Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whiskey recommendations please?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

L1011 wrote: »
    A US state with no sales tax and the price being 20% higher, not "around the same price"

You don't seem to understand the meaning of "often" along with other logic problems

I don't see the point in continuing to try explain this to you.

Fine with me. We can just agree to disagree.

By the way Oregon has the second highest alcohol duty in the US. at $22 dollars a gallon versus $2.40 a gallon in Texas.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

syklops wrote: »

How does she justify selling Rarest Vintage Reserve for €400 here and just $250 in the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's not exactly an example of a connoisseurs choice, but I find Bushmills Black Bush to be an exceptionally solid whiskey if you take it's price and availability into account. It costs half the price, at least, of many of the whiskies you'll read mention of here, and I don't really know if that means they are really twice as good as Black Bush . It's a good introduction to whiskey that you can sip relaxingly on and without breaking the bank.

I'd find myself agreeing with lot of the usual suspects that have been mentioned here. Redbreast - Solid. Powers John Lane - Quite nice. Yellow Spot - Complicated; I bought a bottle after reading about it constantly. It's nowhere near a bad whiskey, but I wasn't as blown away as I was expecting to be. I'd be slightly wary of this one. Like I said - Not bad, just perhaps slightly overrated, but you may love it, so who knows. I've also drank a few Jamesons of varying types, which I've always found to be underwhelming, but I live in hope. It's a bit odd because of all the mass market whiskey I think Jameson is the most easily drank.... After Black Bush of course.

The whiskey that's given me the most non extortionate pleasure overall is probably Bushmills 16 year old. I love that stuff. Smooth and choclately. Nice to sip; very easy to guzzle.

I think the OP said that the upper echelons of his budget was around the 100 quid mark. If you were willing to be ultra brave you could chance the extra fifty quid for a bottle of Middleton. Owing to the fact that I am not a multi-millionaire, it isn't something I drink a lot of, but whenever I can - Ah yeah.... Like velvet and the finish just lasts and lasts.

100 is a big psychological and financial barrier to break - I never have - but if you have bigger balls than me and you really want to push the boat out - Middleton.

I wouldn't have drank as much Scotch, but that something I'm looking to rectify as time goes on. I went all in initially and bought a Laphroaig 10. At first I couldn't get over the sheer peatyness of it. Very distinctive taste. It felt like I was drinking distilled turf. My mind decided it wasn't for me and it went into the press for a while to gather dust. But Laphroaig was the whisky that wouldn't die. Slowly, I found myself having a little bit here and there and it really does grow on you after a while. I actually now most enjoy the aspect of it that I found most repellent in the beginning. That might be some sort of definition of love I guess. I think if you get over the opening shock of -what's this crap? - then you're on your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Arghus, do you think Middleton is twice as goodas Yellow Spot?.?

I find it odd that you talk about overrated whiskies and then recommend Middleton.
    I think it's a very nice whiskey but way, way overpriced and overrated. And don'tget me started on Barry Crockett Legacy!

Brockagh wrote: »
    How does she justify selling Rarest Vintage Reserve for €400 here and just $250 in the US?

Who is charging 400 for it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Black Bush definitely needs more pushing - until such point as they think about putting the price up!

Allegedly about 7 year old, the previous version of the Bushmills site claimed it was either 70 or 80% malt.

In its price range, if you want Irish only Crested Ten comes close. I don't think there's a comparable Scotch for the price and I'd be more of a Scotch drinker at that. Permanent resident of the cupboard here, sometimes with spare(s) if its been on good offer.

Thats the Celtic Whiskey Shop. One of the msot expensive places in Dublin to buy whiskey.

Lagavulin 16 is a great whisky. not sure what is costs in Ireland these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

Sheep Dip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭allroad

I found Yellow Spot to be a little disappointing. Midleton similarly disappointing, although smoother than Yellow Spot.
    Green Spot, Redbreast and Black Bush are very nice, with Green Spot having the edge, for me.
    Bushmills 10 is one of the nicest whiskies on the market, considering the price.
    Can't abide any of the Scotch stuff, especially the peaty island distilled varieties.
    Each to his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Flood wrote: »
    Sheep Dip

sheep dip is quite poisonous, i wouldnt recommend it.

Dont need to spend too much to get some decent whiskey.

Greenspot is excellent, a little spicy but also quite smooth, lots of flavour at a little over 50 quid.

Jameson Black barrel reserve is just beautiful, very very smooth, lots of toffee flavour with a little bit of citrus and a bite at the end. less than 48 quid in dunnes, 33ish quid in duty free.

Most recently, jameson caskmates (aged in stout barrels) is beautiful, similar to black barrel but the whiskey tastes a bit sharper, and very chocolat'y, with a definite hint of stout at the end. Less than 40 quid, a total bargain. nab it while you can get it.

Powers john lane signature is good, or even better, the signature 12 year old. both similar but the 12 year is just a little more mellow. john lane is just under 50 quid, 12 year is just over 60 quid.

And if your able to handle perfection, lagavulin 16 is 80 euros and worth every cent.

Tons of great whiskeys out there that dont cost a fortune, and youre not afraid to enjoy the bottle due to the cost.

Regarding middleton bottlings, delicious, but not worth the cost IMO. As mentioned already something like bushmills 16 will hit the spot at a much lower price.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Posts deleted. Let's start again. No more mention of poison. Thanks.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Call me a heathen, but I like my whiskey sweet. Some favourites:

Tullamore Dew Single Malt 10: smooth and surprisingly sweet.

Connemara: fruity, nicely peated without being overpowering.

I wasn't a huge fan of Japanese whiskies while actually in Japan, but I recently took a chance on Yamazaki's Distiller's Reserve and was pleasantly surprised. Smooth with a strong cherry nose.

All well within your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Arghus, do you think Middleton is twice as goodas Yellow Spot?.?

I find it odd that you talk about overrated whiskies and then recommend Middleton.
    I think it's a very nice whiskey but way, way overpriced and overrated. And don'tget me started on Barry Crockett Legacy!

I didn't say anywhere in my post that I thought Middleton was twice as good as Yellow Spot.

I did say that I thought Black Bush wasn't, strictly speaking, half good as whiskeys that were twice it's price, but that was mainly to argue in favour of the relative strength of Black Bush. That doesn't mean that I think the comparison of - "this whiskey is twice as good as this other whiskey, because of the price" is valid on every occasion. It can be, sometimes.

I was a bit harsh on Yellow Spot, I think I said it was "not bad". I really should have said: it's a good whiskey. I would have no problem drinking it 90% of the time; but there are other whiskeys that I'd like to drink all the time. I just find that Yellow Spot is one of the whiskeys that you always read about in threads like this and it's the only one I've bought- out of any in the similar price range- that I found underwhelming, considering what I heard about it previously. And, in my honest, fallible and, totally subjective opinion makes me think it's a bit overrated.

As for Middleton -Is it overrated? Yeah, probably. It does cost an arm and a leg, but, honestly, I've always really enjoyed drinking it. I think it tastes great. And that's what I've taken away from it every time - That I really like it as a whiskey. Maybe it is overrated, it's definitely overpriced, but I do love it. I most definitely prefer it to Yellow Spot. Is it twice as good? Oh I don't know... maybe..... perhaps. I've enjoyed it more. I'll say that for sure.

I suppose really we just be thankful that there's such variety out there that we can argue about these matters of personal taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭jackrussell007

so from what i can see from the diverse recommendations, whiskey like anything else i suppose, all down to personal preference.

anyway i went out to O briens offie at the weekend, I was tempted by Teelings single grain and also Redbreast and Greenspot but in the end I went all in and and got a bottle of Yellow Spot.

So I had a glass or two at the weekend, having another one as i type. My impressions are that I'm liking it, loving it even...but...to my unrefined, whiskey newbie taste buds, I'm not reeeally overawed in any way by it. I'd love to have a glass of bushmills here now as well so i could compare the taste. Having never bought one of these more premium end whiskeys I was unsure of what to expect, I was expecting it to be smoother for some reason. It is smooth, and quite delicious but to be honest it could be a 30euro bottle and i wouldnt know the difference. sacligious maybe... wasted on me...probably. At least now my curiosity has been satisfied. I'll probably buy another cheaper bottle in a couple of weeks, something to be supping away on, the yellowspot will be taken out on occasion. I suppose thats the way to grow a whiskey collection anyway, rather than just skulling each bottle as you buy them.

having another sup here, it is lovely, undoubtedly, but so was the bushmills. I'm not sure yellow spot is twice or three times nicer . Maybe I'll get the bushmills 10 next seeing as many of ye recommend it..
    anyway. cheers for all the recommendations. I learned a lot reading.
    Sláinte

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

so from what i can see from the diverse recommendations, whiskey like anything else i suppose, all down to personal preference.

anyway i went out to O briens offie at the weekend, I was tempted by Teelings single grain and also Redbreast and Greenspot but in the end I went all in and got a bottle of Yellow Spot.

having another sup here, it is lovely, undoubtedly, but so was the bushmills. I'm not sure yellow spot is twice or three times nicer . Maybe I'll get the bushmills 10 next seeing as many of ye recommend it..
    anyway. cheers for all the recommendations. I learned a lot reading.
    Sláinte

Glad you went with the Yellow Spot tbh. Maybe you might have to develop a palate to distinguish between and appreciate different flavours of various whiskey's. Everybody is different and the more whiskey's you try the more you'll notice the subtle differences. I've even heard from people that they prefer Green Spot to Yellow Spot even thought it's a cheaper whiskey.

It's not necessarily about the price attached to a particular whiskey but the flavours that compliment your individual palate. Speaking of Bushmills, I think Black Bush is a fantastic whiskey, equal in many respects to a lot of the more expensive niche whiskey's, and it's usually available for only €25 in Tesco, O'Brien's, etc.

Irish whiskey's have inflated in price in recent years as well, what with the increase in demand for Irish whiskey around the world so price isn't necessarily a measure of the quality.

I'm tempted to whet my whistle with a dram of Yellow Spot what with all this whiskey talk. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

You need to stop thinking in twice / 3 times / 4 times nicer.
    It's like anything else once you reach a certain price point your paying the big money for the smallest differences in nuances complexity etc.

like wine if you put a 100e bottle of wine in front of a 10e bottle of wine drinker the chances are most of that bottle will be lost on them and in the end would probably prefer the 10e bottle. a 100e bottle of wine is not ten times nicer than the 10e bottle it probably has one or two elements better "connected" that to someone who drinks a lot of 100e bottles of wine will enjoy.

Also like wine so many things will effect the whiskey, wear it's stored the glass your drinking from your mood the temperature the room your in. how you hold the glass are you adding water? ice..etc etc

If you're going to put a lot of money and time into this you should go to an irish whiskey meet or get someone who can show you how to taste whiskey so you can start to smell and taste the things your paying for.

or maybe for now don't open the bottle with any sort of expectations, just sit back and enjoy it. maybe buy a few cheap bottles in lidl and aldi and get a taste for it then move on to paddy/jameson etc find a cheaper way to the type of whiskeys you enjoy the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

limnam wrote: »

or maybe for now don't open the bottle with any sort of expectations, just sit back and enjoy it. maybe buy a few cheap bottles in lidl and aldi and get a taste for it then move on to paddy/jameson etc find a cheaper way to the type of whiskeys you enjoy the most.

id disagree with this a little. Im in no way an expert, but even as a novice i can easily taste the difference between standard stuff in an optic in a bar, and a nice bottle like green spot or jameson black barrell.

Some of the cheaper stuff isnt even particularly nice and could stop someone sticking with it and really getting to know how to enjoy a nice whiskey.

If everyone on the whiskey and beer fora adopted this philosophy there would be way less arguments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    id disagree with this a little. Im in no way an expert, but even as a novice i can easily taste the difference between standard stuff in an optic in a bar, and a nice bottle like green spot or jameson black barrell.

Some of the cheaper stuff isnt even particularly nice and could stop someone sticking with it and really getting to know how to enjoy a nice whiskey.

I don't know, plain Jameson is one of the nicest whiskeys I've ever tasted.
    In fact I'm not sure i ever met a bottle of whiskey that didn't have something I liked in it.

It's a cheap way to build up some experience in tasting and builds reference points.

syklops wrote: »
    Thats the Celtic Whiskey Shop. One of the msot expensive places in Dublin to buy whiskey.

400 euro was the release price in Ireland. I linked to the Celtic Whiskey Shop because it was the only place I knew it was available. If you know where in Ireland it is available for less, fair enough. I would be quite surprised if it is available anywhere here for close to the US price.

The price has been reduced recently in some of the big online retailers, presumably because it wasn't selling.

The Celtic Whiskey Shop may be a little more expensive for some whiskeys compared to larger chains, but it has whiskeys that no other shop will have. And they are cheaper than many other shops for whiskies like Bowmore, GlenDronach, BenRiach, Glenglassagh...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Celtic Whiskey Store are doing a tasting of Midleton Very Rare 2015 from 4pm today if anyone is in the area.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Celtic Whiskey Store are doing a tasting of Midleton Very Rare 2015 from 4pm today if anyone is in the area.

As in a free tasting? oooooOOOOooooh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

allroad wrote: »
    I found Yellow Spot to be a little disappointing. Midleton similarly disappointing, although smoother than Yellow Spot.
    Green Spot, Redbreast and Black Bush are very nice, with Green Spot having the edge, for me.
    Bushmills 10 is one of the nicest whiskies on the market, considering the price.
    Can't abide any of the Scotch stuff, especially the peaty island distilled varieties.
    Each to his own.

This. Midleton is ludicrously over priced for what is really a very ordinary drink.

Redbreast 12 is fantastic stuff.

Laphroaig has to be experienced at least once. To me, Ardbeg is a smoky, slightly fruity flavour, Lagavulin is smoke with some sweetness but Laphroaig is full on peat smoky medicinal goodness.

Talisker is available in most good pubs and it's one of my all time favourites. Not as smoky as the Islays but it has some real character.

lizzyman wrote: »
    This. Midleton is ludicrously over priced for what is really a very ordinary drink.

Redbreast 12 is fantastic stuff.

Laphroaig has to be experienced at least once. To me, Ardbeg is a smoky, slightly fruity flavour, Lagavulin is smoke with some sweetness but Laphroaig is full on peat smoky medicinal goodness.

Talisker is available in most good pubs and it's one of my all time favourites. Not as smoky as the Islays but it has some real character.

I think "ordinary" is pushing it a bit, but that's a matter of taste, of course.

Ledaig (Tobermory) is another one if you're after something peaty. And Longrow can be superb.

Bunnahabhain also do some peated stuff... I just got delivery of 23 bottles of cask strength peated Bunna which is very good.

Bunnahabhain also do some peated stuff... I just got delivery of 23 bottles of cask strength peated Bunna which is very good.

Is anyone else invited to the party?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

I've been to the Dingle Whisky bar a few times on Nassau St. The Redbreast 12 Year Old Cask Strength is really good! Must pick up a bottle at some point!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

OmegaRed wrote: »
    I've been to the Dingle Whisky bar a few times on Nassau St. The Redbreast 12 Year Old Cask Strength is really good! Must pick up a bottle at some point!

Bought my mate a bottle for his 30th. It's nice, certainly nicer than the regular 12, but I'm not sure it's worth the money unless you can get it duty free. The 15 better value fur that kind PhD money in my opinion.

Next time you're going through Dublin airport, grab yourself a bottle of Irishman Founders reserve. About 19 duty free and think it was about 30 duty paid. Was delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

I think "ordinary" is pushing it a bit, but that's a matter of taste, of course.

I work with a girl who reckons her boyfriend is a real whisky connoisseur because he only drinks Midleton and coke. Normally I'd be horrified but I find the Midleton so bland that I couldn't even feign outrage when I heard that.
    Ledaig (Tobermory) is another one if you're after something peaty. And Longrow can be superb.

That I will definitely check out. Is it anything like Talisker? I love that combination of island-y sea salt and peat.

I'm not sure whether that deserves respect, or an intervention ;)

Advertisement