Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

iLaura wrote: »
    I have an assignment to submit to SULIS, and a reflection to email to a tutor, both of which can only be done at the weekend during placement. It's so stupid.

You'll soon come to see that you can't rely on SULIS and should download the slides asap after they're put up.

Exams are grand if you attend everything and study for them. Just don't fall into the pit trap of thinking that your exams don't matter just because 1st year QCA isn't counted towards your degree. It does matter for getting co-op, especially if you're going out during summer of 2nd year 'cause your 1st year results are the only ones you'll have before your interviews.

My friends are in the same situation as you! I feel for them and you, it must be frustrating!

I haven't actually missed anything this semester but I'm also terrible at exams. Luckily all my assignments have gotten 80%+ so hopefully I'll do okay.

Thanks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

Your QCA in first year also counts for Erasmus , some of my friends found that out the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Troxck wrote: »
    My friends are in the same situation as you! I feel for them and you, it must be frustrating!

I haven't actually missed anything this semester but I'm also terrible at exams. Luckily all my assignments have gotten 80%+ so hopefully I'll do okay.

Thanks! :D

Incredibly frustrating :P Especially since I got up early to do my last reflection and everything.

Keep up the whole 'not-missing-anything' thing. It does reflect in your grades if you were present and paying attention for all your lectures. It's also a pride thing too. I love saying to people that I did a golden year and seeing the looks of astonishment on their faces. All the lectures I went to wrecked tired definitely pay off for that look.

Incredibly frustrating :P Especially since I got up early to do my last reflection and everything.

Keep up the whole 'not-missing-anything' thing. It does reflect in your grades if you were present and paying attention for all your lectures. It's also a pride thing too. I love saying to people that I did a golden year and seeing the looks of astonishment on their faces. All the lectures I went to wrecked tired definitely pay off for that look.

Saying that, doing labs hangover as fúck is pretty hard, not going to lie.

I want a good QCA just to set me apart for possible future internships. Luckily, my course doesn't do CoOp until 3rd year.
    I'm pretty sure you can't do Erasmus either with mine

Saying that, doing labs hangover as fúck is pretty hard, not going to lie.

I want a good QCA just to set me apart for possible future internships. Luckily, my course doesn't do CoOp until 3rd year.
    I'm pretty sure you can't do Erasmus either with mine

I spilled E.coli all over myself in a lab once after a night out while incredibly tired. Thankfully it was a lab strain of it and wasn't dangerous :P

• Advertisement

I spilled E.coli all over myself in a lab once after a night out while incredibly tired. Thankfully it was a lab strain of it and wasn't dangerous :P

A girl got 0.102M HCL in her mouth during the Lab tests week, could have been worse...

Luckily mine was only a lab working with an Arduino so I was just a bit slow at it. If you did Second year Science Ed with Physics you'd know the module.

A girl got 0.102M HCL in her mouth during the Lab tests week, could have been worse...

Luckily mine was only a lab working with an Arduino so I was just a bit slow at it. If you did Second year Science Ed with Physics you'd know the module.

Oh wow...intelligent. How in the name of god do you get it into your mouth though? At least it wasn't 5M or something higher...

Nah, I'm Biological Science Ed, though my elective is physics. We thankfully haven't had anything to do with Arduino's as we didn't do physics in 2nd year :P

Oh wow...intelligent. How in the name of god do you get it into your mouth though? At least it wasn't 5M or something higher...

Nah, I'm Biological Science Ed, though my elective is physics. We thankfully haven't had anything to do with Arduino's as we didn't do physics in 2nd year :P

AFAIK, it dropped onto her pen, from habit she put the pen in her mouth.

Ah okay, it's only those who picked Physics for second year have it. It's a tin module, just my course and about 12 Science Ed. We're slightly disadvantaged because they know how college and exams work but (and I know it sounds cocky) we're on par with their Physics knowledge even in first year.

AFAIK, it dropped onto her pen, from habit she put the pen in her mouth.

Ah okay, it's only those who picked Physics for second year have it. It's a tin module, just my course and about 12 Science Ed. We're slightly disadvantaged because they know how college and exams work but (and I know it sounds cocky) we're on par with their Physics knowledge even in first year.

It's not cocky at all, your course is designed to do more in depth physics. Like, after this year I'll be qualified to teach physics, and the only physics modules I've done are Mechanics/Heat/Electricity/Magnetis, Waves/Light/Modern Physics, Optics and Semiconductors. When I'm back from placement after Christmas I'll do Thermal Physics. Ye get to do a wider variety of physics which give you a better base knowledge. And you need to remember that a good few people in the Phys/Chem science teaching course might only have had Junior Cert physics before coming to college.

It's not cocky at all, your course is designed to do more in depth physics. Like, after this year I'll be qualified to teach physics, and the only physics modules I've done are Mechanics/Heat/Electricity/Magnetis, Waves/Light/Modern Physics, Optics and Semiconductors. When I'm back from placement after Christmas I'll do Thermal Physics. Ye get to do a wider variety of physics which give you a better base knowledge. And you need to remember that a good few people in the Phys/Chem science teaching course might only have had Junior Cert physics before coming to college.

I share the Mechanics/Heat/Electricity/Magnetis module with lads going off to do Bio + Ag and I feel bad for them. I end up helping some in the tutorials though and they seem to be getting on fine now!

I would have liked to have done Education but I didn't get the points for the Physic and Biology one. I got the points for the Phys/Chem one but I wouldn't feel confident teaching Chem (only started it in college). I also missed too much of the Education module and I would have had to repeat first year, so I decided against it. I can always do a masters I guess, but it probably won't be worth it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭shano_88

Ugh, I could really do with Sulis going live again this evening.

shano_88 wrote: »
    Ugh, I could really do with Sulis going live again this evening.

It's working for me again, though I had to clear the cache on my browser, so try that maybe?

It's working for me again, though I had to clear the cache on my browser, so try that maybe?

Cheers, ya seems to be working for me again now

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭VanishingActs

My email's down and I REALLY need to access it. Anyone know if the email's working from the library computers?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

A bit late, but the reason SULIS was down was the power outage that was scheduled for 4pm on Friday evening actually took place at 7am Sunday morning.

Gotta love UL's organisational skills...

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

I've really messed up this semester, my attendance has somehow gotten worse since 1st year (I've missed the majority of my lectures and tutorials) and I really don't expect i'll be able to cram these exams as well as I could cram last years. I'm such an idiot :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Midkemia wrote: »
    I've really messed up this semester, my attendance has somehow gotten worse since 1st year (I've missed the majority of my lectures and tutorials) and I really don't expect i'll be able to cram these exams as well as I could cram last years. I'm such an idiot :o

Thanks for the confession.

Now, what's your plan? Are you going to concentrate on a certain number of exams and try and pass those and do repeats for the others or try and pass them all?

Thanks for the confession.

Now, what's your plan? Are you going to concentrate on a certain number of exams and try and pass those and do repeats for the others or try and pass them all?

^^ This. Don't just sit back and stew in the whole "I'm a gombeen for not doing anything for the semester...well, better not try!" mindset. Go to the remaining lectures. If the lecturers are running tutorials or lectures during study week, go. Put in as much effort as you can into studying during study week/exams without killing yourself, and prioritise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Anyone invigilating the Christmas Exams? If so have ye received hours and contracts yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

People coming into the library at half 2 yesterday - clearly looking like they were just out of bed or hungover - complaining that they can't get a seat in the library.. Sorry guys but don't complain when there are people in at 8, desperate to get a seat, only taking 30 minutes break so they don't lose said seat.
    Kind of annoyed me yesterday..

Also, SULIS better not go down today!

• Advertisement

Is the 30 minute break thing even being enforced this week?

The fella beside me yesterday left at 3 O Clock, left all his stuff there and still wasnt back at half 7 when I was leaving.

shano_88 wrote: »
    Is the 30 minute break thing even being enforced this week?

The fella beside me yesterday left at 3 O Clock, left all his stuff there and still wasnt back at half 7 when I was leaving.

That's so annoying..Some of us actually take our stuff with us if we have to be gone for an hour and then some just don't get noticed..Ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

The library and UL in general is much quieter than any other set of exams I've noticed... Seats readily available in the library up until about 11.30... Plenty of computers available... No huge queues outside the libo or in the shop. It's strange to be honest!

Pete123456 wrote: »
    The library and UL in general is much quieter than any other set of exams I've noticed... Seats readily available in the library up until about 11.30... Plenty of computers available... No huge queues outside the libo or in the shop. It's strange to be honest!

I think it definitely depends on the day whether it is empty or not. Monday and Tuesday were packed in my opinion but Thursday and today is dead..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

UL. Group project work. Have new found insight as to what drives someone to become a serial killer. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

If the price of the city bus goes up much more, it would be better to walk...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

sup_dude wrote: »
    If the price of the city bus goes up much more, it would be better to walk...

Took fifteen minutes for everyone to actually board the bus in the city yesterday because people were handing over €2 coins and then had to fumble for the 10c

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Took fifteen minutes for everyone to actually board the bus in the city yesterday because people were handing over €2 coins and then had to fumble for the 10c

But there's no warning or anything on the buses. When are they gonna stop increasing? Can the SU do anythung about it?

sup_dude wrote: »
    But there's no warning or anything on the buses. When are they gonna stop increasing? Can the SU do anythung about it?

So it's €2.10 now? Jesus! It'll be cheaper to get a taxi into town now with a group of people, especially since there's no waiting around at bus stops and stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The price for Leap Card has stayed the same. It's only €1.60 and it means you're never stuck looking for change.

Advertisement