Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum Trans Name Issue

Options
  • 30-04-2015 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey I only just realised I am still registered in my old name as I have not been around to vote for a few years I thought this would be changed when I updated all my other government stuff but must have had to be done separate and never realised it till now, what do I need to do to vote under my legal name or is it too late for me to vote?

I am guessing I can't just register for the supplementary register.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,871 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Maybe ring TENI and ask

www.teni.ie

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Maybe ring TENI and ask

They don't know much about changing registered details, was hoping someone that worked for the yes campaign that knew about getting people registered had an answer but I guess I left it too late, I though the government would update all those details.

Oh well was just going to be a good ally and help but it doesn't really effect me and should pass anyway. Guess I will cancel the flight as if the yes campaign doesn't know I doubt it will be fixable in time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

As far as I'm aware, you have until the 5th to register to vote. So I think today would be your last opportunity to change your details so you can vote in the up and coming referendum.

Itzy wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, you have until the 5th to register to vote. So I think today would be your last opportunity to change your details so you can vote in the up and coming referendum.

I am home for the long weekend to my parents then back to England tuesday morning, was hoping to sort it yesterday or today.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It would have had to be updated manually, we've yet to have a single system for this ridiculously.

You do not need photo ID to vote so if you have the polling card - acceptable ID alongside the polling card can be a bank card and a phone bill or similar so if you have some recent-ish documents with your old name and current address (That bit is quite important, on one item at least) you should be OK. Its only in the absence of the polling card that you absolutely require photo ID.

Otherwise you will probably have to go in person with your form to the local council offices on Tuesday unfortunately.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    It would have had to be updated manually, we've yet to have a single system for this ridiculously.

You do not need photo ID to vote so if you have the polling card - acceptable ID alongside the polling card can be a bank card and a phone bill or similar so if you have some recent-ish documents with your old name and current address (That bit is quite important, on one item at least) you should be OK. Its only in the absence of the polling card that you absolutely require photo ID.

Otherwise you will probably have to go in person with your form to the local council offices on Tuesday unfortunately.

Probably won't have time Tuesday before my flight was going to do it yesterday or today if I had the info (pity it takes so long for anonymous posts to show). Not going to embarrass myself in the polling station trying to explain the name thing the bills would be a few years old anyway.

A few of us booked of that weekend to meet up, I was the one that pushed to Ireland so we could vote but
    I guess their option of Amsterdam might win now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 alttrans

I have replied a few times in this thread but for some reason the mods decided to not approve the posts, I didn't want to create and alt account in case my main got banned or use my main case people treat trans posters different as seen by the mods just approving one post and posting ring teni who are not the ones running the yes campaign so have not read up on registering.

Well good job I am flying back to England on tuesday morning and as the one post that had helpfull info came so late cause the mods aprroved the first post 12hrs later then just posted with contact a trans organisation fob off and none of my later post got aprroved so I didn't get to register. Itzy I can't just go on the supplement register as it a change of details not a new one.

L1011 yours was the info I needed but as the mods aprroved the first of late and with a fob off and never approved the others it came to late.

Well it has cost the yes campaign seven votes as I was the one the was driving for the holiday in Lahinch so we could vote and still have our meetup holiday, I was trying to be a good ally as the vote doesn't effect me but now we will go to Amsterdam for our booked off week. Sure it's pretty much in the bag so the seven votes won't matter but it's still seven votes cause the lgbt board still fobs off trans posters.

If you see the way this board treats it's trans posters you can understand why I don't want my main account to be know I am trans.

I am fulltime for years I am not going to dress up as man bind my breasts use my deadname to vote that was not a viable plan and an awful thing to suggest a trans woman do.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

alttrans wrote: »
    I am fulltime for years I am not going to dress up as man bind my breasts use my deadname to vote that was not a viable plan and an awful thing to suggest a trans woman do.

I wasn't suggesting anything of the sort. I don't know what the names are or the likelyhood of a polling officer making a scene if they felt a name didn't "match" - but I can tell you that it'd be very unlikely. Once someone has sufficient proof of address all they can do is ask the attending Garda for their opinion.

Polling stations open at 7am - if they're going to have time to vote before going to Lahinch they're likely to have time to vote before going to the Airport. The suggestion of asking TENI was entirely valid as they would have experience of others having to change their voter registration in the past - Yes Equality on the other hand wouldn't have been any help at all as it is not something in their remit. TENI have existed for many years and many, many elections/referenda - we have one a year more or less.

I wasn't suggesting anything of the sort. I don't know what the names are or the likelyhood of a polling officer making a scene if they felt a name didn't "match" - but I can tell you that it'd be very unlikely. Once someone has sufficient proof of address all they can do is ask the attending Garda for their opinion.

So if I went with a male card that doesn't have my legal name and doesn't match my current gender and no ID to match they would allow me to vote. What's to stop sisters voting for brothers that are away?

All my bank bills and stuff is in my current legal name. But anyway going in with my deadname would be very triggering to use again and would require explaining which I would not feel comfortable doing in a public voting area with people waiting behind me.

• Advertisement

There wasn't a deliberate decision from the mods to censor you or to fob you off!!!!!!!!
    The mods are volunteers and didnt see your posts immediately!!
    We are not 24 hours 7 days a week online!!!!!!!

I genuinely thought TENI might help. Sorry that they couldn't.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

So if I went with a male card that doesn't have my legal name and doesn't match my current gender and no ID to match they would allow me to vote. What's to stop sisters voting for brothers that are away?

Very little, realistically, once they can get the other non-photo IDs accepted. We don't have Voter ID requirements like the US and realistically I'm glad we don't as they are often used as a way to ensure that the "right sort" of people vote and the "wrong sort" (non-Republicans more or less) can't
    But anyway going in with my deadname would be very triggering to use again and would require explaining which I would not feel comfortable doing in a public voting area with people waiting behind me.

Fair enough - didn't think of it that way.

Council offices on Tuesday are the only option now. Supplementary register is open for all reasons, not just a change of details. You'd need to get your RFA form stamped by a Garda station over the weekend. However, as they're unlikely to be open before 10 that's probably out depending on flight times.

If you're in Dublin, registering post at the GPO which is open til 5 today should have it there in time but it won't be guaranteed. Registering costs €6.

Very little, realistically, once they can get the other non-photo IDs accepted. We don't have Voter ID requirements like the US and realistically I'm glad we don't as they are often used as a way to ensure that the "right sort" of people vote and the "wrong sort" (non-Republicans more or less) can't

Fair enough - didn't think of it that way.

Council offices on Tuesday are the only option now. Supplementary register is open for all reasons, not just a change of details. You'd need to get your RFA form stamped by a Garda station over the weekend. However, as they're unlikely to be open before 10 that's probably out depending on flight times.

If you're in Dublin, registering post at the GPO which is open til 5 today should have it there in time but it won't be guaranteed. Registering costs €6.

Yeah I could have done it all yesterday if my posts got approved

There wasn't a deliberate decision ftom the mods to censor you!!!!!!!!
    The mods are volunteers and didnt see your posts immediately!!
    We are not 24 hours 7 days a week online!!!!!!!

I genuinely thought TENI might help. Sorry that they couldn't.

I created this alt account after all yesterdays posts where not approved even tough you had been online and posting, I found it weird you where active yesterday but they where still pending this morning.

I have trust issues with this board as I was around 7 years ago when the debates for excluding T from the name and forums where pushed by the mods.

I have trust issues with this board as I was around 7 years ago when the debates for excluding T from the name and forums where pushed by the mods.

There was a completely different set of mods 7 years ago.

If you have the time today, and I was in your situation, I'd at least try the registered post option - you can track the post and then call them on Wednesday to see if it was accepted.

There was a completely different set of mods 7 years ago.

If you have the time today, and I was in your situation, I'd at least try the registered post option - you can track the post and then call them on Wednesday to see if it was accepted.

A lot of the users that wanted to keep the T and the users off the LGB board still post here though.

Booked the flights and apartments for Amsterdam last night, I was the one pushing to stay in Ireland so we could vote my friends where indifferent but would prefer Amsterdam when I said I coundn't vote it made the decision to go there their first choice. Will change the details so I vote in the election next year though At some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I have replied a few times in this thread but for some reason the mods decided to not approve the posts, I didn't want to create and alt account in case my main got banned or use my main case people treat trans posters different as seen by the mods just approving one post and posting ring teni who are not the ones running the yes campaign so have not read up on registering.

Well good job I am flying back to England on tuesday morning and as the one post that had helpfull info came so late cause the mods aprroved the first post 12hrs later then just posted with contact a trans organisation fob off and none of my later post got aprroved so I didn't get to register. Itzy I can't just go on the supplement register as it a change of details not a new one.

L1011 yours was the info I needed but as the mods aprroved the first of late and with a fob off and never approved the others it came to late.

Well it has cost the yes campaign seven votes as I was the one the was driving for the holiday in Lahinch so we could vote and still have our meetup holiday, I was trying to be a good ally as the vote doesn't effect me but now we will go to Amsterdam for our booked off week. Sure it's pretty much in the bag so the seven votes won't matter but it's still seven votes cause the lgbt board still fobs off trans posters.

If you see the way this board treats it's trans posters you can understand why I don't want my main account to be know I am trans.
    What on earth? Have you come here looking for help or just to vent what is clearly a grudge against users here? I've never seen someone here act so passive-aggressively towards posters who are trying to point you into the right direction. It's starting to become clear you don't really want help with this issue but rather find a medium to attack.

And as I thought alt account banned for re-reg real one didn't get caught, mods don't aprrove trans anonymous posts and they never ban alt gay users when they create an alt account to post.

But trans users alts get banned quick and if they are forced to use the anonymous posting the mods don't post them, I fukky expect this won't see the light of day

Alt trans wrote: »
    And as I thought alt account banned for re-reg real one didn't get caught, mods don't aprrove trans anonymous posts and they never ban alt gay users when they create an alt account to post.

But trans users alts get banned quick and if they are forced to use the anonymous posting the mods don't post them, I fukky expect this won't see the light of day

Not true. Anyway I won't be approving your posts anymore as you only want to insult the mods for a fight 7 years ago.

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement