Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons stock issues

Options
  • 22-04-2015 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

What's the story with Wetherspoons ridiculous stockage problems? Love the place so far, but they seem to be out of stock of most of their beer selection ridiculously often.

Is it just proving more popular than they anticipated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

The three tun or the 40ft?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

the Forty Foot is notorious for it at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It was indeed the Forty Foot I was referring to. Don't get me wrong, they still always have enough nice beers to have a great night there, but the menu is almost entirely redundant when they never have anything that's advertised on it :D I usually just go up to the bar and ask what they'd recommend for someone who'd usually drink <insert out of stock draught>.

Anyone know why this is an issue though? And in fact, is it a problem with the other Wetherspoon bars or have they just underestimated how popular Dun Laoghaire would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭omicron

I don't know about the forty foot but I was in a few different spoons in London over the weekend, and a lot of them had the same issues. Also I noticed on some of the menus it had some of the beers grouped together in 3's or 4's and small print underneath saying that at least one of the above in stock at any given time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

omicron wrote: »
    I don't know about the forty foot but I was in a few different spoons in London over the weekend, and a lot of them had the same issues. Also I noticed on some of the menus it had some of the beers grouped together in 3's or 4's and small print underneath saying that at least one of the above in stock at any given time.

That's the cask beers. They promise to have either Abbots, Doom Bar or London Pride on at all times. Stock in Derry is always fine excusing the odd time when there isn't much cask on but that's normally rectified within a day or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

In Dun Laoghaire it's the various Adnam's beers which are usually out of stock. Are these epic enough to warrant such a regular run on the taps? :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Well, the way it usually goes is, something doesn't get stocked, then it's out of stock for few weeks because the stock manage forgets to re-order it and then it's usually cancelled for good because "nobody was buying it". This is a universal retail law. In Ireland the added problem is that no-one will ever ask "do you have XYZ" if it's not out in the open, because you know the guy you ask will just go out back, have a fag and come back "sorry, not in stock". That is why shops never have anything unusual in stock because "nobody was asking for it". of course, because it's pointless! So something either is deleted from stock or never ordered in the first place for the above reasons. This is why Irish pubs only have three beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Mynamehere

I was in four non wetherspoon pubs here in London over the weekend. The lack of stock in an English pubs no matter what chain is always a problem while drinking in the UK. Pubs in Ireland are always well stocked. Theres always reserve kegs in storage and the bar men change them very quickly. English pubs just put a pint glass over the tap. I was in 4 different (Non Wetherspoons) pubs over the weekend and all pubs were out of stock for 2/3 different beers.

This lack of stock in Wetherspoons in Ireland is just part of the UK pub system which hasnt changed with the move to Ireland. Pubs in Ireland are simply better run and always have enough kegs just in case. This doesnt happen in the UK (or Wetherspoon in Ireland) so if they run out tough luck until the next delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

@Mynamehere

The fact that Irish pubs don't run out of certain beers more likely comes from the fact that the vast majority don't do cask ale, which can only be kept a very short time before it goes off.

Kegs can be stocked for ages, so it's very easy (if space allows) to have a few extra kegs sitting in the cellar, knowing they'll get used whatever happens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Lucena wrote: »
    @Mynamehere

The fact that Irish pubs don't run out of certain beers more likely comes from the fact that the vast majority don't do cask ale, which can only be kept a very short time before it goes off.

Kegs can be stocked for ages, so it's very easy (if space allows) to have a few extra kegs sitting in the cellar, knowing they'll get used whatever happens.

That is the one advantage of drinking industrially produced beers with chemical preservatives that are so popular in Ireland (B+C+H), they will keep till the next ice age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Mynamehere

Well last weekend in London the 4 London pubs i visited were out of either Peroni and Kronenborg which are not cask ales. This is regular over here with pint glasses over the beer, lager and Guinness taps no matter where you are. I rarely if ever see that in the pubs in Ireland with the exception of some nightclubs.

The English are used to this and know no better which is why its not a problem over here. This is why wetherspoons in Ireland have poor stock management and the Irish identify the problem and is why its becoming a problem for Wetherspoons in Dublin. (The Irish are not used to seeing sold out on taps. I found it strange when I moved to the UK first I couldnt understand why they didnt change the keg to keep their customers happy)

Not an ale drinker nor are anyone I know. Always considered it an English drink which didnt really exist in Ireland with the rare exceptions something you would see when visiting the UK or see on Coronation street. Surely wetherspoons in Ireland having loads of taps of cask ale which goes off quickly would be a bad idea considering very few Irish drinkers drink the stuff compared to our English friends in the UK who love the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Mynamehere wrote: »

Not an ale drinker nor are anyone I know. Always considered it an English drink which didnt really exist in Ireland with the rare exceptions something you would see when visiting the UK or see on Coronation street. Surely wetherspoons in Ireland having loads of taps of cask ale which goes off quickly would be a bad idea considering very few Irish drinkers drink the stuff compared to our English friends in the UK who love the stuff.

The are a number of pubs in Dublin serving cask ale, the porterhouse has been doing so for nearly 20 years.

There is always the option to serve not only Thursday to Sunday
    or to use a cask breather to prolonged the beer.

Before 1964 all irish draught beer was cask, gravity or handpull. The 2 pour Guniness pour is based on dublin cask served stout.

Advertisement