Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

charlie and the chocolate factory review at ign

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

should be great, i've been looking forward to this one for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭shuushh

the trailers have me feeling a little cautious about it but ill be going to see it once it comes out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

goin go see the midnight screening tonight, bring on that Elfman score!!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    goin go see the midnight screening tonight, bring on that Elfman score!!!
    I demand a review afterwards or else you're banned :D

ahh power abuse...

slight problem...my laptop broke (the screen is 100% fuxored) so i wont have a review until tomarrow at some point when i com over to the lib to write it up...

• Advertisement

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    slight problem...my laptop broke (the screen is 100% fuxored) so i wont have a review until tomarrow at some point when i com over to the lib to write it up...
    Well I'll give you a 24 hour window before selecting "Ban this user!" then :p Seriously though, let us know if it's any good if you can. Be interested in your opinion, assuming you know the original.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

If this film is a success do you think they'll do Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

If this film is a success do you think they'll do Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator?
    I'd be surprised if they didn't or at least use large elements of the book in a sequel. As you probably know the plans were vaguely in place to do it as a sequel to the original (or at least David Seltzer had a list of ideas) but these were abandoned due to Roald Dahl not being happy with changes between his book and the first movie and refusing the rights. And with CGI having rather advanced in the past thirty years, we might get to see some proper vermicious knids. Which'd be nice. Given that Depp has apparently happily moved into sequel-land (two more Pirates of the Caribbean movies on the way) he might be happy to do it all over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Easily_Irritated

Mmmmmmm johnny depp :D

And if they do that, will they do Charlie and the White House*?

*A little story I wrote when I was about 6 or 7 years old as a sequel to 'Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

When's it out?

Roar wrote:
    When's it out?
    29th of July. 2 weeks only - yay :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

ixoy wrote:
    29th of July. 2 weeks only - yay :D

Happy days...

cant wait for this..

Right...review will be up in a few minutes...so ixoy dont ban me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Out of respect for the timeless classic i will not watch some poxy money making rip-off even if it's done by burton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I will watch it esp if it is truer to the book then the first film.
    Yes we all grew up with it, yes Gene wilder was wonderfully sad
    but is not the char from the book at all.
    still looking forward to Mr Deep's preformance.

d22ontour wrote:
    Out of respect for the timeless classic i will not watch some poxy money making rip-off even if it's done by burton.

the fact that the original in Dahl's opinion took a nice big dump all over his book, i would think out of respect you wouldnt watch that, but hey its the cool thing to jump on the lets hate remakes bandwagon.

let me make this simple

its not a remake of another film

its an adaptation of a famous book.

therefore if you refuse to watch this film, have a genuine reason. Like *oh i dont know* be blunt and say you think it looks rubbish, dont try and justify it with a *oh respecting a great clasic piece of film* Just be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

You would be hard to find any film that resembles the book that spawned it so for the author to rubbish the film would hardly be surprising.I found the original film to be excellent so there is no need for me to justify a remake that is solely based on money-making just like the original film intentions probably were.Are all remakes done to do justice to books if indeed that is what they are based on ? Not at all they are made for one purpose and that is to make money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Its been a while since ive seen the Gene Wilder film. Could someone recap how the film differs from the book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

d22ontour wrote:
    You would be hard to find any film that resembles the book that spawned it so for the author to rubbish the film would hardly be surprising.I found the original film to be excellent so there is no need for me to justify a remake that is solely based on money-making just like the original film intentions probably were.Are all remakes done to do justice to books if indeed that is what they are based on ? Not at all they are made for one purpose and that is to make money.
    One last time, for the slow... ITS NOT A ****ING REMAKE!!

• Advertisement

lets make this simple.

is Baz Leurman's Romeo and Juliet a remkae of the earlier movie made about the same play?

Is Roman Polanski's Macbeth a remake of Akira Kurasawa's Macbeth (under a different title though)?

think about it...

Advertisement