Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growler fill stations:Supervalue

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Dr Emmett Brown, Hill Valley, California.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

BeerNut wrote: »
    Not if there's live yeast in the beer there isn't.

PEGAS don't recommend that you keep beer in their growlers for longer than 30 days. Without finding out what the same beer in an unpurged growler tastes like after 30 days there's no case for saying one method is better than the other. Unless you're a PEGAS shareholder, obvs.

The empty growler had a approx 20% o2 before the fill

jh79 wrote: »
    The empty growler had a approx 20% o2 before the fill
    Yes, I am aware of that. But that's not relevant to how any beer actually tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

Yes, I am aware of that. But that's not relevant to how any beer actually tastes.

Yes it is the carbonation will affect the flavor more so in lower alcohol beers and IPAs.
    Yes there will be some Yeats left in the beer but no wear near enough to recondtion your beer .
    If there was enough yeast present you would then need more sugar.

Tell you what go get 2 swing top bottels of beer open 1 for a few mins recap it leave it 2 days and open both beers and have a tasts come back and tell me which is better tasting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

finatron wrote: »
    Tell you what go get 2 swing top bottels of beer open 1 for a few mins recap it leave it 2 days and open both beers and have a tasts come back and tell me which is better tasting

I've actually done this and to me there's a noticeable difference.

But from what I can remember it was beer dependent. Some are fine but others are noticeably flat and dull.

• Advertisement

finatron wrote: »
    no wear near enough to recondtion your beer
    Recondition? No: it'll consume the oxygen, though. This whole conversation about beer longevity comes down to how much oxygen is in the growler, doesn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Beer will taste better and last longer with co2. Ask any homebrewer who has to get bottles into a comp that is 4 weeks down the line.

You're just pouring beer directly from a keg into a growler so of course it won't last as long.

RasTa wrote: »
    of course
    Of course. Not a single trace of a sniff of a shred of real evidence. Not a sensory test nor a competition feedback sheet nor a story about that growler my third cousin's neighbour had which was pure cardboard after a week. Nothing but blind faith in theory.

C'mon, growler fans: let's have some stories about the growler beers you tasted which had gone off. I don't believe any beer in a growler has ever gone off. Prove me wrong with something other than theory. Please.

Of course. Not a single trace of a sniff of a shred of real evidence. Not a sensory test nor a competition feedback sheet nor a story about that growler my third cousin's neighbour had which was pure cardboard after a week. Nothing but blind faith in theory.

C'mon, growler fans: let's have some stories about the growler beers you tasted which had gone off. I don't believe any beer in a growler has ever gone off. Prove me wrong with something other than theory. Please.

Ah yeah they just purge it with co2 for the hell out of, I mean no need really. Oxidisation isn't an issue at all.
    Brewers tend to hate them. Growlers are basically beer destroyers. They’re often unsanitary, and the refilling process mixes in a lot of oxygen–the tiniest amount of oxygen kills beer so quickly.- Garrett Oliver

Do the experiment yourself if you're that concerned about it.

Ah yeah they just purge it with co2 for the hell out of
    Or a guy sitting at a bar watching a growler being filled with a hose reckoned he could monetise that better. You'd need to scare people away from the hose, of course...
    Do the experiment yourself if you're that concerned about it.
    Hose-filled growler beer has always tasted fine to me. And it's tasted fine to everyone who thinks purged growlers are better, right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Hosed filled just takes longer and has slightly more potential for wastage.

I've got fills from Sweetman's, Mulligan's and the GBB bars as well as from Baggot Street wines and I've never noticed any difference...

Or a guy sitting at a bar watching a growler being filled with a hose reckoned he could monetise that better. You'd need to scare people away from the hose, of course...

Well any head brewer would say beer only lasts 2 or 3 days max in a growler from a bar. Not hard to find this info

It's the same way cans of beer are filled. I thought you would know this

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

If CO2 is heavier than O2, wouldn't the act of filling with a hose displace all the O2, especially if CO2 is escaping from the beer as it's being poured?

Well any head brewer would say beer only lasts 2 or 3 days max in a growler from a bar. Not hard to find this info
    That's not "info".

That's not "info".

What is it then? What exactly do you need to hear?

"I had a growler of x. I kept it for y days and it went all cardboardy/sour/bland, presumably because the growler had not been flushed with CO2 before filling."

Something along those lines: an actual story about The Hose Problem, rather than theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

"I had a growler of x. I kept it for y days and it went all cardboardy/sour/bland, presumably because the growler had not been flushed with CO2 before filling."

Something along those lines: an actual story about The Hose Problem, rather than theory.

I used to live in Portland and growlers at as common there as bacon and cabbage is here. There are a few buisness that just do growler fills, there is one dedicted buisness called hawtorne and It has 48 taps! The general consensus was drink your growler within two days of getting it filled. The better places will purge the growler first, if you dont then all your beer gets exposed to o2 as the beer fills and swirls. The say oxygenation kills hop aroma pretty quickly.

Yep, it's certainly a common perception. But has anyone checked if it's true or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Yep, it's certainly a common perception. But has anyone checked if it's true or not?

Have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Not with a growler, but here is some useless information. When bottling beer there is always one at the end that gets a load of bubbles down the bottling stick. I always mark that bottle with an x and so I remember to drink it second. After conditioning for 3 weeks that bottle always tastes way more dank dank.

That has no relevance to this as 3 weeks is way too long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I gave one a page or two back. 2 growlers, same beer, one opened a couple of days previously, reopened on the same day the other first was since bottled. There was a noticeable difference in taste with that particular beer between the 2.

Not G.R wrote: »
    Have you?
    I've drank beer that was in a hose-filled growler for three weeks and it was in perfect condition.
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    I gave one a page or two back. 2 growlers, same beer, one opened a couple of days previously, reopened on the same day the other first was since bottled. There was a noticeable difference in taste with that particular beer between the 2.
    That doesn't tell us anything about flushed vs. hose-filled, though.

Why would I bother waiting 3 weeks when the theory(it's not even theory) is from people who I'd believe before some random person on the internet like yourself?

You've being told why the flushed method is better as it's the same as how they fill beer cans and bottles in the factory's
    The bottles may then be rinsed with filtered water or air, and may have carbon dioxide injected into them in attempt to reduce the level of oxygen within the bottle

Same as a purged growler right? What part of oxidisation via a tap don't you understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

I've drank beer that was in a hose-filled growler for three weeks and it was in perfect condition.

That doesn't really tell us anything. Did you use a control. Perfect condition compared to what?Was it a beer you were familiar with.

Tbh I've no real swing either was as any growler I've gotten has been gone within a day or two

It would be interesting to see some actual tests on this.

Why would I bother waiting 3 weeks when the theory(it's not even theory) is from people who I'd believe before some random person on the internet like yourself?
    No reason at all. I'm just wondering if anyone has any actual proof that hose-filled growler beer goes off faster than CO2-flushed. That's all.
    That doesn't really tell us anything.
    Not even a suggestion that maybe hose-filled growler beer perhaps doesn't go off as fast as is normally claimed?
    Did you use a control. Perfect condition compared to what?Was it a beer you were familiar with.
    It was a beer I am familiar with. It tasted exactly like a freshly-poured pint.
    Tbh I've no real swing either was as any growler I've gotten has been gone within a day or two
    I'd say most people are the same, which is why I'm wondering why the superiority of CO2 flushing keeps being repeated when it might make no difference to anyone's beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭billythefish99

It was a beer I am familiar with. It tasted exactly like a freshly-poured pint.
    Hah, youve changed your tune

I have? I think I stand by my opinions there, even if I was wrong about growlers in the off licence being a non-starter. And I'm glad I was wrong: I've never got a growler filled in an off licence and have no plans to do so, but it's great to have the choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Counter-pressure systems may further reduce filling waste; however counter-pressure filled growlers will not necessarily have a longer shelf-life.
    http://www.draughtquality.org/wp-content/uploads/The-Facts-About-Growlers-v1.pdf

Light definitely causes degradation to hop flavour and heat & oxygen definitely degrade the hops at least as raw material

In the states I visited many established growler stations, none of them used the CO2 method. I would never buy a growler unless I was going to drink all of it within 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

The more growler stations, the better. Less empty bottles to haul around and a wider selection of beer.

Of course there is a cultural difference but just like in craft beer in general there is a shift happening everywhere. American style hoppy beers made in Ireland were still absent three years ago due to cultural issues but now I'd rather drink a local one than a world class hyped one from the states.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

snowblind wrote: »
    The more growler stations, the better. Less empty bottles to haul around and a wider selection of beer.

Also good for quality, kegs are generally store cold at the station

Advertisement