Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why BUY films?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Yeah I tend to keep my favourites bunched together too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Wheely

I gotta say, im also like that, whenever i get bored i rearrange them in different orders, kinda like John CUsacks character in High Fidelity. They're alphabetical at the mo, but they've also been genre ordered, or else like by director or actor or something!! I do watch them over and over tho and as for people who cant understand why to but them.....c'mon some people collect coins and stamps...and pay a lot more for them i might add....can you honestly look at a stamp for two hours and thouroghly enjoy it, pt it away and take it out again in a couple months and do it again and notice something new and all that? Can yuo do it with a coin? or like cards and stuff...ill excuse comic books cos u can but there's my rebuttal of why bother buying dvds argument. Its just something i collect and i get a ot more use out of it than some other "collectables"!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I keep my DVD films in alphabetical order
    and TV boxsets/music DVDs in alphabetical order on separate shelves

same for VHS originals

VHS off TV are in random order due to the fact that I have so many and usually have two films on each tape.

Vinyl is alphabetical by genre with CDs just A - Z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Wheely

Yeah same here, I'm missing 20+ dvds and havent a clue where they gone.

Its gotten to the stage I need to make a logbook for who borrows what :(

I started that but it just got messed up and crap. Now what i do is I have all my dvd's on imdb (nerd alert) and whenever anyone borrows one i create a new little category and coppy it in there.....its pretty handy...ja know what I hate. When people rob movies and u have to buy them again. And its always the best ones they take! I lived on campus for the last 2 years and once it got out that i had like 200 dvds my place became like a video store. Id say iv bought taxi driver/bronx tale at least twice and Carlitos way about three times. I currently have none in my position!!! B**tards!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

i bought carlitos way there yesterday for 5 euros in dun laughaire

i gotta get taxi saw it in town for 6 euros .. !!!

• Advertisement

There's nothing wrong with being organised.

Obviously for some people, being disorganised and laidback is a fashion statement. Maaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnn.

But I'd rather be a nerd than a hippy. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I keep mine sorted by colour. It looks better that way. All the white ones together, then the few grey ones, then the black ones (although there are so many black ones that they take up more than one shelf) etc. The box sets are all seperate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

I never buy Dvd's

the only exception in my life happened last year when I bought City of men (tv series) as I knmew itwould never be shown again on Tv and I missed the whole series on bbc4 I was also unable to download it.

Mostly I rent Dvds for free using vouchers from pigsback.com and copy them with Dvd SHrink.

I have watched city of god 3 times and Fight CLub twice and about 200 movies once.

maaaaaaaan i should of tried pigsback.com years ago when it first came out

you see that **** everywhere now
    maybe i should check it out

you organise by colour?.. thats original :D

who said being lazy and laid back was a fasion statement?

yeah its excellent just keep signing up again and again, get loads of stuff.

• Advertisement

i doubt ill like it i hate all those type of websites

but hey im there so il check out

thanks for the tip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I dont think most ppl appreciate movies, but this board is full of those who do and not representitive of the population at large, but hey - these are the ppl you're asking.

I do unerstnd why a lot of ppl cant see the point in rewatching movies: you know whats going to happen. You also know the words to you're favourite song, but hearing them "moves you" in some way. For those who appreciate films a certain way the effect never wears off.

When I rewtch films I constantly see things in a new / different light. When I hear certain lines I feel angry, sad, happy. The comedies dont hold too well for me, but Shindlers List. I will never stop being moved by the images in that film.

However, all that being said, Im a pirate. I dont pay for that many DVDs. Its not just the because I can attitude, its obscene what actors get paid. But that I suppose is a debate for another day.

and a bloody good debate it is too man

you brought up a good point

how much do musicans actually get paid ?.. like whats the whole break down?

and that goes for Actors too ..

Its the Music shops who loose out not the artists with INTERNET PIRACY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Can we stay on topic please.

I never buy Dvd's

the only exception in my life happened last year when I bought City of men (tv series) as I knmew itwould never be shown again on Tv and I missed the whole series on bbc4 I was also unable to download it.

Mostly I rent Dvds for free using vouchers from pigsback.com and copy them with Dvd SHrink.

I have watched city of god 3 times and Fight CLub twice and about 200 movies once.

`why the repeat post?

`why the repeat post?

oh sorry did'nt mean that.

HAH!.. uh ok lol?

Sandals wrote:
    I never buy Dvd's

Is City of Men worth a purchase?
    Saw one episode on BBC4 and was impressed.

How much did you get it for?

• Advertisement

15.99 on play.com absolutely excellent series.
    I'l pm u.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

i love buying dvds.. i've over 150, been collecting for about 3 years.. i bought my first dvd (Taxi Driver) before i had a dvd player, just to remind me to buy one.. love going to town , browsing for a few hours, then coming home to wacth it.. bought the complete Black Books last week, and thats kept me hooked since..

i rarely rent dvds, much prefer to buy them

heh i currently now got 131 !

"love going to town , browsing for a few hours, then coming home to wacth it"

its the best! .. speaccially in HMV on graftons street or in music City in Bray
    Music city have a great collection

heh the last few dvds iv bought recently are

buffalo 66
    Remains of the day
    The graduate
    The Truman Show
    Road trip
    Sleepers
    Forrest Gump
    Seven
    Happiness
    Julien donkey boy
    Gummo
    Deliverance
    Spaceballs

yes u say thats allotta movies but there all cheap

i watched Buffalo 66 last night i deffo recommend that movie to anyone whose a fan of christina Ricci

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I bought 6 DVDs today

Blue Steel
    Young Guns
    The Killing Fields
    Twelve Monkeys
    Tennesse Valley (for the missus)
    Amos and Andrew (for the missus)

I know they are not first runs but some are quality movies well worth a look.
    O yeah, I paid 1.99 Euros each for them. Cheaper than a rental even if I only watch them once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Look, the only answer to "Why buy DVDs" is simple. Phallic Re-inforcement via collection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Its almost as cheap to buy a movie on DVD over the internet as to take the bus to the video store and back, and back again the next day.

where did u buy blue steel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Geant, La Foux.
    Sorry but I'm in France. See details under Avatar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Look, the only answer to "Why buy DVDs" is simple. Phallic Re-inforcement via collection.

I have to compensate :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

koneko wrote:
    I have to compensate :(

Trust me, you don't need to compensate for anything. ;)

Advertisement