Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying bitcoins

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,193 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Apparently it was more than one buyer but yeah, sale of the century, and GDAX is honouring all trades

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,460 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

jester77 wrote: »

current worth approx 2,160,991.547859

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Apparently it was more than one buyer but yeah, sale of the century, and GDAX is honouring all trades

no skin off their nose - they are only an exchange. It's the seller that got burned.

That was obviously some smart chicken who had an auto buy order triggered @ 10c..

It seems a little bit too glitchy/manipulated for the price to drop so far so quickly with such a subsequent rebound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,926 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Valuable lesson learnt to always set a price on trades. But God damn I wouldn't have minded getting some of those 10c ETH and be a big fat ETH millionaire this morning :)

Valuable lesson learnt to always set a price on trades. But God damn I wouldn't have minded getting some of those 10c ETH and be a big fat ETH millionaire this morning :)

shaking my head really... that was a $720 investment

there is no way that that person could have been expecting to wake up over $2m richer because of that buy order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,968 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I think I've got an idea who bought all that ETH @$0.10 a pop:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

10c jaysus, did it go that low on all exchanges or just GDAX?

safetyboy wrote: »
    10c jaysus, did it go that low on all exchanges or just GDAX?

GDAX by the looks of it

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

hi everyone.
    Looking at investing a couple hundred euro I have spare to LTC, happy to leave for a couple of years.

Any advice?

I have a coinbase account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Stan27 wrote: »
    hi everyone.
    Looking at investing a couple hundred euro I have spare to LTC, happy to leave for a couple of years.

Any advice?

What advice do you want? You've made your decision and never the infrastructure set up to make the investment. Just go and do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 wonk

any advise on the best place to buy etc using EUR? kraken taking forever to verify my account. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭djan

Stan27 wrote:
    hi everyone. Looking at investing a couple hundred euro I have spare to LTC, happy to leave for a couple of years.
    Any advice?

I would personally suggest spreading the investments into the 3 offerings on coinbase or at least split between LTC and one of the other two as BTC and ETH have been quite price-linked.

If you are happy to leave for a few years. I'd recommend giving yourself a set time line and stick to it. As in, don't sell at the first sign of profit/crash a year on. Hold out for at least 3 years and then re-evaluate.

In terms of the exchange, while coinbase.com has had some bad press regarding their tendency to shut down when there's drastic spikes in trade volumes for the duration, in terms of safety it is one of the best with its offline based cold storage and high insured guarantees. As always, cold wallets are safest bet for long term storage but it is a little bit of hassle.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

djan wrote: »
    I would personally suggest spreading the investments into the 3 offerings on coinbase or at least split between LTC and one of the other two as BTC and ETH have been quite price-linked.

If you are happy to leave for a few years. I'd recommend giving yourself a set time line and stick to it. As in, don't sell at the first sign of profit/crash a year on. Hold out for at least 3 years and then re-evaluate.

In terms of the exchange, while coinbase.com has had some bad press regarding their tendency to shut down when there's drastic spikes in trade volumes for the duration, in terms of safety it is one of the best with its offline based cold storage and high insured guarantees. As always, cold wallets are safest bet for long term storage but it is a little bit of hassle.

Good luck!

Thank you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 iguot edgar

Created by greedy kings to get fatter with crumbs for the pawns, that's all all this is.

coinidol. com/suspicion-of-insider-trading-at-poloniex/

Created by greedy kings to get fatter with crumbs for the pawns, that's all all this is.

It's crypto-currencies. Insider trading is rife.

When people want a decentralised no-rules, no-regulations totally free market, this is part of it. Further down the line, when people start to make significant losses due to this, they will start to demand more rules, regulations, independent commissions, standards, etc. It's exactly like the early days of the stock markets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    It's crypto-currencies. Insider trading is rife.
    In the gold rush, wasn't it the lads selling the shovels that made the moo-lah?

i don't see crypto's as a 'gold rush' - but obviously there's a sizeable proportion that have a purely speculative interest in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

In the gold rush, wasn't it the lads selling the shovels that made the moo-lah?

i don't see crypto's as a 'gold rush' - but obviously there's a sizeable proportion that have a purely speculative interest in it

Including Trumpf, grandfather of US President.

He provided various services to the miners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

wonk wrote: »
    any advise on the best place to buy etc using EUR? kraken taking forever to verify my account. Thanks

If you wish to buy Bitcoin, Etherium or Litecoin, Belgacoin.com is pretty good with no account verification hassles, apart from needing to do a small trade first to verify bank details. Not great for accurately timing purchases due to the SEPA processing chain time-line, so not for day-trading, but otherwise very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rorytrader

Does anyone here know anywhere to find people who are interested in buying ETH for cash or bank transfer?

nuac wrote: »
    Including Trumpf, grandfather of US President.

He provided various services to the miners

If his grandson is anything to go by, I'm guessing he ran a brothel.

• Advertisement

Rorytrader wrote: »
    Does anyone here know anywhere to find people who are interested in buying ETH for cash or bank transfer?

https://localbitcoins.com/

Another option would be paxful.com.

You can exchange Etherium for Bitcoin using http://shapeshift.io/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

wonk wrote: »
    Make sure you know the difference between ETC and ETH first of all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

cnocbui wrote: »
    Localbitcoins does not support ETH buying/selling on their platform as far as I know?

However, an ETH-specific marketplace is due to go live in the near future. The sooner the better. This catfarting around of converting ETH into BTC to sell is a pain. https://localethereum.com/

Bitstamp is promising to introduce ETH to Dollar and Euro pairing later next month.

Localbitcoins does not support ETH buying/selling on their platform as far as I know?

However, an ETH-specific marketplace is due to go live in the near future. The sooner the better. This catfarting around of converting ETH into BTC to sell is a pain. https://localethereum.com/

Bitstamp is promising to introduce ETH to Dollar and Euro pairing later next month.

Well catfarting is a fact of life if you want cash to dodge the man.

Why are you bashing Poloniex with some article from over two months ago?
    To this day, it still is only a "suspicion" and hasn't been proven or verified. This allegation was initially made by a few disgruntled bagholders of absolute ****ecoins which were delisted by Poloniex due to their minimal trading volume. Nothing else.
    Now, yesterday's ETH meltdown was not a Poloniex issue. Polo kept operating whilst the likes of Coinbase and Bittrex were goin under, whilst GDAX was costing it's clients millons of dollars in an eyeblink.
    Fair is fair.

Well catfarting is a fact of life if you want cash to dodge the man.
    Yes, but you can't get cash for your ETH on localbitcoins.

KilOit wrote: »
    For all the **** that just happened to Ethereum's network it didn't fall far. Status really tested the network and for all the flac it's getting no other coin would of been able to sustain that volume of transactions..
    Have to say my enthusiasm for ETH has been quite dented by yesterday's shenanigans.
    This was the first major test for ETH and the ETH blockchain. And ETH was and its blockchain was found wanting. 300,000 tx's were signalled to the network yesterday,and the system buckled under the load. There is a scaling problem here, fella's, a major one. And worse to come. Raiden is a fair bit off in implementation yet.
    Bitcoin does well over 300,000 tx's daily, and now it will have Segwit, by the look of things, by August 1st.

Yesterday was a bad day for ETH, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

This was the first major test for ETH and the ETH blockchain. And ETH was and its blockchain was found wanting. 300,000 tx's were signalled to the network yesterday,and the system buckled under the load. There is a scaling problem here, fella's, a major one. And worse to come. Raiden is a fair bit off in implementation yet.
    Bitcoin does well over 300,000 tx's daily, and now it will have Segwit, by the look of things, by August 1st.
    I have a better understanding of bitcoin (albeit still acres to learn). Only scratching the surface in terms of ETH (or any other coin).

However, some of these newer contenders have not necessarily faced the same problems as BTC yet. BTC has been out there weathering the storm(s) - whereas others have yet to be fully tested under adverse conditions (and potentially adverse conditions that come about due to as yet unrecognised shortcomings), increased loadings, etc.

Just saying...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Yeah I'd be a bit pessimistic about Ethereum right now. Hope nobody here purchased at $400ish. :eek:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement

I would easily expect Eth to be worth at least 500 before Xmas and several thousand in a few years, if not sooner

BTC has been through worse, had a 2 year bear market. Not to mention just about every problem a crypto can have. Keeps getting bigger.

Dohnjoe

What is the basis for your prophesies for Ethereum?

Is it based on technical/analysis and graphs, or do you have a fundamental reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads what's considered the best cryptocurrency to invest in at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Lads what's considered the best cryptocurrency to invest in at the moment?

I don't know a whole lot about cryptocurrency but I came across a guy called Sam Volkering a few weeks back who has been raving about Ethereum.

Here's one of the articles I received in an email last week. Sam's comparing bitcoin to ethereum.

Unrelated but their techy stuff is actually a really good read, too. https://www.exponentialinvestor.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭seklly

I thought Ethereum has no supply limit, i.e. they can just keep essentially printing money? I'm wondering how the value can continue to rise with no major correction....350x in the last 18 months. Once Ethereum matures and withstands the issues which are sure to come along due to its larger attack surface I'd be more confident I think. Not to mention the current ICO frenzy and scaling issues of it's own. Also, what happens when/if they move to Proof of Stake?

In my opinion there's no comparing it to Bitcoin which has lasted over 8 years of constant attack and is the most mature and secure cryptocurrency on the planet. But maybe that's just me being biased towards what I know.

Anyone who tells you with certainty what the price will be is lying as nobody knows!

nuac wrote: »
    Dohnjoe

What is the basis for your prophesies for Ethereum?

Is it based on technical/analysis and graphs, or do you have a fundamental reason?

Very solid well funded team behind it who are highly active. Promising roadmap. The Ethereum Enterprise Alliance is pretty much the biggest players out there right now https://entethalliance.org/members/ and they are working on private and public solutions - working in the industry (we are developing our own blockchain) I think the private versions will revolutionise financial infrastructure and definitely have an impact on many other industries

The board consists of people from Microsoft, Intel, JP Morgan, Bank of New York.

Yeah there are ICO congestion and other issues, teething problems - but it's a dynamic enough coin, very sure these will get resolved. If nothing dramatic happens to the crypto market as a whole (hacks, regulation, Asia cracking down, etc) then I only see interest in Ethereum growing

• Advertisement

seklly wrote: »
    I thought Ethereum has no supply limit, i.e. they can just keep essentially printing money? I'm wondering how the value can continue to rise with no major correction....350x in the last 18 months. Once Ethereum matures and withstands the issues which are sure to come along due to its larger attack surface I'd be more confident I think. Not to mention the current ICO frenzy and scaling issues of it's own. Also, what happens when/if they move to Proof of Stake?

In my opinion there's no comparing it to Bitcoin which has lasted over 8 years of constant attack and is the most mature and secure cryptocurrency on the planet. But maybe that's just me being biased towards what I know.

Anyone who tells you with certainty what the price will be is lying as nobody knows!

same goes for every commodity, share, equity, fund, currency etc etc etc

When one considers the growing pains that ETH will have to go through (which you've listed as BTC having gone through) is it not remarkable then that the ETH market cap is not far off eclipsing the BTC market cap?

wrt 'keeping essentially printing money' - this is a good read https://blog.ethereum.org/2014/04/10/the-issuance-model-in-ethereum/

not 100% sure of his numbers but there's this
    There is no maximum. 60,102,216 ethers were created during the sale, plus 2x pools of 9.9% each. 26% of 60,102,216 will be created through mining every year. This means that 15,626,576 will be created every year on top of the 60m and the two pools.

After a while, 15,626,576 ether won't represent much of the total ether available, making the system dis-inflationary (i.e., inflation perpetually trending towards 0 but never reaching it).

yeah - was mentioned a few pages back

a few winners but many losers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

lawred2 wrote: »

There are a lot of serious fools out there who don't understand what they are doing. Was reading some of their stories on other forums. I don't think they get what margin trading is and I don't why they were doing it in the first place. I thought that you needed a few million to be even eligible to margin trade.

Some of the stories are a bit laughable, one student lost his whole loan that he had invested in it, another lad had all his honeymoon money in it and was supposed to pay for the honeymoon next week. Wouldn't like to be trying to explain that one to the fiancé :eek:

jester77 wrote: »
    There are a lot of serious fools out there who don't understand what they are doing. Was reading some of their stories on other forums. I don't think they get what margin trading is and I don't why they were doing it in the first place. I thought that you needed a few million to be even eligible to margin trade.

Some of the stories are a bit laughable, one student lost his whole loan that he had invested in it, another lad had all his honeymoon money in it and was supposed to pay for the honeymoon next week. Wouldn't like to be trying to explain that one to the fianceek:

I just happened to catch a couple of posts on Reddit about one person in the US who had inherited a few million from his Uncle and had proceeded to day trade it away. Last I saw was someone referencing a post by the genius of him being down to his last 150K and using it to short Apple. Of course Apple then shot up several percent.

He should have pondered a while why 85% of share trades are by bots and who all those bots must be making money from if you assume they aren't making it off each other, or Buffett. Would just take a look in the mirror to see the answer.

"A fool and his money are soon parted."

• Advertisement

If his grandson is anything to go by, I'm guessing he ran a brothel.

Re Trumps grandfathers occupation

Yes, there have been some broad hints to that effect.

I just happened to catch a couple of posts on Reddit about one person in the US who had inherited a few million from his Uncle and had proceeded to day trade it away. Last I saw was someone referencing a post by the genius of him being down to his last 150K and using it to short Apple. Of course Apple then shot up several percent.

He should have pondered a while why 85% of share trades are by bots and who all those bots must be making money from if you assume they aren't making it off each other, or Buffett. Would just take a look in the mirror to see the answer.

"A fool and his money are soon parted."

I'll never understand why people with millions invest in anything risky. You always see stories of footballers or film stars losing millions in investments.

Anyway Antshares (the ETH of China) rebranded as Neo last night. Still time to buy in before this takes off. Don't confuse it with neo-coins.

They are just under $7 now. Going to take €200 and buy a chunk of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

lawred2 wrote: »

I guess there is nothing to stop the fall down caused by "stop loss orders", like "buy if the price go below X" with some deposited funds to support that?

PrzemoF wrote: »
    I guess there is nothing to stop the fall down caused by "stop loss orders", like "buy if the price go below X" with some deposited funds to support that?

well that's most likely what happened with those lads who picked up thousands of ETH @ 10c...

auto buys @ 10c with either BTC or FIAT

It's maybe even possible those orders could have been set a long time ago and forgotten about.. Unlikely though. That drop smacks of manipulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

I'll never understand why people with millions invest in anything risky. You always see stories of footballers or film stars losing millions in investments.

Anyway Antshares (the ETH of China) rebranded as Neo last night. Still time to buy in before this takes off. Don't confuse it with neo-coins.

They are just under $7 now. Going to take €200 and buy a chunk of them.

Thanks for that, is there any specific place that's best to buy them?

was going to ask the same. Doesn't seem to be on Kraken or Polo.

PrzemoF wrote: »

The issue was that sell orders far outnumbered buy orders. So the sell orders kept dropping trying to out do each other to snap up the buy orders and get out before they lost more money.

The backlog in orders prevented new buys coming in and the stop loss orders just kept going down.

Im using Bittrex. You need bitcoin to trade on it. I've been moving some over in preperation. Just waiting for it to clear. Typical the price has gone from 5.50 to over 7 while ive been waiting !

Personally bought them on Bittrex, seems like a good solid exchange

• Advertisement
Advertisement