Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

European freedom

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 claudiog

molloyjh wrote: »
    The point that I was trying to make though is that we vote for our politicians (all of us) to represet us and make decisions for us. If we have to ratify everything that they do then they would never get anything done. The Lisbon Treaty will have little to no effect on our day to day lives yet the Budget that the Minister for Finance comes up with every year has huge impacts on our day to day lives. If we're going to vote for something that has very little effect on our lives (Lisbon) why would we not vote for things that have huge impacts on our lives (Budgets, laws etc)? Where does it end?

Sorry, I fully disagree with u. The Lisbon Treaty *do* will have an high impact on your day to day lives. At minimum because it will affect the level of taxation.
    I'm really surprised that many of you, folks, have not pointed out this fact.
    Actually right now the EU structure has a strong impact on your dat to day lives.

Claudio G.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

claudiog wrote: »
    Sorry, I fully disagree with u. The Lisbon Treaty *do* will have an high impact on your day to day lives. At minimum because it will affect the level of taxation.
    I'm really surprised that many of you, folks, have not pointed out this fact.
    Lots of people have pointed it out. Lots more have pointed out that it's not a fact at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Yes molloyjh but the great thing in this country is no matter what party get's into power it's not just unquestionable power they still answer to the rules set out in our constitution and if they want to change them they have to ask us. I know lisbon wasn't the perfect thing to have a referendum on but it was affecting our constitution and if we let them change the rules without asking us, then to repeat yourself, "Where does it end?"

Sorry Shooter, I wasn't trying to say that we shouldn't have voted on Lisbon. However I was trying to say that many people here have said that all EU citizens should have had the right to decide if the Lisbon Treaty was a good deal or not because it impacted them. And this is a very flawed reason for a referendum given that everything politicians do impacts the people. The logic that "it impacts me so I should be able to vote on it" would mean we'd be voting non-stop.

Caludio, the Lisbon Treaty does not change the right to veto any proposals on tax issues so we're protected from the CCCTB thing through this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 claudiog

molloyjh wrote: »
    Caludio, the Lisbon Treaty does not change the right to veto any proposals on tax issues so we're protected from the CCCTB thing through this.
    Oh yes, let me tell me skeptical: this is theory, in practice I think there are several ways to swallow a bitter pillow :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

claudiog wrote: »
    Oh yes, let me tell me skeptical: this is theory, in practice I think there are several ways to swallow a bitter pillow :rolleyes:

No it is fact. We still have our right to veto any tax proposals, as do all other member states. There are several others including the UK that are opposed to tax harmonisation of any sort. Lisbon will have no impact on our direct taxation. Now from what I can see tax harmonisation may be a medium to long term reality (Although look at the US, they don't have tax harmonisation there) however Lisbon will have nothing to do with this.

Advertisement