Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat 3 assault

Options
  • 24-10-2010 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

hi

my younger brother was assaulted last night in a club by 3 bouncers, he met the gaurds after he has beaten, they told him to make a statement today, so he went to the station and they took pictures of his cuts and bruises, they are going to check the cctv for an account of what happened, but they mentioned they would be charging the 3 bouncers with cat 3 assault, im just wondering what exactly is a cat 3 assault.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I am pretty sure they would have said they may be charging the doormen. Hope you brother gets better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

they said if the tape shows what my brother is claiming then the will be seeking to charge the bouncers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Cheers that sounds right.

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Cheers that sounds right.

sorry the wording of my post was misleading
    what is a cat 3 assault? if charges are to go ahead

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

the first step is to make the written statement of complaint, the gardai will interview witnesses and obtain any evidence like CCTV etc. The bouncers can be arrested for assault causing harm (section 3) and detained for questioning in relation to the incident, a file will go to the DPP and hopefully the DPP will direct that there is enough evidence to charge people. The case could be heard in the District Court or circuit court depending on how serious it is or if the defendants decide to opt for a jury trial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭crow_eat_crow

Probably section 3 assault, as in section 3 of the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act, 1997.

Bosco boy wrote: »
    the first step is to make the written statement of complaint, the gardai will interview witnesses and obtain any evidence like CCTV etc. The bouncers can be arrested for assault causing harm (section 3) and detained for questioning in relation to the incident, a file will go to the DPP and hopefully the DPP will direct that there is enough evidence to charge people. The case could be heard in the District Court or circuit court depending on how serious it is or if the defendants decide to opt for a jury trial.

yea the statement has been taken now, the gaurd must contact the company in charge of the cctv and get the stills of the assault, i assume if they think there is enough evidence to press ahead with the charges they will, the gaurd was outside the nightclub, and questioned the bouncers straight away, they made claims of my brother fighting etc, but the cctv footage will tell all.

thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

jap gt wrote: »
    hi

my younger brother was assaulted last night in a club by 3 bouncers, he met the gaurds after he has beaten, they told him to make a statement today, so he went to the station and they took pictures of his cuts and bruises, they are going to check the cctv for an account of what happened, but they mentioned they would be charging the 3 bouncers with cat 3 assault, im just wondering what exactly is a cat 3 assault.

thanks
    http://tinyurl.com/35rh8ja

got the info needed can one of the mods lock it up please

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Gladly.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement