Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fourth Generation HIV test

Options
  • 10-05-2015 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Can anybody please tell me if you get tested after 5 weeks with this test and it is been send to the VRL lab (UCD) in Dublin how accurate would you say the results are if its comes back negative?

I have all symptoms that ARS has the acute HIV phase and I am very very worried.

PS: I have done another same HIV test on the 28 of April I am collecting these results next week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Why not go to a clinic? GMHS baggot street is free, walk in, doesn't take long, 99.9% accurate results within a week. Also, I was in the same position as you. Just always remember that HIV is a hard thing to catch and you more than likely don't have it no matter what you did. Thats not to say you're definitely free of it, but even if you had unprotected sex with a HIV pos person the chances are still fairly slim that you actually caught it off him like 1 in 200 I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Sickworried

wakka12 wrote: »
    Why not go to a clinic? GMHS baggot street is free, walk in, doesn't take long, 99.9% accurate results within a week. Also, I was in the same position as you. Just always remember that HIV is a hard thing to catch and you more than likely don't have it no matter what you did. Thats not to say you're definitely free of it, but even if you had unprotected sex with a HIV pos person the chances are still fairly slim that you actually caught it off him like 1 in 200 I believe

Wakka12 I think this guy was in an acute HIV phase and maybe then its far more easier to catch as the viral load is very high that time and I am just very worried as I go collect my results next week in St James so I will then know for definite if I am HIV positive.

But thinking back I am very sure that I am positive now and he was probably also in the window period himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Wakka12 I think this guy was in an acute HIV phase and maybe then its far more easier to catch as the viral load is very high that time and I am just very worried as I go collect my results next week in St James so I will then know for definite if I am HIV positive.

But thinking back I am very sure that I am positive now and he was probably also in the window period himself.

Ok, but still. Don't worry, that only makes things worse. HIV is not a bad disease, you get free meds and only have to remember to take them once a day. You'll live a long life even if you have it so just don't worry about it. Not much about your life will change if you do have it

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Sickworried

wakka12 wrote: »
    Ok, but still. Don't worry, that only makes things worse. HIV is not a bad disease, you get free meds and only have to remember to take them once a day. You'll live a long life even if you have it so just don't worry about it. Not much about your life will change if you do have it

That's not completely true Wakka12 many things do change with this Virus.

Did you have a look on the net what they all have written about?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

OP I know you are worried but sorry we don't allow medical advice to be given out here

I know this is stressful and that is understandable. You should go to see or keep in contact with your doctor. Perhaps your doctor can reccomend if HIV-suppressants are advised. We can't do that here.

As I've just been informed, it is only the 6-month test that is definitive, due to incubation times.

Best of luck OP but honestly it is best you get doctors advice and not get it from the internet.

I hope things go well for you

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement