Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollywood remake of Oldboy??

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

If hollywood didn't remake films we wouldn't have scarface. That one film makes up for every bad remake ever.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Cactus Col wrote:
    If hollywood didn't remake films we wouldn't have scarface. That one film makes up for every bad remake ever.

Well, there's that, Carpenter's The Thing, the 1978 version of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers....doesn't stop a lot of remakes being poo though. But it's not an absolute thing - a decent director, actor or even producer can make a remake worthy in its own right, just as the lack of these things can doom them.

Personally, I don't see them doing Oldboy any favours; but I'd absolutely love to be proved wrong. Considering what a good film it was, it shouldn't be too hard to do at least a competent remake - however, as has already been pointed out it remains to be seen whether the US version will shy away from the more controversial plot points and scenes from the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

yeah, totally, hollywood used to make great movies back in the day,
    point is they dont anymore, and havn't for quite some time now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Cactus Col wrote:

Thats completely different. Nobody has problems with remakes like that. Why a lot of people are pissed off because of the Oldboy remake, is that there was 50 years between the original and remake of Scarface but only 3 between the original and remake of Oldboy. Thats pissing all over the original. Its complete disrespect. A film like Scarface, and King Kong, they were great films for their time, and will always be remembered, but a remake of them 40+ years after they came out adding a more modern take on the story or because of better technology is very worthwhile and will always be in homage to the original.

This is NOT the case with Oldboy, its a fine film in Korea and in every other county. Theres no need for an americanised remake. Or any remake, for a couple of decades at least.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I have a friend who used to write off subtitled movies - I forced her to sit through the motorcycle diaries and now she wants more..

"show an ignorant friend a subtitled movie today!"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

nadir wrote:
    the japs and koreans should start doing remakes of american films, that would be funny.

tman wrote:
    pearl harbour tbh :p

rofl :D...OldBoy was awesome...i hope they dont do it.

also Scarface imo was useless so no lets not thank people for that remake...Oceans 11 was one of the best remakes in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

had the fun of watching a group of american teenagers trying to sit through Battle Royale last night...

the problem they seem to have with subtitles was that they didnt feel any emotion to them, they kept reading them outloud in this deadpan voice and then looked at each other confused...i spent the night sitting at the back screaming out *BEAT TAKASHI* or *TAKASHI CASTLE!* everytime the big man appeared (esp at ending :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Kazaanova wrote:
    Thats pissing all over the original. Its complete disrespect.
    This isn't the first one of these threads I've followed, and I'm sure it's not going to be the last. And each time, my problem remains the same: why are you, a fan, getting so indignant about the 'disrespect' being shown to a film when the filmmakers themselves sold the rights to these remakes to the Hollywood studios? Surely if anyone should be getting upset about their film being "pissed all over", it should be those people?

Of course, you could say that the buckets of money that was probably thrown at them is enough to keep them happy - but I personally think that's a remarkably blinkered attitude.

And let's remember that remakes do not take away from the original in any way. So there's no reason to get so upset about all this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

ObeyGiant wrote:
    And let's remember that remakes do not take away from the original in any way. So there's no reason to get so upset about all this.
    Thats pretty wrong. Not in all cases of course, which is why I never care about video game adaptations or remakes normally. But with the remake of Oldboy, the surprise ending/twist will be given away.

Giving the twist away will take a LOT away from the original. The original had a certain impact upon first viewing, and first viewing only. The original of course was a brilliant film, well acted, directed etc. but its not fair that the American remake will spoil, and I really mean spoil, a good bit of the original. Because the original is one of those classic twist, kick in the balls, type movies. And I'll say it again, the remake will ruin a lot of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

It isn't wise to taunt someone who has dominion over your posts, lest you suddenly come out of the closet on the wrong board, proclaiming your love for Freddy Prince Jnr.
    think I hit a sore spot.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement