this messing around. It'll connect through your box)

The only annoying thing is, in UK IP mode, it switches to the UK app store so you lose RTE player etc.
    So far I haven't figured how to get the ON Tv suggestion working for Saorview, while in UK IP freesat mode.

On the plus side, you do get an extra hub of games (which I have still to try out).

Checked the games hub and it works.
    Played a temple run clone.

Why the Ireland set-up doesn't have the games hub is a mystery to me...

While on this topic could I ask anyone who is running the ON TV option to check if RTE one is linked to the wrong channel.

I have the TV region set to UK to get Freesat EPG working correctly so my Saorview stations come in on the 800 numbers (as Freeview)

The ON TV guide shows the correct porgrams coming up for all the Saorview stations but when I select RTE ONE it tunes in the Service TEst Screen. All other stations are fine. I edited the channel numbers but still get the same result.

While on this topic could I ask anyone who is running the ON TV option to check if RTE one is linked to the wrong channel.

I have the TV region set to UK to get Freesat EPG working correctly so my Saorview stations come in on the 800 numbers (as Freeview)

The ON TV guide shows the correct porgrams coming up for all the Saorview stations but when I select RTE ONE it tunes in the Service TEst Screen. All other stations are fine. I edited the channel numbers but still get the same result.

I think its working correct for me but I'll double check when I get home from work this evening. I've the same setup as you - uk region set (belfast postcode) to get freesat epg and then all my soarview stations come in as freeview in the 800s and I have renumbered then. Will let you know for definite later but I'm 99% sure rte 1 is ok for me on the ON TV guide.

Right, I have just checked this now&you have highlighted a problem I never even knew I had. For whatever reason Rte1 doesnt appear at all on the ON TV..either whats on now or whats coming up....all other saorview stations are thete and rte1 should be as I'd probably watch it the most. I havent had the tv long so ill keep sn eye on this for a while&let you know quazzy

Can anyone get 4od to work going through the browser. 4od isn’t geo-restricted so I though it should work, but its not really working for me. I can go in and choose my programs and all is fine and ads are played etc…but when the actual program starts to play the video keeps stopping/pausing…it's not evening buffering as there is no wheel etc.… Has anyone else got problems, I don’t think it’s a speed issue as the rte player through the brower plays fine for me, and 4od works on my mobile and laptop perfectly, so I’m thinking it’s something with the TV or the TV browser settings I have...if anyone can shed any light or let me know if it works for them please?

• Advertisement

I have the h6670 and I can confirm 4od works fine (through 4od app in smart hub). Watched Fr Ted last night. Quality wasn't great though. Worse than 576i SD channel

kyeev wrote: »
    I have the h6670 and I can confirm 4od works fine (through 4od app in smart hub). Watched Fr Ted last night. Quality wasn't great though. Worse than 576i SD channel

Thanks for that kyeev. Good to know the app works ok. Does it work as good if you go through the browser rather than the app as I'd prefer that way as I have rte and tv3 player working and want to keep them but going through the browser to 4od is not working properly on my F8 model and I'd love a resolution

I never even thought of going through the browser. That might solve the lack of rte player problem I have, having switched to the UK app store

I never even thought of going through the browser. That might solve the lack of rte player problem I have, having switched to the UK app store

Even though I have the Irish app store and have the rte app available to me i often go through the browser to the rte player as you get better/more content...its the same with 4od I think also...more programmes available through the browser...if only it would work right for me!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

Can anyone get 4od to work going through the browser. 4od isn’t geo-restricted so I though it should work, but its not really working for me. I can go in and choose my programs and all is fine and ads are played etc…but when the actual program starts to play the video keeps stopping/pausing…it's not evening buffering as there is no wheel etc.… Has anyone else got problems, I don’t think it’s a speed issue as the rte player through the brower plays fine for me, and 4od works on my mobile and laptop perfectly, so I’m thinking it’s something with the TV or the TV browser settings I have...if anyone can shed any light or let me know if it works for them please?

Just tried it on my 6500, same deal, strange

Just tried the RTÉ player on my TV browser and it worked fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭An Cigire

Does the Samsung 48" Smart LED TV UE48H6400AKXX have the same capability?

Set mine up today just have UPC Analogue going at the moment.

Wouldo save me buyino a Freesat box.

Cheers

An Cigire wrote: »

Cheers

Not sure, I specifically bought the 6500 for the dual tuner DVB T2 & S2 i.e. Both Saorview and Freesat connectivity (2 screw on sat connectors and 1 push in aerial). I'm pretty sure the 6400 doesn't have dual tuner but don't know whether it has DVB S2 capability, simplelest check; if you don't have the screw on connection (only the push in) then it doesn't have Freesat capability.

Dave..M wrote: »
    Just tried it on my 6500, same deal, strange
    Just tried the RTÉ player on my TV browser and it worked fine.

Thanks for checking!! It's strange alright that rte is fine through the browser but 4od isn't. I've emailed the 4od support email address so I'll let you know if I hear anything back!! Meanwhile if anyone gets it working let us know.

Had a prompt reply from 4od support as below:

"Unfortunately the 4oD service has not been optimised for the use through a Smart TV browser in this manner and therefore would not be guaranteed to work as it should.

We do apologise for any disappointment that this may cause, we do hope to provide enhanced access to other devices in the future."

So no solution forcoming unfortunately, looks like I will probably have to resort to changing the region to UK and using the browser for rte/tv3 players and forget about the irish apps.

Had a prompt reply from 4od support as below:

"Unfortunately the 4oD service has not been optimised for the use through a Smart TV browser in this manner and therefore would not be guaranteed to work as it should.

We do apologise for any disappointment that this may cause, we do hope to provide enhanced access to other devices in the future."

So no solution forcoming unfortunately, looks like I will probably have to resort to changing the region to UK and using the browser for rte/tv3 players and forget about the irish apps.

Btw I had mailed C4 a while back about the app not being on the ROI store and below is what they said so it does look like you have to switch if you need it, luckily I have easy access to 4OD on the TV through other means so can keep the ROI set up for the Irish players (not that I use them or 4od much to be honest!).

Unfortunately, due to rights agreements, the 4oD app is not available in ROI on the following devices: Samsung TV, YouView, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Roku, PS3 and Freesat.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I had replied asking why it was available on phones & tablets but never heard back, am assuming it's a small vs big screen thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Simi

An Cigire wrote: »

Cheers

The h6400 doesn't have a satellite tuner I'm afraid.

About this history option. I'm not able to find it on the h6700. When I had the TV set to Ireland I somehow managed to save RTE 1 in the smartbar for easy switching, but since I've reset to the UK I've been unable to repeat this or even save a freesat channel to the bar. Ideally I'd like it set up as it is in the video to make it easier for the technically challenged in the house to switch back & forth.

Simi wrote: »
    The h6400 doesn't have a satellite tuner I'm afraid.

About this history option. I'm not able to find it on the h6700. When I had the TV set to Ireland I somehow managed to save RTE 1 in the smartbar for easy switching, but since I've reset to the UK I've been unable to repeat this or even save a freesat channel to the bar. Ideally I'd like it set up as it is in the video to make it easier for the technically challenged in the house to switch back & forth.

Having channels in smart bar also allows switching between tuners when recording. Try leaving the TV on at night on a channel and then check in the morning (set TV to auto switch off after 4 hours, should be enough if its still possible to add them to the bar, main reason I am not switching to UK store as I don't want to reset the bar)

Just checked there, I can watch RTE player through browser while in UK IP mode.
    And 4OD through the app. Excellent...
    Quality looks about 576i for RTE player I'd say.
    (I have h6670).

Just checked there, I can watch RTE player through browser while in UK IP mode.
    And 4OD through the app. Excellent...
    Quality looks about 576i for RTE player I'd say.
    (I have h6670).

How can I change the settings to uk mode and still have the saorview channels on the first tuner.

kala85 wrote: »
    How can I change the settings to uk mode and still have the saorview channels on the first tuner.

Don't think we are allowed to discuss that here kala85 -see post #15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

Having channels in smart bar also allows switching between tuners when recording. Try leaving the TV on at night on a channel and then check in the morning (set TV to auto switch off after 4 hours, should be enough if its still possible to add them to the bar, main reason I am not switching to UK store as I don't want to reset the bar)

just double checking... does this allow you to to switch to a Freesat channel if you are recording a Saorview one? I have a H6500 and had noticed that while recording on Saorview I couldn't change to any sat channel

just double checking... does this allow you to to switch to a Freesat channel if you are recording a Saorview one? I have a H6500 and had noticed that while recording on Saorview I couldn't change to any sat channel

Yes and vice versa (although you can switch one way via the ON TV depending on which store you are on, UK or IRL)

Has anyone connected another satellite feed to the secondary satellite tuner on the h6670/h6700 (or 7000/8000 series)?
    Cos you should be able to change freesat channel then, while recording another freesat.

I'll probably get round to connecting up the 2nd satellite feed next week when the weather calms down.

Yes. That works fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

Yes and vice versa (although you can switch one way via the ON TV depending on which store you are on, UK or IRL)

Thanks Dave... I must try to set that up so.
    I had set to the UK Smart Hub (for 4oD) but I'm going to switch back to the IRL one for simplicity.

• Advertisement
Advertisement