Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loony Preacher

Options
  • 21-08-2007 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

Did anyone see the Loony Preacher at the top of Grafton Street today with his crap amplifier? He was there around 2 o'clock in the afternoon when I got off the Luas until the Gardai came along and told him to get lost (mainly because I phoned them).

He was yapping on about God and then started yelling for a few seconds about how Grafton Street was a place of sin. Then he yelled 'there's no Santa Claus, there never was a Santa Claus and there never will be a Santa Claus'

Anyway its illegal to use amplifiers when preaching in Dublin, I called the guards twice and then ten minutes after I called the second time I set off down Grafton street looking for a gardai on patrol when I came across two coming up. I stopped them and told them about yer man and they said they were heading up to deal with him.

I followed them up to see how he'd react and they had to talk to him for about five minutes before he agreed to move on and when he was talking to them he handed them religious pamphlets and told them he was spreading the word of God.

As another bystander commented: "I don't think the lift goes all the way to the top"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Demonique wrote:
    Anyway its illegal to use amplifiers when preaching in Dublin, I called the guards twice and then ten minutes after I called the second time I set off down Grafton street looking for a gardai on patrol when I came across two coming up. I stopped them and told them about yer man and they said they were heading up to deal with him.

I followed them up to see how he'd react and they had to talk to him for about five minutes

Much time on your hands?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Why do i ALWAYS miss the funny ones on Grafton Street?

The only amusing thing I saw there recently was a few Saturdays ago, a drunk 60 something year old English guy staggered out of McDonalds topless singing and dancing, rubbing his arse against the people who had gatehered around!They were all throwing money at him though:D

EDIT: Collie D, I didn't want to be the one to say it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Sounds fair enough to me, don't want to listen to some codger yelling about god and santa.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Collie D wrote:
    Much time on your hands?
    Says the lad who spends half his day in an imaginary pub! Don't mind that ninny Demonique, Pighead for one is delighted you've brought this excellent topic to the masses. Bravo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

did he have a simplistic painting behind him with a grve on it with the writing *rich fool*

and was the amplifier a little wooden one?

And was he this bearded hairy guy?

If so...He moved up to O Connell/talbot street to continue his spiel.

He was going on about how nobody knows when they are gonna die, that 95 people died falling down stairs last year.

Gave up listening after that and headed home. That was around 4 I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Demonique wrote:
    Did anyone see the Loony Preacher at the top of Grafton Street today with his crap amplifier? He was there around 2 o'clock in the afternoon when I got off the Luas until the Gardai came along and told him to get lost (mainly because I phoned them).

He was yapping on about God and then started yelling for a few seconds about how Grafton Street was a place of sin. Then he yelled 'there's no Santa Claus, there never was a Santa Claus and there never will be a Santa Claus'

Stop it, stop it! He didn't mean it! ;_;

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There's one on Shop street who belts out the words of god all day long.
    I haven't been saved yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Demonique

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    did he have a simplistic painting behind him with a grve on it with the writing *rich fool*

and was the amplifier a little wooden one?

And was he this bearded hairy guy?

No on all three counts, he had a battery operated amplifier with a microphone and speakers, albeit a small, crap one.

He had jeans and a blue jacket and a balding patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

biko wrote:

no hope for ya :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

Does anyone remember the guy who used to be near talbot street outside cafe kylemore dancing for jesus?

He was good for a laugh, really seemed into "spreading the word" and what not. He was fairly harmless and most people seemed to enjoy the act.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

biko wrote:
    Wtf Biko?A thread concerning Grafton street, and no mention of where it might possibly be better suited?
    I'm shocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Dublin forum tbh

Oh no, wait, thats right, I hate those posts :D

In fairness why bother calling them? Hes obviously some nut who isnt the full shilling, let him have his rant, at least until some guards happen to pass by and take issue (its Grafton Street, they go up and down constantly)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Pighead wrote:
    Says the lad who spends half his day in an imaginary pub! Don't mind that ninny Demonique, Pighead for one is delighted you've brought this excellent topic to the masses. Bravo.

Ah Runt of the Litter, jealous you didn't get to shoot down the thread for once and call all concerned fcunking cnuts?

themole wrote:
    Does anyone remember the guy who used to be near talbot street outside cafe kylemore dancing for jesus?

He was good for a laugh, really seemed into "spreading the word" and what not. He was fairly harmless and most people seemed to enjoy the act.

He wasn't that dancing priest that inspired the dancing priest on Father Ted? Ya know, the eejit who ran out onto the track at Silverstone causing race cars going at 200mph to swerve to avoid him and later cost some guy from somewhere in South America first place in some marathon (Olympic marathon, if I recall correctly) by jumping out of the crowd and knocking him over just minutes (or maybe it was seconds) from the finish line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

what? you mean there's no santa?, me cries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

Demonique wrote:
    He wasn't that dancing priest that inspired the dancing priest on Father Ted? Ya know, the eejit who ran out onto the track at Silverstone causing race cars going at 200mph to swerve to avoid him and later cost some guy from somewhere in South America first place in some marathon (Olympic marathon, if I recall correctly) by jumping out of the crowd and knocking him over just minutes (or maybe it was seconds) from the finish line?
    No, not that disgrace, forgot about that guy.

The guy i remember was a black african guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭constellation

You haven't experienced a Loony Preacher until you've been to Brixton tube station.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I've seen and heard a mad preacher at the top of Grafton St. numerous times - it didn't occur to me to call the police (Twice).

What exactly was your problem with him- the preaching, the amplifier, or the Santa lie? (Are you aurally dyslexic - I'm sure he meant Satan, kiddies.) Tell me, what number did you use?

#Elites wrote:
    passed him and heard the santa bit..why did you call the gards :confused: i mean what is it doing to you?

Because:

1) my niece could have been with me and heard the Santa bit
    2) the crap amplifier had a lot of interference and it was irritating
    3) I dislike religious fundie freaks

Karoma wrote:
    (Are you aurally dyslexic - I'm sure he meant Satan, kiddies.)

Yes, I'm sure there's such thing as Satan Claus,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Demonique wrote:
    Because:

1) my niece could have been with me and heard the Santa bit

If she had been, make her stay for the rest of the speech. After hearing the rest of his sh1te she probably wouldnt believe him if he told her the sky was blue*

*: well, on second thoughts, given the weather of the past 10 odd weeks I wouldnt believe it either.

Advertisement