Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did he cheat on me

Options
  • 12-10-2014 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi..
    So my boyfriend has an app on his phone for the weather and once you enter the app for about five seconds it shows your last location and the weather there. The place that showed up on his was the area where his ex lives and who I have been feeling paranoid about for some time now. He says it's broken and not to be silly but I know she text him recently, he says he didn't reply and I believed him but now I'm not so sure. I have this app too so I know it's correct and it wouldn't just randomly select a place. Also he would have no need to by pass or drive through this town as it takes effort to get to and would only be there to see her.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

So he says its broken and off all the places it in the country it could have showed it happened to be the place where his ex lives....Im with you OP as I wouldnt buy that explanation either...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

If he did or didn't, it sounds like you can't trust him.
    Not a good sign OP.
    I'd seriously consider where your relationship is going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Colser wrote: »
    So he says its broken and off all the places it in the country it could have showed it happened to be the place where his ex lives....Im with you OP as I wouldnt buy that explanation either...

If the app was installed when he was still with that girl then that area was probably saved as a location or whatever so it would actually make more sense that it picked a commonly used location to show rather than an obscure one. Still don't buy it but its not all that strange for that to be the location an app would mistakenly show up if he only had a couple regular/saved locations.

Just as an aside op, my weather app constantly says I'm twenty mins from where i actually live and that its 53°. Its not impossible for it to be a glitch but it seems very improbable that a glitch would just so happen to involve his ex.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Very simply he had to have been at his ex's location at some point when he had the app for it to pick up on it. If as you say there is no logical reason for him to be at that specific place then he has been there.

It's simply unbelievable that the app is broken and just so happened to pick the location where his ex was. Weather apps use location services to identify where they are so, other than fixing it to a specific location that doesn't change, it appears he was there.

If I were you I'd insist that he is lying and ask why he feels he needs to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Why were you going through his phone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Very simply he had to have been at his ex's location at some point when he had the app for it to pick up on it. If as you say there is no logical reason for him to be at that specific place then he has been there.

It's simply unbelievable that the app is broken and just so happened to pick the location where his ex was. Weather apps use location services to identify where they are so, other than fixing it to a specific location that doesn't change, it appears he was there.

If I were you I'd insist that he is lying and ask why he feels he needs to.

Actually i literally just came on to say to op that after posting earlier now my weather app is showing up as Paris on my phone, I haven't been there in 6 months. Now admittedly I do have it saved as a location to check the weather but i didn't set it to view paris today even by accident, it's just put that on my home screen as its one of my locations so if he did have it set as a location back when he was with the ex I wouldn't be too quick to assume although it is a big coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Why were you going through his phone?

Why would you assume I was going through this phone? He was looking at the weather app beside me and I leaned my head over to check too and I noticed it. He is still denying it anyway so if really don't know where to go from here. We are together 2 years and he only got the phone during the summer so if the location was saved it was when he was still with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Why would you assume I was going through this phone? He was looking at the weather app beside me and I leaned my head over to check too and I noticed it. He is still denying it anyway so if really don't know where to go from here. We are together 2 years and he only got the phone during the summer so if the location was saved it was when he was still with me.

Would it not update to his new location? And how did you know his ex texted him recently?

I think you have trust issues. And if you are looking for evidence to confirm a theory that you have thats not good for either of you

Would it not update to his new location? And how did you know his ex texted him recently?

Because he told me.

I think you have trust issues. And if you are looking for evidence to confirm a theory that you have thats not good for either of you

I never had trust issues with him. I've never had any reason to look at his phone it would never even enter my head to do such a thing. I saw this by chance, I didn't go looking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Hi OP,

Like others I just wanted to post and say that my weather app isn't accurate when it comes to location, either. How far away does his ex live from you and your boyfriend? Would her town be within five or so miles of you? I don't know if you know Dublin, but I live in Clonee and my weather app pulls information from Mulhuddart, which is a few miles away. Also, when I was working in the city centre my location would be set as Smithfield automatically.

Locations aren't always spot on, especially if you have GPS disabled on your phone, which many people do to save battery and data. GPS is a killer for both. Just something to consider before you go down the cheating route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

My phone says Gort as one of my occasions (haven't been to Galways with this phone yet) and also sometimes it tells me a location 10 miles off, its hardly proof of cheating....people love to jump to conclusions and hand out harsh advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

My daughter wanted to know this morning why I was messaging her from Co Clare - haven't been there for 2 weeks but phone says I am now! If that's your only reason for suspecting him OP its very thin!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

These location apps can get it wrong all the time, ranging from a few miles away to a different county altogether.

BUT it's odd that his glitch just so happened to pick up where his ex lives, out of all the places within a 10 mile radius or out of all the counties in Ireland. I take it since you mentioned he would have no reason to drive through or pass there at all other than to see her, it's not close to where you live, either.

If it IS a genuine GPS error, it's unfortunate for him that his phone just so happened to pick her exact location "randomly".

On this occasion you'll probably have to take his word for it being a glitch and let it go unless something further piques your suspicions. If he insists he wasn't there, take him at his word and put it to the back of your mind. You say you'd been paranoid about her for a while... is this just because she texted him? How did you find out about that? Did he mention it himself? If so, then he's being open and you have little to worry about.

The general advice here whenever anyone questions their other half's activity on apps/messengers/mobiles is "HOW DARE YOU LOOK AT THEIR PHONE YOU MUST TRUST THEM IMPLICITLY OR EVERYTHING IS BROKEN".

In reality few people stroll through life with implicit trust in anyone else (especially if they've been caught out or hurt in the past), so don't feel bad for momentarily wondering about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭maria34

Well my weather app doesnt get locations wrong. Sure it doesnt show the same location and it might be some small place near you, but if his ex lives that far away then id be worried too. Someone was talking about texting, its a different app tho!
    Who else is living there in the same area? Maybe he went to see someone else? But why he didnt tell you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

If you are basing this purely on his weather app location then you need to sit down and re-evaluate the relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Mine shows weather as Perth, Australia - I was there at Christmas. I live in Blanchardstown!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 namelessone

going through a similar situation myself right now and dont want to be making any accusations so im gathering my evidence (if there is any lol) all I have so far is that when he's in her town (the ex) hes hard to get hold of on the phone.. and may not ring back til the following day.
    my plan is to get a good look at his phone.. wgich is what id suggest you do ;-) say nothing tho!!! you cant have him know this. then you have to be clever if you find there is something going on... you have to catch them out ;-) best of luck ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

going through a similar situation myself right now and dont want to be making any accusations so im gathering my evidence (if there is any lol) all I have so far is that when he's in her town (the ex) hes hard to get hold of on the phone.. and may not ring back til the following day.
    my plan is to get a good look at his phone.. wgich is what id suggest you do ;-) say nothing tho!!! you cant have him know this. then you have to be clever if you find there is something going on... you have to catch them out ;-) best of luck ;-)

Unless you're dating some kind of moron, even if he is cheating he'll just erase anything incriminating right away, have a second phone, or be using one of the couple of dozen apps that hide that kind of thing from prying eyes. But... maybe he's a moron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

That isn't evidence of cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

My god just save yourself the hassle and break up instead of going to those lengths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭maniac2003

JeffKenna wrote: »
    My god just save yourself the hassle and break up instead of going to those lengths.

well said Jeff "right back" at ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

The worst advice I have seen on this form in a long time.
    Winks and all... It's like a game of cat and mouse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

It's not a game. Just dump him if you don't trust him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

He might have had the "location" service switched off on his phone to conserve power and it stayed at the last location. Eitherways you don't seem to trust your boyfriend so you should think seriously about whether you want to continue this relationship.

My girlfriend checked her phone in front of me this morning, and her location was her workplace, not my gaff.

I suppose it is possible that he was in his exes area. But I still wouldn't call it proof.

We are together 2 years and he only got the phone during the summer so if the location was saved it was when he was still with me.

It may be a new phone but he most likely transferred everything (contacts etc) from his old phone. I moved to the UK 3 years ago, I've had two phones since moving over but I copied all my apps and contacts over from my Irish phone so every time I turn maps on it it starts at my parents house in Ireland.

It may be a new phone but he most likely transferred everything (contacts etc) from his old phone. I moved to the UK 3 years ago, I've had two phones since moving over but I copied all my apps and contacts over from my Irish phone so every time I turn maps on it it starts at my parents house in Ireland.

That's because of your Google settings, not your phone.

Saipanne wrote: »
    That's because of your Google settings, not your phone.

Point is still the same in relation to the thread, how long he's had the phone doesn't prove or disprove anything.

Point is still the same in relation to the thread, how long he's had the phone doesn't prove or disprove anything.

No. Your point relates to your Google settings. It will be the same on any device you use, tablet, phone, pc. So long as you are logged into Google, it will think you are located at your parents as default. This can be changed easily.

This weather app might be different. It might fail to update location if the data is turned off, like my girlfriends phone this morning. She probably switched the location switch off at work, so the phone still thought she was there. So it is possible that this bloke was in his exes area recently, on the same basis.

I don't think the age of the phone matters either. But I doubt the phone is doing what Google maps does on yours.

• Advertisement
Advertisement