Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this a condition, if so whats it called?

• 19-11-2014 11:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

I've been searching to try and see if there is a name for this or not?

An instance where an individual A has dislike/anger towards individual B and over time A unbeknown to themselves targeting all there anger etc. towards individual B regardless if B did anything or not.

For example little things that individual B would do would annoy/anger individual A but if any other individual was to do the same thing individual A wouldn't take any notice of it. Almost like individual A is looking for things to have a go against individual B and it snowballs over time.

Hope I explained it clear enough, thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Could be that the person just dislikes this individual, personality clash etc.

Also, it's possible that it's an example of displacement/projection, or protective identification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

I'm going more along the lines where B has done X in the past and apologised to A but due to the past history A subconsciously is always looking for things to have a go at B or to accuse B of something. Almost like A's anger is focused on B regardless if B is responsible or not it will always come back to B.

The examples you gave above kinda of fit the question but I'm sure I read somewhere before about a specific condition/emotional state.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Labarbapostiza

Look up scapegoating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

dar100 wrote: »
    Could be that the person just dislikes this individual
    That's what it sounds like to me but I'm sure disliking somebody will be an Axis II mental illness on the next edition of the DSM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mountsky

'Resentment'/intensely dislike maybe towards person B

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Bitterness or contempt towards person B. I wouldn't call it a "condition", its just an unpleasant trait that falls well inside the norm for expected human behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ziycon wrote: »
    due to the past history A subconsciously is always looking for things to have a go at B or to accuse B of something.
    Sounds like "Confirmation Bias".

An example of such would be that you hate the colour yellow. You then will ignore all evidence that you are thick, and only look for those who agree with you. You join forums, and read articles that support your belief that the problem is the colour yellow, and ignore anything that goes against your belief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Valmont wrote: »
    That's what it sounds like to me but I'm sure disliking somebody will be an Axis II mental illness on the next edition of the DSM.

LOL! :D

But sadly a grain of truth there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Labarbapostiza

Ziycon wrote: »
    I've been searching to try and see if there is a name for this or not?

An instance where an individual A has dislike/anger towards individual B and over time A unbeknown to themselves targeting all there anger etc. towards individual B regardless if B did anything or not.

You haven't given much to go on. What happens in scapegoating is people project their anger and self loathing onto an innocent party. but sometimes there is a material purpose to this. if it's a work colleague they may feel threatened by you, and they may be setting about getting you fired. In families it can be about family resources. But the scapegoat in families is usually the receptacle for all bad feelings in the family.

Tell us a little more. What kind of things makes A angry? Do they lie, what kind of lies do they tell? Do you notice anything funny with their eyes when they're angry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭NotCominBack

Plain old garden variety "Resentment" based on your description. Look up in dictionary, I believe what you are describing is reliving old hurt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement