Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[PR] Cullen Launches Foreign Language Road Safety Initiative

Options
  • 20-03-2006 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.transport.ie/viewitem.asp?id=7378&lang=ENG&loc=1887
    Cullen Launches Foreign Language Road Safety Initiative
    15 March 2006

Road Safety & the Law in Ireland now available in 10 languages

Gardai outline St. Patrick's Bank Holiday weekend road safety campaign

In what the Transport Minister has described as a "proactive response to a changing Ireland", Martin Cullen TD today (Tuesday, 14th March 2006) launched a new foreign language road safety campaign.

The new campaign, targeting minority ethnic groups in Ireland, will include leaflet and poster road safety information in eight foreign languages. This means that in addition to Irish and English, road safety information is now available in Russian, Polish, Latvian, Lithuanian, French, Portuguese, Arabic and Chinese.

Launching the initiative, Transport Minister, Martin Cullen TD said: "Today is a proactive response to a changing Ireland. The number of minority ethnic groups and migrant workers living in Ireland has increased in recent times and it is important that integration into the community is given a high priority.

"The tragic collision in Donegal some weeks ago in which 5 migrant workers lost their lives is one example that collisions can affect all members of the community. A language specific to nationalities should assist in getting the message across to all road users."

The objective of the campaign is to provide road safety information to the various minority ethnic groups in Ireland. It focuses on legal requirements and road safety advice when driving in Ireland. It includes information on licence, tax and insurance, the National Car Test (NCT), speed limits, penalties for breech of speed limits, seatbelt regulations and drink driving laws, drink driving, seatbelt wearing and the use of child car seats by children.

In addition, Minister Cullen joined with Garda Assistant Commissioner, Eddie Rock and Acting CEO of the National Safety Council, Noel Brett in outlining details of the 'Tolerate This' Road Safety Campaign. The anti-drink driving push focuses on the St. Patrick's Bank Holiday weekend.

Minister Cullen said: "Visible enforcement, robustly applied is a key component of tackling those who flout road traffic laws. The 'Tolerate This' campaign, targeting drink driving in particular, is a concerted effort aimed at reckless and irresponsible drivers."

ENDS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Shame he's spending all this money launching foreign language road safety initiatives when the Irish road safety is being shat on by Irish drivers because of a retarded learning/testing policy.

Funny too that most of the foreigners have better driver training than we get here, and they're the ones that the government are trying to teach?

pacman.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

Shame he's spending all this money launching foreign language road safety initiatives when the Irish road safety is being shat on by Irish drivers because of a retarded learning/testing policy.

Funny too that most of the foreigners have better driver training than we get here, and they're the ones that the government are trying to teach?

pacman.gif

Not that funny when there is talk that 20% of (fatal?) accidents involve non-nationals

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

gilroyb wrote:
    Not that funny when there is talk that 20% of (fatal?) accidents involve non-nationals
    And 80% don't.

I think it is a good thing to do given that foreigners do seem to be over represented in the stats but please, lets not forget about the 80% of incidents that are caused by / involve home grown drivers.

My concern is that this is used as an excuse to not bother doing anything else. Next year when asked what they have done they will point to this and say "aren't we brilliant?"

Driver training needs to be sorted, law enforcent needs to be [strike]improved[/strike]started.

I was driving in the North over the weekend. It is so much more relaxing. I did not see a single learner driver driving a car by themselves, which is as it should be. I didn't see a single learner on the motorway, not so sure I agree with this. And for the entire time I was there, Thursday night until Sunday night I did not see a single red light broken. Not one. People stop on amber up there, it is amazing.

MrP

Advertisement