Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What did you do to prepare today?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

silentrust wrote: »
    Sounds ideal, hope you can share your plans sometime.

I did. There is a thread full of pictures and explanations.
    its about a year old now but a search should pop it quickly in this forum

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Only a small thing, but I cleaned and oiled my swiss army knife. It's better than new. God I love that tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Brought the kids to the woods yesterday and made a leanto :)

Khannie wrote: »
    Only a small thing, but I cleaned and oiled my swiss army knife. It's better than new. God I love that tool.

Yeah, its a great thing to do. I keep using mine on copper wires, then regretting it cause of the dull blade. Been getting good practice sharpening it though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭silentrust

mawk wrote: »
    Yeah, its a great thing to do. I keep using mine on copper wires, then regretting it cause of the dull blade. Been getting good practice sharpening it though!

Would you say this is better than a multitool like a Leatherman? I have a cheap and nasty Leatherman knock off I picked up in Hong Kong but maybe it's better to buy quality? Cheap and nasty multitools could be useful for trading purposes come the collapse mind... :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Would you say this is better than a multitool like a Leatherman?

I think of them as being very different.

Swiss army knife is a knife with tools and a Leatherman is a multitool with a knife blade.

I find the SAK carries in the pocket better and the tools I want are on one specific model and to get the same tools on a leatherman I'd need to get one of the larger heavier models so its really what suits you.

I bet there are a few here with both or more than one of each :D

Iv replaced my sak backpacker as my edc with my leatherman surge! I wear a suit to work and have it in its leather pouch sideways on my belt so its not in the way and i dont find it bulky. I just like the leatherman more tbh and the surge is very much a knife with one handed outside opening, not like your usual multitool

SAK Cyber Tool is always in my back right hand trousers pocket.

If you think I'm scratching my bum as I sit down I'm not really I'm just checking the knife is upright and to the far right of the pocket so I don't sit on it :)

Carried the same knife everyday for more than 10 years. Mainly carried for the screwdriver which is first class. Its had lots of abuse and due a replacement as I recently lost 3 of the screwdriver bits which is a good enough excuse to buy a new one. You can get spares but I lost the mini screwdriver ages back, the handles are glued back on the pen has given up and the main blades have been much abused.

I did try a belt pouch but that became a pain because I regularly use a rucksack with a waist belt and the belt pouch was a bit awkward.

eirator wrote: »
    SAK Cyber Tool is always in my back right hand trousers pocket.

If you think I'm scratching my bum as I sit down I'm not really I'm just checking the knife is upright and to the far right of the pocket so I don't sit on it :)

Carried the same knife everyday for more than 10 years. Mainly carried for the screwdriver which is first class. Its had lots of abuse and due a replacement as I recently lost 3 of the screwdriver bits which is a good enough excuse to buy a new one. You can get spares but I lost the mini screwdriver ages back, the handles are glued back on the pen has given up and the main blades have been much abused.

I did try a belt pouch but that became a pain because I regularly use a rucksack with a waist belt and the belt pouch was a bit awkward.

Just done a quick Google and it sounds ideal. Where does the law stand in Ireland re: carrying pointed blades on your person? That's what's put me off from carrying my multitool around in the past.

Just done a quick Google and it sounds ideal. Where does the law stand in Ireland re: carrying pointed blades on your person? That's what's put me off from carrying my multitool around in the past.

Dont be acting the bollox and you will have no problems ;)

• Advertisement

aaakev wrote: »
    Dont be acting the bollox and you will have no problems ;)

Yes I would hope none of us would whip it out and start waving it under people's noses! :-D

Just one point with the Swiss Army Cyber Tool (pun not originally intended) you need to be careful when you put the screwdriver bits in the holder, one way around and they can drop out very easily. Now they are locked under the folding screw driver shaft when the knife is closed up but once you are using the screwdriver its possible for them to drop out. If you place them in the holder so the very small spring loaded ball bearing holds on the thick part of the housing they stay in much better.

Where does the law stand in Ireland re: carrying pointed blades on your person?

Unambiguous - it is an offence to do so.

Just one point with the Swiss Army Cyber Tool (pun not originally intended) you need to be careful when you put the screwdriver bits in the holder, one way around and they can drop out very easily. Now they are locked under the folding screw driver shaft when the knife is closed up but once you are using the screwdriver its possible for them to drop out. If you place them in the holder so the very small spring loaded ball bearing holds on the thick part of the housing they stay in much better.

Thanks eirator,

My own survival strategy centres around staying put, harvesting rainwater, growing food and so on but I can understand the comfort you must gain from having this close by.

Given the tendency of the attachments to go wandering though, do you not think it would be better to place it into your bug out bag though? Perhaps less convenient to carry around but at least you would have some peace of mind viz screwdriver attachments.

Unambiguous - it is an offence to do so.

Perhaps another reason to keep a knife in your bug out kit and stow it in your car. I imagine your Garda would take less exception to this over someone holstering it to our waist Crocodile Dundee style?

Perhaps another reason to keep a knife in your bug out kit and stow it in your car. I imagine your Garda would take less exception to this over someone holstering it to our waist Crocodile Dundee style?

I have regular encounters with the guards and only one commented on my leatherman only last week, he asked which one it was and pulled out his to compare.

Really though my personal opinion is if your not doing anything to draw attention to yourself or acting the mick you will have no problems. If your the type of guy who is going to have it out showing off or messing all the time you will find yourself being asked questions but im assuming we are all responsable adults round these parts :rolleyes: :)

Thanks eirator,

My own survival strategy centres around staying put, harvesting rainwater, growing food and so on but I can understand the comfort you must gain from having this close by.

Given the tendency of the attachments to go wandering though, do you not think it would be better to place it into your bug out bag though? Perhaps less convenient to carry around but at least you would have some peace of mind viz screwdriver attachments.

As I said I've been carrying the same knife for over 10 years and I use it at least once a day. This morning I used the knife blade as a marking knife for some woodworking (saved comming back in to get a pen) and this afternoon I used the cross head screwdriver to take an old modem card out of a computer. I couldn't do that if it was in a BOB, but then a BOB is a good excuse for buying yet another knife or a multitool just in case :D

The attachments dropping out is something I noticed over 10 years ago and only lost one which I replaced so I don't think its a major flaw, I've now gone 10 years before loosing anymore.

If regularly use particular items, like screwdrivers, small scissors, bottle openers, cork screws, tweezers etc then find a multitool or SAK that has those items on it and carry it with you all the time. I know a few women that really like the little Swiss Army Credit Card gadgets because they find scissors, tweezers and nail file really handy.

I tend to put the cheaper items like Lidl/Aldi multitools to make up BOBs and when finances allow replace them with better quality items.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

I recently lost 3 of the screwdriver bits which is a good enough excuse to buy a new one. You can get spares but I lost the mini screwdriver ages back, the handles are glued back on the pen has given up and the main blades have been much abused.

http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Victorinox-Knives/Accessories/c-1-199-330/

Just order the bits you need lad. I love SAKs and usually have a "Climber" one on me (with the screwdriver in the corkscrew, from my cyber tool). The cyber tool is big, so lives on my desk near the computer bits.
    The Leatherman Ti. is a big yoke as well, but handy out in the woods or for a bit of DIY in the garden. The Victorinox tool is a big heavy bit of kit, but is excellent if a bit large and heavy.

http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Victorinox-Knives/c-1-92-199/

and there are the Wenger's!
    http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Wenger-Knives/c-1-92-202/

and the Leatherman's

http://www.heinnie.com/Pocket-Tools/Leatherman-Pocket-Tools/c-1-94-222/

Just looking and Heinnies have the Alox. Electrician and Deluxe Tinker...

im assuming we are all responsable adults round these parts

Speak for yourself....I'm a total delinquent. :D

Speak for yourself....I'm a total delinquent. :D

The :rolleyes: in my post was directed at myself ;)

• Advertisement

As I said I've been carrying the same knife for over 10 years and I use it at least once a day. This morning I used the knife blade as a marking knife for some woodworking (saved comming back in to get a pen) and this afternoon I used the cross head screwdriver to take an old modem card out of a computer. I couldn't do that if it was in a BOB, but then a BOB is a good excuse for buying yet another knife or a multitool just in case :D

The attachments dropping out is something I noticed over 10 years ago and only lost one which I replaced so I don't think its a major flaw, I've now gone 10 years before loosing anymore.

If regularly use particular items, like screwdrivers, small scissors, bottle openers, cork screws, tweezers etc then find a multitool or SAK that has those items on it and carry it with you all the time. I know a few women that really like the little Swiss Army Credit Card gadgets because they find scissors, tweezers and nail file really handy.

I tend to put the cheaper items like Lidl/Aldi multitools to make up BOBs and when finances allow replace them with better quality items.

Thanks Eirator, words to live by - astonishing to think that something so small could have so much importance attached to it. (My girlfriend tells me this often...!)

Returning to sanity for a moment, like you I try to harvest Aldi and eBay for cheap alternatives to big name brands although I found recently when purchasing Gardening tools from "Dealz" here in Dublin that you very much get what you pay for as the wintry Leinster earth bent a small fork and trowel beyond recognition within the first few minutes.

I don't mind paying extra for my personal tool but it might be an idea to get a few cheap and cheerful ones by way of backup as you say or even to trade if the SHTF and you find someone else willing and able to barter with you.

http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Victorinox-Knives/Accessories/c-1-199-330/

Just order the bits you need lad. I love SAKs and usually have a "Climber" one on me (with the screwdriver in the corkscrew, from my cyber tool). The cyber tool is big, so lives on my desk near the computer bits.
    The Leatherman Ti. is a big yoke as well, but handy out in the woods or for a bit of DIY in the garden. The Victorinox tool is a big heavy bit of kit, but is excellent if a bit large and heavy.

http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Victorinox-Knives/c-1-92-199/

and there are the Wenger's!
    http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Wenger-Knives/c-1-92-202/

and the Leatherman's

http://www.heinnie.com/Pocket-Tools/Leatherman-Pocket-Tools/c-1-94-222/

Just looking and Heinnies have the Alox. Electrician and Deluxe Tinker...

Very illuminating Deise, many thanks.

Just had a peek at the Victorinox - do you think this has a real advantage over regular hand tools. I have my eye on a regular tool kit to go in the "man cave" (shed) but perhaps if space is an issue this might be more nifty?

Just had a peek at the Victorinox - do you think this has a real advantage over regular hand tools. I have my eye on a regular tool kit to go in the "man cave" (shed) but perhaps if space is an issue this might be more nifty?

It has two big plus's IMO:

1) Fits in your pocket
    2) Build quality is superb

Is it only me or does anybody else avoid saw blades on pocket knives?

Here's what I mean, a pocket knife with or without tools is something I will buy and use over a very long period but I have found even the best saw blades on pocket knives are easily damaged and I can't see the point of carrying around a knife where some of the attachments are useless.

On the other hand I think as a survival item packed away in a BOB where its not in daily use a knife with a saw blade is an excellent idea (although I just throw a cheap Lidl/Aldi type folding saw into the bob as its a better tool for sawing). So what I'm saying is for that one time you need a saw blade in an emergency a SAK with saw blade is great but as an everyday carry I'd avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

I'm so excited that I can finally post here!

I got a first aid kit today for the car. It was only a tenner but it seems to have anything you could ever need in an emergency- even one of those mask things for CPR, and the scissors with the flat bit for cutting fabric. I'm going to add a blanket and a towel and I'll be ready for anything! :)

Yup, can't go forgetting your towel

Cliona99 wrote: »
    I'm so excited that I can finally post here!

I got a first aid kit today for the car. It was only a tenner but it seems to have anything you could ever need in an emergency- even one of those mask things for CPR, and the scissors with the flat bit for cutting fabric. I'm going to add a blanket and a towel and I'll be ready for anything! :)
    Why couldnt you post here before??

First aid kit sounds decent, where did ya get it?

Why couldnt you post here before??

First aid kit sounds decent, where did ya get it?

+1, not seen any cheap first aid kits with one of "those mask things for CPR" so it sounds good to me.

Edit> putting words in Cliona99's mouth here but perhaps she didn't think she had anything to contribute before?

+1, not seen any cheap first aid kits with one of "those mask things for CPR" so it sounds good to me.

Edit> putting words in Cliona99's mouth here but perhaps she didn't think she had anything to contribute before?

I've spoken to women before who told me the perceived macho culture of survivalism combined with a fear of being ridiculed for being ignorant has put them off contributing to discussions like these.

It's probably not helped by the fact that most post-apocalyptic scenarios in the media show women going back to traditional barefoot and pregnant roles - a pretty hard pill to swallow if you're some high powered exec to think that one day you'll only be valued for your ability to have children and make sandwiches!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

I've spoken to women before who told me the perceived macho culture of survivalism combined with a fear of being ridiculed for being ignorant has put them off contributing to discussions like these.

The only reason I couldn't post here before was that I hadn't done anything to prepare! (apart from buying two of things when grocery shopping- thanks Bonnie) The macho thing doesn't bother me, and I'm well-adjusted to my ignorance in most areas :)

The kit is this one from good old Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000XY51UC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(What are those mask things called btw?)

Advertisement